acceptance to top school, rejected by lesser school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just thought I'd add my opinion that if you have an excellent application the middle schools may reject you because they know you will go somewhere better. Happened to me and others I know, and to be honest it makes sense - they are busy people and don't need to be bothered with an extra interview. And though the rejection may sting in the short-term, in the long-term you'll get into a great school and you will have saved the time, effort and money of an extra interview.

I think it makes sense too. That's why it's safer to be "in the middle" if you're interested in "the middle schools."

Members don't see this ad.

schools are right to reject you. only an idiot would say that.

only on SDN would people whine about their lack of success in the process and blame it on "they are too fabulous" for schools to dare hope that they would come to their "lesser quality" schools.

ridiculous.

Do you think your comment makes YOU look smart?

Part of being a good applicant is to know how to tailor your application to specific schools. Making your essays, your interview answers, and your whole demeanor fit what that school is looking for, and convincing them that that's where you want to be. Part of this is picking schools for which you are a good fit, as the majority of your appilcation will tailor itself. but part is doing the research on the school and knowing how to make yourself look appealing to this specific adcom. Someone who is a strong applicant and GOOD at applying can get noticed by low, mid, and top tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've definitely noticed this. All or most of the schools that I put on my list as "safeties" rejected me post-secondary. Just had no idea what to expect from this process so I applied broadly as everyone who I talked with suggested from the beginning.

Is this sarcasm???

No sarcasm intended. I didn't expect so many responses to my comment. I suppose that after some more thought, I would still be happiest with the highest MCAT I could possibly get, but if that were the case, I would apply early decision to my top choice. A lot of this process ultimately depends on luck and one's financial resources.

I think your putting more "meaning" into this application process than necessary...the idea of a "good fit" is understandable to some degree (i.e. commitment to research, international health etc.), but by and large every school teaches the exact same thing. The only thing that really differs is reputation and resources (which usually go together).

Part of being a good applicant is to know how to tailor your application to specific schools. Making your essays, your interview answers, and your whole demeanor fit what that school is looking for, and convincing them that that's where you want to be. Part of this is picking schools for which you are a good fit, as the majority of your appilcation will tailor itself. but part is doing the research on the school and knowing how to make yourself look appealing to this specific adcom. Someone who is a strong applicant and GOOD at applying can get noticed by low, mid, and top tier schools.

I think your putting more "meaning" into this application process than necessary...the idea of a "good fit" is understandable to some degree (i.e. commitment to research, international health etc.), but by and large every school teaches the exact same thing. The only thing that really differs is reputation and resources (which usually go together).
The mission statements of medical schools vary as much as their locations. Playing to this and picking the ones that match up with your goals as a physician is an important part of gaining acceptance. You asked why, i'm just answering.

I've definitely noticed this. All or most of the schools that I put on my list as "safeties" rejected me post-secondary. Just had no idea what to expect from this process so I applied broadly as everyone who I talked with suggested from the beginning.

although i think this thread is stupid and self-serving, i will admit that most of my so-called "low middle" (that's what i call them) have not responded to my application in any way. and i have heard positively from top and middle schools. (even as i write this it sounds so idiotic.)

just about every mission statement that I have ever read has said the exact same thing with different words:)

The mission statements of medical schools vary as much as their locations. Playing to this and picking the ones that match up with your goals as a physician is an important part of gaining acceptance. You asked why, i'm just answering.

just about every mission statement that I have ever read has said the exact same thing with different words:)
And feeling that way and your attitude towards schools as backups is the reason you're not looked at by them; it shines through.

interesting. I remember interviewing and being accepted at some pretty good schools.

And feeling that way and your attitude towards schools as backups is the reason you're not looked at by them; it shines through.

interesting. I remember interviewing and being accepted at some pretty good schools.
You are the one who started this thread complaining about not being looked at by certain "mid tier" schools!!! I am answering that query. I am not insulting you or your progress, but trying to help you figure out why.

