Academic misconduct when applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navybluedreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm currently applying to PT school and in PTCAS, they ask this question

Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or university for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?

In my first year of undergrad I was involved in a minor offense involving me clicking for one of my friend's in class. My consequence was to get 5% off my total grade in that class. I was put onto honors probation until I graduated but I was also told my probation was not put on my transcript. My misconduct was a foolish mistake and I hate that I did it. I'm not a liar or a cheater and just made a stupid decision several years ago.

I'm now in a major internal debate that is crippling me from submitting my application. Some people are telling me to mark no because it's not on my transcript/no one will ever know/it was a minor offense, but others are saying that I should just be honest. I feel like the situation is like a double-edged sword. I was wondering if anyone was in a similar position when they were applying and they were able to still get into a program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That is certainly a tough situation. You can always be truthful and then explain in an essay how you have learned from your mistake. Assuming the rest of your application is solid, I dont think it would prevent you from getting into schools.

If you say "No" and schools find out about it, that would certainly be worse, because then you would have to explain why you put "No."

Say yes. Tell them you were a foolish teenager when you did it. It wasn't a major offense so you don't need to lie about it. There's always a chance that the schools will find out and then they will think you're dishonest. Then you definitely will not get into PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about scholastic warning? It's on my transcript, which makes me want to say yes to the question about any misconduct. But the thing is is that it was a WARNING, not a probation or dismissal.
Thoughts?

It's always better to just report the full truth and then explain it maturely. Trying to sweep things under the rug and hope you don't get caught is higher risk and more anxiety-inducing than honesty.

Reactions: 1 user