Acceptable Non-Science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tripolitania

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was the seminar on? Was there a specific topic or was it just general tips on academic performance? Were you graded in this course or was it pass fail? Your non science professor should be able to write about your academic performance, so if there was graded work and this professor was able to talk about it, then it should be fine. But if your seminar was like what I remember mine being back in college where you just went over studying tips, it might (edit: not) be adequately reflect your academic history.

Last edited:
The first seminar was regarding developing academic, professional, and motivational skills; the second one was regarding transitioning out of university and reflecting upon the various skills, competencies, and traits acquired with an emphasis on career exploration.

The course was letter graded and there were various projects, papers, and class discussions sprawled throughout the semester; so they should be able to talk about the course work I completed.
I'm not loving this. I get that you have a good relationship with the prof and therefore want a letter from him/her, but the course isn't really academic at all, and certainly not social science/humanities. It was study skills entering school and professional skills exiting. I get why the school wanted you to take them, but your professor's observations of your performance in those "classes" are not really what a med school is interested in when evaluating you as a candidate. YMMV, but I'd pick a prof from an actual 3 credit class.