Acceptance Karma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3 little birds

Breathe.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting down to the wire so here's a note for those holding multiple acceptances:

Decide quickly and don't accept positions just to sit on a huge pile of choices. Your second choice is someone's dream school. Free up somene else's dream school and who knows...a spot might open up at your dream school.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously. It's not cool to lead schools that you have no intention of attending on.

Pull out already.

Especially if it's UMB. Or any of my other pending schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 little words: Financial aid packages.

Seconded. I'm not withdrawing from anywhere until I see what kind of financial aid package they offer. I'd go to any of the schools I've interviewed at, some just would have to offer more than others, and I'm not making going to make any hurried decisions without seeing the full extent of my options.

Now if someone wouldn't go to a certain school even w/ a full-ride, that's a different story.

Seconded. I'm not withdrawing from anywhere until I see what kind of financial aid package they offer. I'd go to any of the schools I've interviewed at, some just would have to offer more than others, and I'm not making going to make any hurried decisions without seeing the full extent of my options.

Now if someone wouldn't go to a certain school even w/ a full-ride, that's a different story.
I think cegar worded it correctly. I don't want to rush those of you who have earned multiple acceptances and want to make a good choice about where to call home for the next four years, but like you said, keeping schools that ppl won't attend is a different story.

of course the financial aid thing is a BIG reason to hold whatever offers you have until the last minute. but personally, i don't see what's the big deal about holding offers. no matter how many schools you get into, you can only go to one. so whatever offers you hold and let go of, someone will fill those spots EVENTUALLY. what does it matter if they fill the spot in december or june.

i think if you've worked hard enough to garner multiple offers, you shouldn't rush to jump on anything. string it out as long as you feel you need to. this is a time where you've earned the right to be a bit selfish. :thumbup:

of course the financial aid thing is a BIG reason to hold whatever offers you have until the last minute. but personally, i don't see what's the big deal about holding offers. no matter how many schools you get into, you can only go to one. so whatever offers you hold and let go of, someone will fill those spots EVENTUALLY. what does it matter if they fill the spot in december or june.

i think if you've worked hard enough to garner multiple offers, you shouldn't rush to jump on anything. string it out as long as you feel you need to. this is a time where you've earned the right to be a bit selfish. :thumbup:

I agree that it is unreasonable to expect people to rush on their decisions. But there is a big difference between december and june. By june, the AAMC traffic deadline has passed and people will have committed to schools. So, holding an acceptance through June might cause someone to commit (financially) to their second choice but then be accepted by their first choice.

If you have a good reason to do so, by all means hold onto your acceptances. But June is probably a bit excessive, especially since many schools will offer financial aid packages as early as May.

Also, the joy of acceptance is not diminished by letting go of what you do not need. Rather, giving up a no-longer-needed acceptance should add the joy of knowing that you are helping out fellow applicants (and future colleagues).

I agree that it is unreasonable to expect people to rush on their decisions. But there is a big difference between december and june. By june, the AAMC traffic deadline has passed and people will have committed to schools. So, holding an acceptance through June might cause someone to commit (financially) to their second choice but then be accepted by their first choice.

If you have a good reason to do so, by all means hold onto your acceptances. But June is probably a bit excessive, especially since many schools will offer financial aid packages as early as May.

Also, the joy of acceptance is not diminished by letting go of what you do not need. Rather, giving up a no-longer-needed acceptance should add the joy of knowing that you are helping out fellow applicants (and future colleagues).

You can't hold multiple acceptances past May 15th, most schools try and get financial aid packages out by March or April. TexasMD2B was saying that what does it matter if school extends an acceptance to a waitlisted applicant in December compared to June. And the truth is, there's no real difference, provided that the applicant has done what s/he needs to:

If the waitlisted applicant has his/her financial aid file complete at the school, the school can give a financial aid package at the same time as an acceptance (or very soon after, at least quickly enough before you have to decide). Then that applicant can weigh finances and preference between the two schools, even if it's past May 15th, before having to commit to one or the other. So make sure that your financial aid file is complete soon at any school that you're interested in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools can find out that you're holding multiple acceptances past May 15th, and they can rescind their offer. You can hold as many waitlists as you want, but not acceptances.

Schools can find out that you're holding multiple acceptances past May 15th, and they can rescind their offer. You can hold as many waitlists as you want, but not acceptances.

Yeah, don't mess around with that. Schools get in trouble if they have students holding their acceptance past May 15th that also holds one or more other acceptances. They don't want to get in trouble, for obvious reasons, so they'll drop you in a heartbeat. Make sure you're down to one by May 15th.

As to the OP... I have to agree with the later posters. A big discount at a school might make a school look a whole lot better, so until the financial aid packages are out, I can't fault anyone for holding multiple acceptances. Even at places they are barely luke warm about. I know it's rough not knowing, but the waitlist will move eventually.

I'm in agreement with those above bringing up the point of financial aid. While there are some schools that I would definitely rather go to than others on my list, a sizable financial aid package could sway me either way.

That is why MD schools should adapt $1000 or $2000 non-refundable depasits.

what If you hold multi accept. and drop all but 1 but May 15 as the rule and one of the schools is so slow in updating your file and you get dropped by the school you really want. I have heard of people withdrawing months ago and are still on their roster.

what If you hold multi accept. and drop all but 1 but May 15 as the rule and one of the schools is so slow in updating your file and you get dropped by the school you really want. I have heard of people withdrawing months ago and are still on their roster.

That won't happen, and if it does, Im sure the school will re accept you if you explain the situation

That is why MD schools should adapt $1000 or $2000 non-refundable depasits.

This sounds like a very hateful/jealous:mad: comment by someone who can't spell DEPOSITS.

And yeah, the logic behind this would be to screw people out of holding more than one acceptance if they aren't rich [I don't even have multiple acceptances, and think this comment is beyond ridiculous]???

agreed
many people can afford those $1000 deposits and jerk around with the acceptances

This sounds like a very hateful/jealous:mad: comment by someone who can't spell DEPOSITS.

And yeah, the logic behind this would be to screw people out of holding more than one acceptance if they aren't rich [I don't even have multiple acceptances, and think this comment is beyond ridiculous]???

...and should also look up the use of the word, "adapt." I think what you were going for is, "adopt." Just FYI

Well considering that schools already have a list of people holding multiple acceptances (this has been confirmed for me directly by a member of financial aid at a school that will remain anonymous), if they were going to offer you a full ride I highly doubt they would wait until May to do it. If they are willing to invest that in you, you should know that in the pretty near future. If you haven't heard about a huge offer by then, your odds of getting one after being accepted for months is probably not that great.

I agree that you should hold onto a school if you would want to go there to see about the money. But waiting until the last possible second (ie May 14th) just seems silly to me, if the only reason you are doing it is because you don't want to withdraw in case 'something big' somehow happens.

Well considering that schools already have a list of people holding multiple acceptances (this has been confirmed for me directly by a member of financial aid at a school that will remain anonymous), if they were going to offer you a full ride I highly doubt they would wait until May to do it. If they are willing to invest that in you, you should know that in the pretty near future. If you haven't heard about a huge offer by then, your odds of getting one after being accepted for months is probably not that great.

I agree that you should hold onto a school if you would want to go there to see about the money. But waiting until the last possible second (ie May 14th) just seems silly to me, if the only reason you are doing it is because you don't want to withdraw in case 'something big' somehow happens.

Some people do get full-ride offers in April, and many more get decent-size scholarships around that time too. It seems even more silly to me to completely remove yourself from a chance at reducing your own debt by many thousands of dollars, even if the odds aren't fantastic. May 14th is admittedly very late to withdraw, but a lot of these financial aid packages won't come in until April, which is not too far from then.

Well considering that schools already have a list of people holding multiple acceptances (this has been confirmed for me directly by a member of financial aid at a school that will remain anonymous),

Doesn't this seem like it would bias an ADCOM's decision if they knew this information?

Suppose I really wanted to go to my cheap state school (who didn't make offers until the spring), but was already accepted at Mayo or Hopkins and my state school knew it. More than likely they would have to assume that I would rather go to the big name school than attend their school so they would be less likely to offer me a spot.

...perhaps they find out after May 15th.

Thats why you make a copy when you withdraw from a school so you have documentation when you withdrew from that school.

Doesn't this seem like it would bias an ADCOM's decision if they knew this information?

Suppose I really wanted to go to my cheap state school (who didn't make offers until the spring), but was already accepted at Mayo or Hopkins and my state school knew it. More than likely they would have to assume that I would rather go to the big name school than attend their school so they would be less likely to offer me a spot.

...perhaps they find out after May 15th.

They can't see if you are holding multiple acceptances until AFTER they accept you, so no, I don't see how this could hurt you. It actually makes it more likely that your state school will throw some money at you...they know the big names are after you, and want to do what they can to keep you. There is a whole other thread about the multiple-acceptance list already being out, and quite a few of us have confirmed being told this by different schools.

In regards to the other post about waiting until April to withdraw (I still don't know how to multiple quote!): I don't think waiting until April is ridiculously out of line, if you have contacted the school and they don't have your package ready until then. What I think is sort of selfish is holding multiples until the last possible days- where you would have to worry about being taken off a roster in time. I think that everyone who has earned their multiple accepts should take the time to decide where it would be best for them to go with regards to everything, but when the time is there just let them go!