Acceptance Stats for Class of 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those who heard from WesternU..did you receive an email about your acceptance or did they use the portal to notify you (or both)? Thanks!
They sent an email stating a status change in the portal, then the acceptance packet arrived in a week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! it is finally my turn to post here!
1. 3.4 GPA
2. 486 MCAT (didn't think I would get anywhere this cycle)
3. Lots of EC, volunteering, shadowing, workshops, mission trip, research with Stanford and VA
4. Applied to all 9, interview to 5
5. Accepted so far at Western, CSPM, and Barry

Western and CSPM were my top choices, now that i got accepted to both, I am confused between the two. Does anyone have opinions/suggestions on which school may be the better pick?

Reactions: 3 users

Western and CSPM were my top choices, now that i got accepted to both, I am confused between the two. Does anyone have opinions/suggestions on which school may be the better pick?

Depends on what you value and prefer.
- Classes DPM only
- SoCal or NorCal
- Clinics you rotate through

Go with your gut. You will be there for 4 years. Pick the place that will give you the environment to do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. cGPA: 3.4 sGPA: 3.45
2. MCAT: 499
3. 50+ hours of shadowing a podiatrist, 200+ hours of volunteering at Kaiser, 100+ hours from American Red Cross, 1 year of lab research, half a year working as an Entomology lab technician, 80 hours of working as a Sexual Assault advocate.
4. I applied to Scholls, CSPM, Kent, NYCPM, AZPod, and Western.
5. Received interview invites from all of them
6. Went to interview only at Western and was later accepted ($2k scholarship). Declined all of the other invitations.

-Decided to go with Western because I’ve lived in SoCal my whole life and didn’t feel comfortable moving away from it. I’ve also become very comfortable with the campus because of the times I’ve spent visiting my cousins who were attending Western. I’m super excited for the Fall and can’t wait to meet everyone there!!!

Reactions: 7 users
1. 3.4 GPA
2. 486 MCAT (didn't think I would get anywhere this cycle)
3. Lots of EC, volunteering, shadowing, workshops, mission trip, research with Stanford and VA
4. Applied to all 9, interview to 5
5. Accepted so far at Western, CSPM, and Barry

Just an update, I chose CSPM. super excited to meet my classmates! Is there a Facebook group for this class?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty late to respond here but,

3.2 sGPA/3.3 cGPA, 508 MCAT, 10 hours shadowing podiatry, many more hours working as an assistant for one. 500+ hours of hospital volunteering and 1200+ hours of church volunteering (both of these volunteering things I forgot to put on my application...whoops...they still extended invitations to me without knowing about them)

Submitted Podiatry applications mid February. Within like 2 weeks, got invited to all 9 but I only attended the interviews at Western University and CSPM. Both were fantastic campuses. Got accepted to both back in March but decided to choose Western.

I hope to see some of you at Western this year :)

Reactions: 8 users
I'm pretty late to respond here but,

3.2 sGPA/3.3 cGPA, 508 MCAT, 10 hours shadowing podiatry, many more hours working as an assistant for one. 500+ hours of hospital volunteering and 1200+ hours of church volunteering (both of these volunteering things I forgot to put on my application...whoops...they still extended invitations to me without knowing about them)

Submitted Podiatry applications mid February. Within like 2 weeks, got invited to all 9 but I only attended the interviews at Western University and CSPM. Both were fantastic campuses. Got accepted to both back in March but decided to choose Western.

I hope to see some of you at Western this year :)

Great stats....Congrats and all the best!

I am beyond happy to be able to post in this thread!!!!

1. cGPA: 3.41, sGPA: 3.01
2. MCAT 488 -> 494
3. NYCPM & TUSPM Summer Internships, 350 hrs for the american red cross (some leadership), 75 hrs hospital volunteer, 20 hrs shadowing, 3800 hrs as a customer service associate & 1400 hrs as a pharmacy technician (5200 hrs of retail).
4. Applied to NYCPM & Temple. Interviewed at both.
5. Accepted to both and will be going to NYCPM!
Did you apply with the 488 MCAT or did you wait to retake it?? how did you study?

