Academic Neurologists- Research requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90sportsfan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find this topic in my direct search, so apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm curious what the research requirements are for an academic neurologist. I am going to be an M4 and have honed in on Neurology and Rads, but am leaning towards Neurology.

I think I would very much enjoy an academic environment, and I think I would enjoy doing some reasearch. What I am curious about is what the actual research "requirements" are for an academic neurologist? Is it stressful to the point where you need to stress out about getting grants or is it more relaxed where you can participate and engage in your department's research, but not have to stress about getting grants?

Basically, I think I would enjoy academics and the combination of clinical care with some research on the side, but I don't think I'd enjoy it if I'd had to stress out about having to constantly get research grants.

Can someone who works in or is familiar with academic neurology provide any insights on this?

Thank you greatly in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In academics you can be either a clinician (~85-90% clinical time with the rest being various teaching, administrative tasks) or a clinician-scientist (usually at least 60-70% funded/protected for research). Being a clinician and "doing a little research on the side" is a commonly expressed delusion by med students and residents, as you simply can't stay at the forefront of any field spending a half-day on it once a week, much less be competitive for the funding you need to actually do the research. If you want to be an academic clinician then do that and own it, and spend your little bit of free time reading stuff on PubMed.

Reactions: 2 users
Think chart review type junk, case reports and reviews, basically CV filler. Having an actual productive research career is very difficult if you want to work full time as a clinician.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Think chart review type junk, case reports and reviews, basically CV filler. Having an actual productive research career is very difficult if you want to work full time as a clinician.
You don't really even need to do that. The criteria for advancement along a clinical track in most places has more to do with regional reputation, recommendations from outside your institution, community outreach, etc.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! It is encouraging. Yes, I would want to be a "clinical track" rather than a clinician-scientist (tenure track). I guess my question was more along the lines of how much research is actually "required" on the clinical track. It sounds like if you are on this track, not much is actually "required" but you could have the ability to do some if interested (in the little time you have). This is the answer I was hoping for, so thank you all for confirming!

I am most interested in clinical and teaching, but I would also like to be engaged in research to some degree; just not to the degree of a clinician-scientist (tenure) level. It sounds like academic neurology would offer me what I'm looking for.

Unless you want to work at a big name place most academic programs are desperate for faculty. Non-name place all clinical 200-220k per year is standard with a 0.5 admin day per week. Many places have infrequent call, and it is even possible to get 30min f/u 1hr new or approx 10-15 pt per clinic day. Much easier than private practice, but less money. Name places will chop that salary in half, in a HCOL area as well, and tend to treat junior faculty poorly. Academic neurology at a non-name place all clinical is a nice stable gig if you aren't trying to hussle. No research expected for many of these places, but will be hard to get promoted without publishing. However, it isn't like they will pay you much better if you do get promoted anyways- the dept chair will make less than the private practice office across the street cranking out patients.

Reactions: 1 users