Academy Series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JR

One Ophthalmology attending, who also happens to be a good friend of mine, has suggested that I should get my hands on the Academy Series and start working on it during my internship. For all the residents out there- do you guys think it is a good idea? Or should I just stick to Kanski and/or academy-published books?

Thanks for your opinions,

Members don't see this ad.

JR said:
One Ophthalmology attending, who also happens to be a good friend of mine, has suggested that I should get my hands on the Academy Series and start working on it during my internship. For all the residents out there- do you guys think it is a good idea? Or should I just stick to Kanski and/or academy-published books?

Thanks for your opinions,

I don't think the Academy series is that helpful for interns. The books are comprehensive and difficult to digest. The series becomes more useful and understandable as residents gain more experience. It was slow reading the Academy books my first year, but with greater understanding during the PGY-3 year, reading the Academy series was more helpful and meaningful.

I'd stick with the Wills Eye Manual and Kanski if you feel the need to read during your internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Andrew. About the only book that will make sense as an intern is the medicine book and possibly some of the comprehensive ophthalmology book. Also, our program gave us a copy of the books, yours may also. I would check b/c they are very expensive, over 500.00 I believe, even for members

The attending I mentioned before actually offered to let me borrow his Academy Series (circa 1997/98). I am actually half-way through volume I right now- it doesn't seem that bad (even at my level); however, it is only anatomy/histology/embryology at this point. I'll read on untill I get lost :smuggrin: