Acceptance possibly rescinded? advice/insight needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanRoasted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally going to graduate in August because I needed extra time to complete my honors thesis. However, I received notification from my medical school that I needed a transcript with an undergraduate degree posted before August 11th, otherwise my acceptance would be rescinded. So I moved forward one of my graduation dates (dual degree student in u-grad) to May, handed in my paperwork last week, two days before the deadline for a May graduation, in order to avoid any possible problems.

I decided to call today just to double check everything, and my undergraduate school told me that I am still posted for an August graduation for both degrees, despite my numerous requests to be moved forward to May. They told me it was past the deadline for a May graduation at this point, so I asked them to audit my degree and confirm that I had completed my requirements ASAP. As of now, the degree is posted on my transcript and my undergraduate institution officially recognizes that I completed all the requirements and will be granted the degree. However, the next official degree conferral date is August 24th, a couple weeks after matriculation for my medical school. I contacted my medical school about this, and they said that the "August 24th date could be a problem." I sent them some additional things they asked for upon receiving word about my situation, but I won't hear back until Monday. I'm just wondering whether anyone knew of a precedent for this kind of thing? Or if they have advice/insight on the situation. Also, who within the school would make the final decision about something like this? Is there some kind of regulation that disallows medical schools from matriculating students that don't technically have a degree conferred to them? I know the best thing to do is wait and see, but this is driving me crazy right now and would love to have some peace of mind.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of the sillier situations I've heard about. I honestly don't see it being a problem, unless the person you've been in contact with is running on 3 cylinders.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like a problem of too many bureaucrats unwilling or unable to think outside of their own little world. If this continues to be an issue, the trick will be getting the ear of someone invested and intelligent enough to understand that you've fulfilled the obligations and this whole situation amounts to a technicality. If there is a dean of student services, or equivalent position, that might be a good place to start.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps your peace of mind there is definitely no overarching regulation that prevents medical schools from allowing acceptees without degrees to matriculate.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll be fine. Something similar happened to me but I was able to get my ugrad to just give me the degree after talking to enough people. If I hadn't, my school would probably have still let me matriculate.

As of now, the degree is posted on my transcript

Sounds like you already have a degree if it's already on your transcript, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind replies, everyone. I will official word back on Monday, but at least now I have an idea of what to do if the news is bad. Now hopefully I can get back to enjoying my weekend.

Sounds like you already have a degree if it's already on your transcript, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I technically do not have the degree until it is conferred, which happens on August 24th. The statement on my transcript simply says that the university recognizes I've completed all the requirements. Not exactly sure what the difference is, the degree audit office was not terribly clear.

This sounds like a problem of too many bureaucrats unwilling or unable to think outside of their own little world. If this continues to be an issue, the trick will be getting the ear of someone invested and intelligent enough to understand that you've fulfilled the obligations and this whole situation amounts to a technicality. If there is a dean of student services, or equivalent position, that might be a good place to start.

This, this, this, this, this. Don't underestimate the power of low level school officials to follow the rules without second thought for anything but the potential consequences to themselves. Escalate this to someone higher than an admissions counselor. This advice holds true when dealing with any school administrator who would rather screw you over than put their neck on the line doing something even remotely intelligent.

Reactions: 10 users
This is a good exposure to the absurdity that you will face when you apply for licensing in different states

Reactions: 4 users
This is a good exposure to the absurdity that you will face when you apply for licensing in different states
Was going to say the same thing. It's good practice to the bureaucratic BS you'll be exposed to in medical school and as a physician.

Dont EVER let something important dangle in the hands of a school administrator. In all areas of medicine including medical school, administration is your enemy. They are across the board useless *****s. Even the ones that seems really nice will eventually show their horns.

Reactions: 1 users
This, this, this, this, this. Don't underestimate the power of low level school officials to follow the rules without second thought for anything but the potential consequences to themselves. Escalate this to someone higher than an admissions counselor. This advice holds true when dealing with any school administrator who would rather screw you over than put their neck on the line doing something even remotely intelligent.

Strangely, this also applies to call centers. I was trying to get a 'letter of good credit' faxed from BoA, called them up, and all the customer service people just did was turf me somewhere else (seriously like 6 times with the 'thats not our department, lemme transfer your call' type bs.) I finally reached this guy who told me 'where I'm at, we don't have a fax machine'. I gave up.

Strangely, this also applies to call centers. I was trying to get a 'letter of good credit' faxed from BoA, called them up, and all the customer service people just did was turf me somewhere else (seriously like 6 times with the 'thats not our department, lemme transfer your call' type bs.) I finally reached this guy who told me 'where I'm at, we don't have a fax machine'. I gave up.

To be fair, this is how patients feel when doctors punt.