Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just received an offer off the waitlist for the penn state adult track last night. i'm super excited - anyone else thinking about/decided on penn state?

Congrats Iris! :thumbup: I am still waitlisted at two schools...you give me hope!

Members don't see this ad.

got an acceptance email from the PsyD program at IUP this afternoon :cool:

HI! I have been visiting your site for a few months now. You have all given me a lot of valuable information for my son. He will be graduating from his first 4 years and is now attending a university in Mt Plesant MI CMU. I read someone here has been accepted into that school and good for you. Not many are taken in yearly we didn't even try. We/He threw his hat into the ring for Antioc, Adler, Argosy, Indy and Roosevelt oh also Detroit Mercy. He tried for the psyd knowing it was a far reach but when I talked to all these colleges they told me that if he had any chance for the ph.d they would invite him with being able to go onto the psyd there (if accepted) later. So I figured we would go for them. Argosy called him as did Adler and Indy but they never followed up on the interview but by then my son had already made his pick of Adler in Chicago...I have been looking to see if anyone else is taking this route and haven't seen anything. It would be great to see if anyone is in the same boat as us and now have to find a place and start all over again. I wish all of you luck and you have all done well!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
HI! I have been visiting your site for a few months now. You have all given me a lot of valuable information for my son.

What devotion! A mom who posts for you. Why can't we all have this? Can all of you imagine if there was a SDN section devoted for parents. There would be great discussions and topics like:
1. My son is clearly smarter than your daughter so he deserves to get in to the school.
2. Your son only seems smarter because you and your husband paid for him to take a GRE prep class.
3. If your son is going to be at UCLA would you like him to meet our daughter. She is very pretty.
4. Our daughter just got accepted to Yale's clinical psychology program the same week my wife and I donated a new library to our Alma Mater!
5. We are pleased to announce that out daughter will be attending a school right in our city. My husband and I are psychologists. After years of research and practice we believe that all children should be kept at home until they are 30 years old. Our little Jill still sleeps in the same bed as us for true family bonding.
6. Thread: Divorced mother of clinical psychology Psy.D. student looking for a single man in his 50's, preferably a lawyer or CEO, to help pay the high tuition.
7. Thread: Parents who were rejected/ accepted at the same schools at which their kids are now being rejected.
8. Thread: Parents who accompany their children to Psychology graduate school interviews.
9. Thread: Parents who got into Psychology programs on their fist try vs. their dumb ass kids who waste our money applying mutiple times.
10. Thread: Secrets out children tell us from their research labs.
11. Thread: POI's who are also parents.
12. Thread: Are Canadian parents allowed on SDN?
13. Thread: Parents responses to the SDN Acceptance Thread:
Post#1. Thank God! Out of the house!
Post #2. I can't afford that!
Post #3. You are moving back in with us? What happened to California?
Post #4. Over my dead body!
14. Thread: Parents who had affairs with their children's POI (sponsored by Jerry Springer).
Post #1. How do I tell my daughter that her POI is really her father?
Post #2. I hope Prof. X is a better POI than he was in bed.

12. Thread: Are Canadian parents allowed on SDN?

My mom is WAY cooler than me. I've already told her she can never come on here because then you guys will like her better. :laugh:

haha my parents asked why i wasnt applying to princeton and harvard...

haha my parents asked why i wasnt applying to princeton and harvard...

:laugh: My dad's from a notoriously cheap cultural group so instead of asking why I didn't apply to Ivy Leagues, he said "whatever you do, don't apply to Ivy Leagues. I can't afford that crap"

haha...that thread listing was great. I will have to say that like applying for undergrad, my dad stayed completely out of this process and basically said, "I trust and support you with whatever you do and wherever you go." It is always nice to have parental support.

I swear though, my dad has more confidence than I do about getting off one of two wait lits.. He did have a funny comment today: "I want you to be done with this application process perhpas mre than you do." :cool:

My mom is a neuropsych... she's been dying to get on here, but i won't tell her how. The whole application process was unbelieveably easier when she went to grad school.

Well, let's see... After receiving a) a call from my POI telling me the person she was offering admission to would more than likely accept, b) a snail mail rejection from the school on Friday, c) an email rejection from the school on Friday, and d) finally making peace and accepting the fact that I'd be reapplying again this fall... my POI called again last night and offered me admission.

Talk about the possibility of coming off a waitlist! I still feel ridiculous writing it in here because it doesn't seem at all real.

I'm going to UW! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And a word of encouragement, you *can* get in straight out of undergrad... it really is possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
:D

That's still really all I've got as far as response at this point!