Did you apply with the 488 MCAT or did you wait to retake it?? how did you study?
Hi sorry for the late reply,
I applied after my retake because I didn’t want the chance of being denied an interview or having them doubt my possible score improvement without showing them results.
I used TBR my first time and did a lot of content review and not much practice problems. For my second time around, I focused more on practice problems and tried to understand how the test was wanting me to solve problems. I used a lot of UWorld and the AAMC practice material, as well as any review stuff from the MCAT subreddit.
Try and see where you are struggling (if it’s content, or problem solving, or both) and do well on your first time or retake!

Edit: was reading your other posts and would recommend contacting NYCPM about the C- in Orgo because they do require a minimum of C in the prerequisite classes. My school doesn’t even have a C- so I’m not sure where that falls into. Just some reassurance, I got a D in bio1, and asked them about what I should do and they told me to retake it, so I finished it up this semester. they asked about it during interview, so just explain any grades truthfully. They accepted me without seeing the final grade for Bio 1 so that was shocking. Your stats are good so just focus on doing well on the MCAT!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I applied after my retake because I didn’t want the chance of being denied an interview or having them doubt my possible score improvement without showing them results.
I used TBR my first time and did a lot of content review and not much practice problems. For my second time around, I focused more on practice problems and tried to understand how the test was wanting me to solve problems. I used a lot of UWorld and the MCAT practice material, as well as any review stuff from the MCAT subreddit.
Try and see where you are struggling (if it’s content, or problem solving, or both) and do well on your first time or retake!

Practice problems is the key to success. UWorld for the win

I used TBR my first time and did a lot of content review and not much practice problems. For my second time around, I focused more on practice problems and tried to understand how the test was wanting me to solve problems. I used a lot of UWorld and the AAMC practice material, as well as any review stuff from the MCAT subreddit.

Edit: was reading your other posts and would recommend contacting NYCPM about the C- in Orgo because they do require a minimum of C in the prerequisite classes. My school doesn’t even have a C- so I’m not sure where that falls into. Just some reassurance, I got a D in bio1, and asked them about what I should do and they told me to retake it, so I finished it up this semester. they asked about it during interview, so just explain any grades truthfully. They accepted me without seeing the final grade for Bio 1 so that was shocking. Your stats are good so just focus on doing well on the MCAT!
Thank you! I contacted them about it and they said that it wasnt a life or death situation (they required no gradelower than a C-), if my other science grades are good then I should be fine. I only have that C in gen chem and C+ in physics besides this C-, and the other two had upwards trends in higher level courses, so I wont be retaking the C- because I will not be able to before the application cycle.
As for the MCAT, it is really freaking me out.. I have panic attacks about it consistently and it has even made me second guess my career in medicine. I am amazing in the clinical field (as per my supervisors) but I really just get frozen when it comes to the Biochem and Orgo. I am doing content review and practice tests, my CARS and P/S sections are decent (~125 without review) but my BIOchem and Biosystems fall at around a (~120).
Did they ask about the first MCAT you took and why the score was so low?

For me at least, 2 schools in particular brought it up, and it was framed as a device to see how I had improved my study skills (i got a 492 the first time and a 500 the 2nd). The schools will likely frame it like that as well, not why did you do poorly, but how did you do better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt worry. As long as you can make a 490 MCAT, one of the larger schools will take you, provided your GPA is a 3.0+

Anyone know how low apps have been this year? Apps also make a big diffrence. 700 peeps applying for 500ish spots is a lot easier than 1200 peeps (I think 2015 app cycle had something like 1200 apps).

Thank you! I contacted them about it and they said that it wasnt a life or death situation (they required no gradelower than a C-), if my other science grades are good then I should be fine. I only have that C in gen chem and C+ in physics besides this C-, and the other two had upwards trends in higher level courses, so I wont be retaking the C- because I will not be able to before the application cycle.
As for the MCAT, it is really freaking me out.. I have panic attacks about it consistently and it has even made me second guess my career in medicine. I am amazing in the clinical field (as per my supervisors) but I really just get frozen when it comes to the Biochem and Orgo. I am doing content review and practice tests, my CARS and P/S sections are decent (~125 without review) but my BIOchem and Biosystems fall at around a (~120).

