acceptance question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SigurRos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are accepted at a school, and you choose to accept the offer by placing a 100 dollar deposit, are you bound to attend that school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just emailed my advisior about this and she said "You can hold as many as you like until May 14, 2008. On May 15, you can only hold one acceptance to medical school. You may stay on as many waitlists as you like."

So the answer to your question is no.

If you are accepted at a school, and you choose to accept the offer by placing a 100 dollar deposit, are you bound to attend that school?

No. You may hold as many acceptances as you like until May 15th. Then AMCAS reports to the schools and you may only hold one acceptance afterwards. But, you are still waitlist eligible after that date so you could be pulled off waitlist somewhere else.

Keep in mind, everyone reading this, that it is common courtesy to withdrawl from schools you are sure you would not attend after you get accepted to a school higher on your preference. By all means, hold the acceptances if you are unsure. But if you, lets say, get into your first choice, withdrawl from the others if you are sure because many people are waitlisted and this frees up a space for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a link to the AAMC "traffic rules," i.e., recommendations for schools and applicants regarding notification and acceptance of offers. According to these rules, for schools whose classes start on or after July 30, applicants may hold multiple acceptances until May 15.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

I think it is customary for schools that require tuition deposits to refund deposits until May 15. I am not sure that 100% of schools that require deposits do this, though.

if one is waitlisted at a school, when would be a good time to send letters of interest?

frequently.

Addendum:

worst case scenario: your fate is already decided and your interest is ignored
best case scenario: the school is one where showing extra interest is something that tips the scales. I honestly believe I was pulled from the waitlist b/c my school is one of these schools and I sent numerous LOIs (and a letter of intent) post-waitlist.

Does anyone know when scholarship and financial aid packages come out for most schools? Financial factors are very important to me when choosing a school.

BTW Jolie, congrats on VCU!!!

frequently.

Addendum:

worst case scenario: your fate is already decided and your interest is ignored
best case scenario: the school is one where showing extra interest is something that tips the scales. I honestly believe I was pulled from the waitlist b/c my school is one of these schools and I sent numerous LOIs (and a letter of intent) post-waitlist.

are acceptances off a waitlist likely to happen at any time or is it mostly just late spring?

Most schools I've been to have said February or March for the Financial Aid Info.