:D

I was offered admission to Saint Louis University, while visiting, for the I/O Psych PhD program. They said they can not give me departmental funding right now, however they said I could get an externship at a company because I already have applied experience and the company would pay for my tuition.

I was also informed earlier this week that I am first alternate at Auburn University for I/O Psych., and somewhere on "a select few" alternate list at the University of Central Florida.

I realize this is a Clinical forum, however if anyone knows much about the Auburn program, I would really appreciate some insight as everyone I know does not know much about the program.

Well, let's see... After receiving a) a call from my POI telling me the person she was offering admission to would more than likely accept, b) a snail mail rejection from the school on Friday, c) an email rejection from the school on Friday, and d) finally making peace and accepting the fact that I'd be reapplying again this fall... my POI called again last night and offered me admission.

Talk about the possibility of coming off a waitlist! I still feel ridiculous writing it in here because it doesn't seem at all real.

I'm going to UW! :D:D:D:D:D:D

And a word of encouragement, you *can* get in straight out of undergrad... it really is possible!

Wow, what a roller-coaster you've been on!!! Congrats!!

I am going CRAZY waiting for my POI to tell me one way or another whether I will get accepted from my spot "very high" on the waitlist. :eek:

Maybe if I get my Mom to email her... :laugh:

*sigh* ok give me your name and her number and I will call...:rolleyes:

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Score:

Grad School Admissions Process: 0

LosingMyMind: 1,000,000

You win!!!

Received a letter in the mail today that I'm waitlisted at St. Johns....I wonder if I can find out how high I am on the list. How did everyone else find out, just call the deparment?

Received a letter in the mail today that I'm waitlisted at St. Johns....I wonder if I can find out how high I am on the list. How did everyone else find out, just call the deparment?

Some people know they are first alternate and I think they heard by emailing their POI, or they got an email from the POI. Most of us, however, only know that we are on the waitlist, and might have heard that they are "high," or "very high." Nice and vague!

I'm going to UW!

I simultaneously cringed and smiled when I read your post. :eek: I had a similar experience with a school, but nowhere NEAR as ridiculous as this!!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.. :( but it had a super-happy ending, so CONGRATS to you!!! :D :D :D

I hope you don't let your POI hear the end of this anytime soon.. maybe get them to change the way they do admissions there, eh? :p

What devotion! A mom who posts for you. Why can't we all have this? Can all of you imagine if there was a SDN section devoted for parents. There would be great discussions and topics like:

:laugh: Oh, my! This is great! You could always pay your way through with comedy club tours if you didn't receive any funding from your program.

I'm going to UW! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:laugh: This whole process sucketh big time. CONGRATS! :luck:

WOW, that is utterly fantastic to hear! Way to go girl (see, I remember)!!!! Seattle is such a beautiful place, and Washington has a great program. I really hope you enjoy your time there (I know some people on that campus if you ever needed some help finding out about the place). Who will you be working with, out of curiosity?

Congratulations!!!!!! :thumbup:

Girl?! Damn, I still managed to get it wrong--even after reading all those previous posts. I have it stuck in my head that she's a he. :confused:

Girl?! Damn, I still managed to get it wrong--even after reading all those previous posts. I have it stuck in my head that she's a he. :confused:

I know, I keep doing the same thing with others. I know I've read somewhere who's what, but then I forget. I always look for the key bf/gf references! :confused:

Maybe we should make a new rule that our SDN name has to begin with M or F?? :laugh:

I know, I keep doing the same thing with others. I know I've read somewhere who's what, but then I forget. I always look for the key bf/gf references! :confused:

Maybe we should make a new rule that our SDN name has to begin with M or F?? :laugh:

But then we'd have to make allowances for hermaphrodites and transgendered individuals! It could still get confusing. :laugh:

I AM MALE PARAMOUR

Or we can just start each post like this :). Actually, what we should do is make our avitars display our picture...that would help at least for some. Then again, when you go to an interview and the prof says "haven't I seen you somewhere" it may cause some worry.

University of Tennessee....! ok then.

um, actually turns out i was rejected from my poi after i took myself off the waitlist (ha ha...oh) then i get a call from a new faculty member who wants me!

lol.:cool:

um, actually turns out i was rejected from my poi after i took myself off the waitlist (ha ha...oh) then i get a call from a new faculty member who wants me!

Too funny! So you already accepted Wyoming, right? I guess there's no going back now! (not that you'd want to, cowgirl :D )

:laugh: Must be nice to feel so wanted . . . yet it seems odd that they're just not getting the point. Lack of departmental communication perhaps?