Reactions: 2 users
As Danny mentioned as well, they asked about how I improved and what I did differently rather than ask why I did bad the first time. They obviously see I did bad the first time but they see I improved on it. It’s a whole different story if you retake and do worse than the first time. That would require a lot of explaining.
I’m not sure when you plan on taking it or how much you’ve done so far, but if you have the time, go hard on the content review and practice problems for bio/chem. it might take awhile to see improvement but you’ll get there eventually.

As Danny mentioned as well, they asked about how I improved and what I did differently rather than ask why I did bad the first time. They obviously see I did bad the first time but they see I improved on it. It’s a whole different story if you retake and do worse than the first time. That would require a lot of explaining.
I’m not sure when you plan on taking it or how much you’ve done so far, but if you have the time, go hard on the content review and practice problems for bio/chem. it might take awhile to see improvement but you’ll get there eventually.

I honestly don’t feel incredibly confident in having a good score, mostly bc i havent been able to study as rigorously as I would like (work and personal issues) should I postpone my test? I won’t be applying til next cycle anyways.

I honestly don’t feel incredibly confident in having a good score, mostly bc i havent been able to study as rigorously as I would like (work and personal issues) should I postpone my test? I won’t be applying til next cycle anyways.
Well, the latest you can take is mid September and then next would be in January. That’s what I did Incase I needed a retake. Your stats are good enough for an application in March. You are more likely to get scholarships though early in so just try your best the first time. You honestly won’t ever feel ready for this test (especially while taking it).

Well, the latest you can take is mid September and then next would be in January. That’s what I did Incase I needed a retake. Your stats are good enough for an application in March. You are more likely to get scholarships though early in so just try your best the first time. You honestly won’t ever feel ready for this test (especially while taking it).
Can I PM you with some questions about NYCPM/TUSPM and the whole MCAT thing, don't feel like crowding a thread. Thank you for all your advise though, you're right I will probably never feel ready but the fact im getting most passage questions wrong in biochem and chem isnt really making me feel better lol.

Can I PM you with some questions about NYCPM/TUSPM and the whole MCAT thing, don't feel like crowding a thread. Thank you for all your advise though, you're right I will probably never feel ready but the fact im getting most passage questions wrong in biochem and chem isnt really making me feel better lol.
Yea, you can PM me, that’s no problem. If you have discord, it’d prob be easier that way.

Can someone that interviewed at Temple please message me? Thank you

1. CGPA 3.74, SGPA 3.6
2. Mcat 485
3. 25 hours of shadowing, 3000 hours of patient care hours, 2 years of volunteer church mission, fluent in Spanish
4. I applied to Scholls, CSPM, Barry, Kent, DMU, and Western.
5. Accepted to CSPM and Barry ($5K scholarship) and I am 80% sure that I will be attending CSPM.
Holy crap

1. cGPA 3.23, sGPA 3.17
2. MCAT 504
3. 4 years of shadowing same doc, 3000+ hours. Volunteered at nursing home of VA, 200 hours. Three years of research in mitochondrial medicine. SURF program for summer research in metabolism. One year of chemistry research, structural chemistry.
4. Applied to Kent, Temple, NYCPM
5. Accepted to Temple (11k scholarship), will probably go there. Have not interviewed at other schools yet.

1. CGPA 3.6, SGPA 3.5
2. MCAT 504
3. 10 hours of shadowing podiatrist, 100 hours shadowing others, 40 hours volunteering, published research article
4. Applied to DMU, Kent, Midwestern
5. Accepted to all with scholarships
How much was your scholarship for Midwestern, I've never seen anyone get a scholarship there?

1. cGPA 2.67, uSGPA 2.59, grad cGPA 4.0, grad sGPA 3.6
2. MCAT 496. 123/127/123/123
3. Registered CNA, HHA. Shadowed podiatrist for 100+ hours and over 3000 hours working as a HHA and CNA. Great ECs and letters of recommendation
4. Applied to Barry, Temple, NYCPM. Interviews at all three. Attended NYCPM
5. Accepted to NYCPM and will be attending!!

