Academic violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigTOOTHguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just take preemptive action. Go ahead and e-mail schools that you'll be applying to and tell them about this violation. Full disclosure is key.

I don't think this will hinder you at all, but schools should appreciate you letting them know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, list it there, and email them too.

Just fully disclose anything and everything otherwise it is seen as lying. As Glimmer said, list it on AADSAS and if you already submitted, then email the admissions department at each school you applied to. Good luck

Might be worth it to call your school. I just spoke to my conduct office at school to double check and there was a disorderly conduct from my first week at the school in 2007. She said the only way they'll release it is if I sign off allowing a school to check.

I think emailing the schools is overkill, especially for such a minor thing. Just disclose it on the application and you'll be fine. I had a violation myself and it wasn't a problem, definitely didn't think about calling the schools as they saw it on my application. They will mostly just laugh it off as they did with mine.

Might be worth it to call your school. I just spoke to my conduct office at school to double check and there was a disorderly conduct from my first week at the school in 2007. She said the only way they'll release it is if I sign off allowing a school to check.
I remember reading on one school's website that they check this sort of thing before students matriculate. They also require students to send them official transcripts directly before matriculation. Not sure if this is a common thing, but it's something to keep in mind and check on before you try to hide your disciplinary action.
@Glimmer1991 there is a spot on the AADSAS form for violations, should I list it there as well as email schools?
Just disclose it on the application and don't email. If you submitted without disclosing, then you should get in touch with admissions offices.

An e-mail might not be necessary, but I don't see where it could hurt. If anything, it gives the OP more characters to describe the situation and just how minor it actually was. I'm not sure how many characters you get on the AADSAS app, but I'm sure it isn't many. I'd just rather err on the side of caution.

Could you maybe say, "Though I did not know it at the time, this violated..."

Or did you know? :)

Otherwise, that is good. It is so bogus that this is on your record, LOL! I know fire safety is important, but I'm guessing this was an honest mistake. It's not like this reflects on your character or anything. You'll be perfectly fine.

Also, after reading what you've written, the e-mail is probably unnecessary. I agree with GJMeig to just leave it at that. For most people, I think an e-mail is the smart move... but this is an exception. :)

I got accused of honor code violation but then was proven innocent. Should I list that in the application since there was a temporary hold on my account?

I would just list all and not risk it. It gives you an area to explain the circumstances.