I totally agree with LosingmyMind...I too am straight out of undergrad....and have accepted Arizona State's offer. Congrats to everyone, what a crazy process! No more GREs and I now can look at PhD (piled higher and deeper) comics and grin that Im in the same predicament. Goodluck to everyone and see you at the conferences. Losingmymind, one more quarter to go and I don't know how to keep up the pace now that I know Im going to grad school (evilgrin).

Losingmymind, one more quarter to go and I don't know how to keep up the pace now that I know Im going to grad school (evilgrin).

I know I would definitely be in the same boat if I hadn't graduated in December... It was hard enough balancing my eventful life (total sarcasm) with the agony of anticipation... I can't imagine still taking a full load of classes! Good luck and hang in there!

I got an email last night offering admission to the George Washington University PsyD!! yay :D

Hi, got accepted to St. John's University (Clinical) on March 21st! Noticed that it wasn't on your list.

Too funny! So you already accepted Wyoming, right? I guess there's no going back now! (not that you'd want to, cowgirl :D )

I'm not considering the offer at this point... I'm too thrilled about Wyo but what is the protocol for when a student would want to accept the new offer? Is it the Wild Wild West before April 15th, meaning all bets are off? I think I remember reading that you have to gain a written release from the program you have already accepted in order to take a new acceptance. I get the whole 4/15 deal but APA should have hired better lawyers...too many loopholes IMO!

*Ella:cool:

Just got word that I have been accepted off the waitlist at Regent PsyD! That has been my #1 for quite some time now...

I'm not considering the offer at this point... I'm too thrilled about Wyo but what is the protocol for when a student would want to accept the new offer? Is it the Wild Wild West before April 15th, meaning all bets are off? I think I remember reading that you have to gain a written release from the program you have already accepted in order to take a new acceptance. I get the whole 4/15 deal but APA should have hired better lawyers...too many loopholes IMO!

*Ella:cool:

Withdrawing an acceptance is considered very bad form. I wouldn't recommend it at all, unless something has come up that would make it impossible to attend the school where you've already accepted.

dubbs,

I understand it could be viewed as bad form but I really wasn't looking for impressions/thoughts on the subject, however grateful I am for your quick response! I am curious more about the rules, law, "legality" of all of it, bad form or not. Oh well, I will look into one day. Until then...party on! (who am I kidding, I'm still at work)

*ella

Hello! I am new to this forum, but am SO happy to be here. I've been sweating over this process for what seems like forever! I got accepted to GW yesterday via email. But, I'm still waiting to hear from the School-Community Psy.D. program at Hofstra. Has anyone heard anything!? Thank you!!:confused:

An acceptance, finally!!! I loved the program during my interview yesterday, so I'm really happy. Whew. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, and congratulations to you, too!!!! :love:

Hello Dr. Definitely,
Congratulations!! Seton Hall is a great school! You deserve it.

dubbs,

I understand it could be viewed as bad form but I really wasn't looking for impressions/thoughts on the subject, however grateful I am for your quick response! I am curious more about the rules, law, "legality" of all of it, bad form or not. Oh well, I will look into one day. Until then...party on! (who am I kidding, I'm still at work)

*ella

Ella, there are two paragraphs about it in The Insider's Guide on pg 100. I'll type it out for you:

"To protect applicants from making hasty, premature decisions, all APA-accredited programs and most others have agreed to allow candidates until April 15 for a final decision. This is in accordance with a resolution adopted by the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States in 1965, approved by 317 universities and colleges, and further moditfied by the Council of Graduate Departments of Psychology (COGDOP) in 1981. As presented in the Graduate Study in Psychology, the resolution reads as follows:

'Acceptance of an offer of financial aid for the next academic year by an actual or prospective graduate student completes an agreement which both student and graduate school expect to honor. In those circumstances in which the student accepts the offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release form from the institution to which the commitment has been made. Similarly an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of the this Resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.' "

Phew, that was long. Hope that helps!

Okay, here is my story.....:oops:

I have been placed as first alternate by two schools. I have also been accepted to one school, but really have no intention of going there! So, I am really only interested in one of the two schools I am on the waitlist for, so if one person rejects an offer at this school on April 15, does this mean I might be subsequently contacted after April 15 for an acceptance? And, if so, I would presume on April 15 that I did not get into my desired school, so I would accept an offer from a school I do not want to go to because it is my only option! Is this possible?? And does anyone know how quick an applicant has to respond if they get an offer on April 15, and are offers extended after this deadline?????????

Please help clear up some confusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: