Acceptance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShowandTell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was looking through the 2014 MSAR to see which schools I should apply to, and had a quick question. I've noticed that for most of them, the guidelines state that if you receive an acceptance you have two weeks to decide(reject,accept, defer, etc.). How would the situation work out if you interviewed earlier in the cycle for a less preferable school(in terms of desire to attend), and were accepted more than two weeks before you received any word from your more preferred schools? It's kinda like if you have an application that's not "Superstar", I would think it may be risky to hinge your chances on waiting out the other school's notice and you should just accept? Is there any possibility that schools coordinate a specific date to send out acceptances or allow you more time to decide?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have two weeks to either decline or put down a deposit to hold yourself a seat in the class. If you get accepted to your desired school later, you can back out and get your deposit back. Can anyone confirm this?

Hey,

I was looking through the 2014 MSAR to see which schools I should apply to, and had a quick question. I've noticed that for most of them, the guidelines state that if you receive an acceptance you have two weeks to decide(reject,accept, defer, etc.). How would the situation work out if you interviewed earlier in the cycle for a less preferable school(in terms of desire to attend), and were accepted more than two weeks before you received any word from your more preferred schools? It's kinda like if you have an application that's not "Superstar", I would think it may be risky to hinge your chances on waiting out the other school's notice and you should just accept? Is there any possibility that schools coordinate a specific date to send out acceptances or allow you more time to decide?

You can hold more than one acceptance at a time up until May 15. The just want to hear back from you.

Edit: Yeah, you have to put down a deposit at some schools, but I think all MD schools (not DO) will refund that up until May 15.