Academic probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye-Doc-1900

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My freshman year I was on academic probation twice. I have 3 semesters before graduation and 2 before applying to optometry school. I currently have a 2.95, and I've yet to have taken the oat. However on my practice exams I've seemed be around a 315. Currently I'm shooting for a 3.2 gpa by application time. As well as 330 on the oat. I would like to know how well do I stand a chance of getting into optometry schools whith low averages. Such as MCPHS, Western California, and both Midwesterns. However, I really want to get in to Arizona or Texas Incarnate.
Personal:
First gen.
Immigrant
Minority
Poor family :unsure:
Acdemic:
Academic probation. Freshman year
Microbiology major
Experiences:
Shadowing
Student government
BSA
Pre-health club
Volunteer

Members don't see this ad.

If you manage to reach your gpa and oat goals, I’d say you got a fighting chance. Write a good personal essay to make yourself stand out. If you get invitations to interviews, be prepared to explain those probations. Good luck!

Definitely reach your GPA and OAT score goals. I come from a similar background, but when it comes to grad school in the health professions, you have to show that you're prepared regardless of where you come from.

I would shoot higher on the OAT scores, and try to do better on subjects you may have gotten worse grades in. Contact admissions staff to see what advice they can give you, too. I personally believe talking to the admissions staff helped me a bunch on my applications, not only because they could give me direct advice but also because once I was admitted I was a familiar name.

Best of luck! Don't sell yourself short, you can do it!