I think you are misunderstanding. I have been "looked at" by plenty of mid-tier schools. However, some of the schools seem to have the policy of waitlisting or "holding" people who THEY believe won't attend. This is an inappropriate/unfortunate policy, b/c they should be accepting based on credentials alone.

You are the one who started this thread complaining about not being looked at by certain "mid tier" schools!!! I am answering that query. I am not insulting you or your progress, but trying to help you figure out why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are misunderstanding. I have been "looked at" by plenty of mid-tier schools. However, some of the schools seem to have the policy of waitlisting or "holding" people who THEY believe won't attend. This is an inappropriate/unfortunate policy, b/c they should be accepting based on credentials alone.
But what i'm saying that that they BELIEVE you won't attend because you didn't make it seem clear that you would. This is what i was saying about catering an application to a school. There are many ways to make yourself seem like you would be a perfect fit and very content at school X even if your mcat and gpa are well above their normal. If this isn't done, one will end up with a hold or waitlist. If your enthusiasm for a school shows through during your interview, however, this is less likely to happen.

don't know why you picked on BU here. it's ranked 28th for research and Case is 22. virtually the same.

BU's acceptance rate is 4.7% and Case is 8.6%.

and BU is in a much better city.

i'm interviewing at both, but BU is at or near the top of my list.

BU made a huge jump in the rankings in recent years. Historically it hasn't been in the caliber of schools as Case. Rankings don't really tell the story of what tier a school is in, just look at matriculant stats averages. In any case, the reason I mentioned BU is because they are notorious for rejecting high stat applicants who don't send letters of interest, simply because they don't want to be someone's backup. Their acceptance rate is lower because they have far more applications than Case (2nd most among all US schools IIRC). My friend interviewed their last year with the dean of admissions, and the dean told him straight up that if his MCAT was one point higher he would have been rejected pre-interview unless he'd expressed interest (his stats were 3.8/33, fwiw)

thats disgraceful on BU's part!...rejecting people simply b/c they have high MCAT scores

BU made a huge jump in the rankings in recent years. Historically it hasn't been in the caliber of schools as Case. Rankings don't really tell the story of what tier a school is in, just look at matriculant stats averages. In any case, the reason I mentioned BU is because they are notorious for rejecting high stat applicants who don't send letters of interest, simply because they don't want to be someone's backup. Their acceptance rate is lower because they have far more applications than Case (2nd most among all US schools IIRC). My friend interviewed their last year with the dean of admissions, and the dean told him straight up that if his MCAT was one point higher he would have been rejected pre-interview unless he'd expressed interest (his stats were 3.8/33, fwiw)

Well, I can understand the rationale. Schools want to interview ppl who want to go there.

I have a 35 MCAT and got an interview at BU without a letter of interest.

That's nice. I think the comment made to my friend was regarding him specifically.

Just thought I'd add my opinion that if you have an excellent application the middle schools may reject you because they know you will go somewhere better. Happened to me and others I know, and to be honest it makes sense

Nothing personal, but that's a pretty asinine thing to say. You have no idea why you weren't accepted, but it's much more likely that you were rejected due to your lack of conveyed interest in the schools, not because your stats were "too high."

This is all just conjecture and theory. Why not just ask the admissions office why you were rejected? And ask it in a nice way, like, what can you do with your application for them to consider you when you apply again the next time?

I was instantly rejected by UChicago but received an interview everywhere else (and have 4 Top 15 acceptances right now, including Hopkins). Not that UChicago is a lesser school, but why not even a hold? What's really ironic is that I would have gone there over anywhere else, even Hopkins/Harvard, etc. I was crushed for months (still am).

I was instantly rejected by UChicago but received an interview everywhere else (and have 4 Top 15 acceptances right now, including Hopkins). Not that UChicago is a lesser school, but why not even a hold? What's really ironic is that I would have gone there over anywhere else, even Hopkins/Harvard, etc. I was crushed for months (still am).

