Accept offer at Pitt or stay waitlisted at Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talyn86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out today that I’ve been waitlisted at my dream school, Cornell. I would absolutely love to attend there, but I’ve also been accepted by my second choice, Pitt. WL movement likely won’t start until May. I’m tired of playing the waiting game but I don’t think I’m quite ready to give up. Relevant pros/cons:

Cornell
  • Debt-free initiative - this would be amazing for me, coming from a working class family and being a first-gen student. My parents, who have worked nonstop to help pay for my education, would be so relieved.
  • Huge focus on global medicine - my intended career path
  • Support for the arts and the Music & Medicine Initiative - music is one of my biggest passions
  • Just really loved the vibe on interview day
Pitt
  • Went to Pitt for undergrad; I like Pittsburgh a lot, but would really like to move to a new city and get a fresh start
  • Close to home (1 hour vs. 6 hours for Cornell) - mostly a positive but family could also be distracting
  • Roughly the same opportunities/prestige as Cornell
  • Better housing situation than Cornell
I'm just ready for some certainty in my life, tbh. I'm very much a planner, and that's what makes the waitlist seem so daunting. Not expecting you all to make the decision for me, but I would really appreciate any input/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet, it looks like I won't get my financial aid package until sometime in April. I'm willing to take out whatever loans are necessary to get me through med school; obviously no loans would be ideal though.

Well, you can do both, no? Accept and plan to go to Pitt. You can remain on waitlists as long as you like.

You're in a good position overall, Pitt is fantastic.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not yet, it looks like I won't get my financial aid package until sometime in April. I'm willing to take out whatever loans are necessary to get me through med school; obviously no loans would be ideal though.
I've been the same way about one of my waitlists. Part of me wants to just move on so I can start planning for the next step, and the other part wants to wait and see, just in case I get off the waitlist.

My advice is to keep sticking with the waitlist if it will be a big financial difference for you. I know it sucks not being able to plan anything, but you've waited this long to go to med school. Why not wait just a little bit longer before committing to Pitt.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be best if you wait and see what happens with Cornell. You can actually accept Pitt and then choose Cornell later if you get in off the waitlist after April 30th.

In most situations, I'd say forget the school that waitlisted you and just go with one of your other offers (Pitt is as objectively as good of a school as Cornell, so you're still gonna get a great education...but I understand wanting to be at your dream school). But because of the possibility of debt-free education, I think it's worth accepting Pitt and then seeing what happens with Cornell.

Reactions: 1 users
Realize that Cornell's Debt Free is all need-based. You can estimate need based EFC by using any undergraduate EFC calculator .. I say undergraduate because the graduate calculators don't use parental income whereas med schools do.

Realize that Cornell's Debt Free is all need-based. You can estimate need based EFC by using any undergraduate EFC calculator .. I say undergraduate because the graduate calculators don't use parental income whereas med schools do.
My EFC is 0 according to FAFSA. It’s been 0 every year throughout college because my parents both work in the service industry.

Accept the offer and stay waitlisted. If you get accepted to Cornell and get that sweet aid, go to Cornell.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you planning to send a LOI?

Yes, I did yesterday. Right now I'm planning to stay on the waitlist at least until I get my financial aid package from Pitt. At that point I'll decide if the waiting is worth the added stress/uncertainty. And if so, I will probably stay on at least until the first wave of waitlist movement.

Yes, I did yesterday. Right now I'm planning to stay on the waitlist at least until I get my financial aid package from Pitt. At that point I'll decide if the waiting is worth the added stress/uncertainty. And if so, I will probably stay on at least until the first wave of waitlist movement.
I would say stay on WL until CTE date but assume you are going to Pitt and plan accordingly. No need to stress out, you know how good Pitt is

Just found out today that I’ve been waitlisted at my dream school, Cornell. I would absolutely love to attend there, but I’ve also been accepted by my second choice, Pitt. WL movement likely won’t start until May. I’m tired of playing the waiting game but I don’t think I’m quite ready to give up. Relevant pros/cons:

Cornell
  • Debt-free initiative - this would be amazing for me, coming from a working class family and being a first-gen student. My parents, who have worked nonstop to help pay for my education, would be so relieved.
  • Huge focus on global medicine - my intended career path
  • Support for the arts and the Music & Medicine Initiative - music is one of my biggest passions
  • Just really loved the vibe on interview day
Pitt
  • Went to Pitt for undergrad; I like Pittsburgh a lot, but would really like to move to a new city and get a fresh start
  • Close to home (1 hour vs. 6 hours for Cornell) - mostly a positive but family could also be distracting
  • Roughly the same opportunities/prestige as Cornell
  • Better housing situation than Cornell
I'm just ready for some certainty in my life, tbh. I'm very much a planner, and that's what makes the waitlist seem so daunting. Not expecting you all to make the decision for me, but I would really appreciate any input/advice!
Debt-free plus the high prestige of Cornell? Sounds awesome. I am looking to mix things up by attending school out of my area while staying would be very easy. If it was a debt-free opportunity too, I would be packing my bags now!

Reactions: 2 users