academic vs private practice jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supercut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm PGY3 in surgery becoming increasingly miserable and thinking of making the switch, primarily for lifestyle issues.

What I've seen at some of our private hosiptals in town is that the anesthesiologists don't seem to have that much better of a lifestyle. They staff their own rooms, have no breaks, lots of pressure to turn over super fast (hence no lunch) and are stuck in the room as late as it goes. It seems they probably aren't on call as often as surgeons are, and they rotate so that everyone gets to take turns being the one who goes home at a reasonable time.

Compare that to the academic mother ship. One attending anesthesiologist to 3 rooms, in for induction, emergence and any issues. Everybody (staff and residents) gets a lunch break, and everyone is relieved by a certain time at night by people there to cover night call (even the attendings)

So...I'm looking at the lifestyle of an attending in an academic center as being most compatible with my other goals in life.

My question is are those jobs harder to come by than an private practice model where you can get stuck in the OR til pm or later?

Members don't see this ad.

Academic jobs are easy to find but the money isn't that good.
Private practice is not always hard, but in general harder than academia and requires a certain type of personality.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I think we have to qualify here that academic jobs still pay in the $200,000-230,000 starting range. Not too bad if you step back and say, well what does an internist or a surgeon really make. After a couple of years the salary can definately rise to the respectable range. Of course the cases might be a little different but you can even insulate yourself from a lot of this because academia tends to specialize itself (peds team, peds heart team, transplant, cardiac, neuro, etc.).

the "bend-over-and-grab-yer-ankles-with-a-smile-on-yer-face" kind of personaliity.

Thanks for explaining the private practice model. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to seal all the windows in my house and turn the gas on.