Accelerated Nursing Program to boost GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPassin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
HCE: 1.5 years clinical 3 years non clinical
sciGPA 3.09, non sciGPA 2.90, cGPA 3.03

My first two years of college crushed my GPA (didn't know what I wanted to do). I obviously need to bump up my GPA. I have looked into a few nursing programs and found an Prelicensure Accelerated BSN program (4 semesters). I was thinking this would be a solid way to bump up my GPA while creating a back up plan simultaneously.

The program offers interviews based on final sci pre req GPA and a standardized test. My GPA for them would be competitive (3.8).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused. The rest of your posts are in PT, and now you are talking about a nursing program. This forum is for pre-meds (i.e. folks planning for a career as a physician). Are you changing your mind on your route?

If so, nursing is a big no-no as an educational path. Those already nurses who then go to med school ok (but not great and face an uphill battle often), but go deliberately take nursing classes to "boost your GPA" is a red flag. Don't do it if your plans are to be a physician.

Those already nurses who then go to med school ok (but not great and face an uphill battle often), but go deliberately take nursing classes to "boost your GPA" is a red flag. Don't do it if your plans are to be a physician.
:thumbup:

Going straight from a nursing program to applying to medical school is going to seem impulsive, and you're going to have to explain why, in less than a year, you are suddenly now dedicated to becoming a physician. If your GPA is the problem, you're much better off taking more undergrad classes or doing an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take (or retake) upper division science classes to boost your GPA. Only enter the accelerated BSN program if you really want to be a nurse.
1. The training is different than what you find in medical school.
2. You will have a large hill to climb in trying to convince adcoms that you are dedicated to becoming a physician.
3. If you get in, you will be taking a slot away from someone who wants to be a nurse.

Work on your application (GPA, ECs, etc.) and then apply next year. If you don't get into medical school then start looking at the back-up plans.

Do a search. Lots of in depth info why this is an awful idea.

Oh yea, and don't do it.

Allied health programs make much better "back up plans" than nursing, although those programs would be leery of admitting someone who has no intention of continuing in their trained profession.

He who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right.

Great feedback. That's why I asked.

Thank you all.