To the student looking through this for advice on their stats and for comparison, if I can do it then you can as well. The majority of people on here give great advice. Just because undergrad didn't go well for you for not mean all hope is lost. Read the forums!!

Thank you all for the great advice and I'm estatic to be starting in August of 2019 !!

Reactions: 7 users
As the June 30th deadline approaches, its good to see some great stats here for the class of 2023.

Congrats to all of you for getting a shot at being a DPM. This profession is what YOU make out of it so help each other out from day 1.

Good luck, study every day and also have fun.

:clap:

Reactions: 10 users
Interesting. I'm new to the podiatry threads but I was under the impression that Podiatry schools would be tougher to get into since there are only 9 schools. I see many sub 3.0 GPAs and sub 500 MCATs getting in. Is that the norm ?

Interesting. I'm new to the podiatry threads but I was under the impression that Podiatry schools would be tougher to get into since there are only 9 schools. I see many sub 3.0 GPAs and sub 500 MCATs getting in. Is that the norm ?

How many people do you know, want to work with feet?

Supply and demand.

Like the DPM average salary, our stats to get into a program is also....vacillating!!

:cigar:

The salary seems to be great so I'd guess more people would be interested. On top of that it seems like many people who can't get into MD/DO schools end up doing Pod as a backup so I'd except higher GPAs and MCATs at the very least if those people were confident enough to apply to medical schools to begin with.

The salary seems to be great so I'd guess more people would be interested. On top of that it seems like many people who can't get into MD/DO schools end up doing Pod as a backup so I'd except higher GPAs and MCATs at the very least if those people were confident enough to apply to medical schools to begin with.

Make another thread; I can answer your questions there. This thread is specifically for the accepted students and their stats!

The unsuccessful applicants with high GPA/MCAT just keep reapplying until they get in. I know a guy that got in on his 9th cycle. If you really want to be a medical doctor, nothing will stop you

1. cGPA: 3.81 sGPA: 3.69
2. MCAT: 496
3. ECs: +50 hours shadowing 2 pods and 5 mo. work experience as a pod assistant. +50 hours volunteering at a hospital. 3 years playing rugby in college and still playing now. Work experience at an ophthalmology clinic x 6 mo, various MD shadowing experiences. Research experience in micro and immunology.
4. Applied to all 9. Received interview invites from all 9. Attended Scholl, Temple, AZPOD, and DMU.
5. Acceptances to 4. Scholarships at Scholl (10K), Temple (8K), and DMU (6K, renewable).

Not entirely sure where to go. Torn between Scholl and Temple. If anyone can provide any insight at all regarding either school, I'd definitely appreciate it!

Your stats are great. Where did you end up going?

First post ever!

1. cGPA: 3.379 and sGPA: 3.300
2. MCAT: 486 (I know, super low. Did not think I would get into any school with this)
3. 230 hours of shadowing/volunteering a/for a podiatrist, 100 hours volunteering for a hospice, 2 years interning at a biotech company and currently working in biotechnology full time.
4. I applied to Scholl, New York, Midwestern, Temple, Kent, Western, and Des Moines.
5. Immediately rejected at Midwestern and Temple. Interviewed at Scholl, Western, Kent, and Des Moines and decided not to interview at New York.

Decided to accepted Western because of the curriculum, the weather, and how close to home it is. I am excited and terrified to start school again.
Did you hear back from scholl and did you get accepted?

I interviewed on 10/7, heard back on 10/17
if you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted? I interviewed the same day, but they received my mcat scores on 10/17 and last time I checked they said my application was being reviewed now by the committee.

if you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted? I interviewed the same day, but they received my mcat scores on 10/17 and last time I checked they said my application was being reviewed now by the committee.
I did get accepted, they had received my mcat scores prior to the interview so maybe thats why were able to get back to me quicker.

I had lower gpa and lower MCAT than yours. I took it twice and both of my scores were lower than your 1st try. However, my scores increased by couple points and they saw my improvement. They asked me what I did the last time to increase my score and I said I worked on my timing. That's all they asked me about MCAT. My only recommendation is to retake it at least once and see how you do.
Do you mind sharing stats with me and schools that accepted? I’m also in the same boat and really anxious and worried.