Based on anecdotal observations, seems like UChic places a great deal of importance on their essay questions. No idea what they were looking for in them...as evidenced by the fact that they didn't like what I wrote (and neither did I :laugh:).

chicago rejected me in about 2 days too. rude awakening to the med school process.

Based on anecdotal observations, seems like UChic places a great deal of importance on their essay questions. No idea what they were looking for in them...as evidenced by the fact that they didn't like what I wrote (and neither did I :laugh:).

Haha, with that "how do you fit the mission statement of Pritzker" question, I can see alot of ways that could go wrong. It was my hardest essay to write--and to no avail.

The comment about having an MCAT that's "too high" is partly true. Schools know that only people getting 40 or higher either teach the test or can't communicate worth ****.

The comment about having an MCAT that's "too high" is partly true. Schools know that only people getting 40 or higher either teach the test or can't communicate worth ****.

This seems like you're only trying to justify your sub 40 score.

This is all just conjecture and theory. Why not just ask the admissions office why you were rejected? And ask it in a nice way, like, what can you do with your application for them to consider you when you apply again the next time?

no adcom member would ever, ever admit to rejecting people that are "too competitive" for their school. They would be as tight lipped about this sort of things as possible

thats completely ridiculous

do you really think that schools live and breathe by their mission statements? I am not sure, but I think it is written once by an administrator, and nobody ever reads it again. I just think that schools want the best class they can get from the applicant pool :confused:

I think most schools can be groups into several categories:

Research heavy schools that seek to prepare academic physicians:
pretty much all top 20 schools, all ivies. so they'll be looking for a ton of research experience

schools that seek to train primary care physicians that will work with underserved

one that comes to mind is UC Davis?

schools big on international health

GW and Georgetown?

feel free to modify, add to my list

agreed, and also using very flowery language with lots of colorful adjectives

I agree with schools waitlist/hold people who are not likely to attend, but it is completely wrong to think that schools should be accepting based on credentials alone. They can do whatever the hell they want, you need them, not the other way around, plus why would they waist an acceptance spot on someone who hasn't shown strong interest in them and who's not likely to attend :confused:

wtf !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nothing personal, but that's a pretty asinine thing to say. You have no idea why you weren't accepted, but it's much more likely that you were rejected due to your lack of conveyed interest in the schools, not because your stats were "too high."

I have no data to prove it, but I highly doubt that people with lower stats who are accepted convey very strong interest in the school as compared to people with higher stats who don't get in.

It's been said before, and I'll say it again, it really comes down to school accepting people who the school thinks are likely to attend

no adcom member would ever, ever admit to rejecting people that are "too competitive" for their school. They would be as tight lipped about this sort of things as possible
word. you would have to waterboard them to get some info out of them

I have a question for you people who have high stats:
Would you even go to these schools that are "lower" if you were accepted or do you just want the acceptance for your own pride and glory?

You guys are b***ing about it, but if you got into the top-tier schools, who cares?...unless you were really intending to go to the lower schools over the top ones. Aren't the schools doing a pretty good job then if they are indeed not accepting you because you wouldnt go there anyway?
(this is not a hostile post, i'm just curious :D)

i got biatch slapped by UVM and GWU......still waiting on top schools, but am hopeful.

I have a question for you people who have high stats:
Would you even go to these schools that are "lower" if you were accepted or do you just want the acceptance for your own pride and glory?

You guys are b***ing about it, but if you got into the top-tier schools, who cares?...unless you were really intending to go to the lower schools over the top ones. Aren't the schools doing a pretty good job then if they are indeed not accepting you because you wouldnt go there anyway?
(this is not a hostile post, i'm just curious :D)

everyone, repeat, EVERYONE, no matter how high the stats, must apply broadly. so, of course, one would like to be accepted at the so-called "lower tier" schools but, duh, most people will attend a "higher ranked" school, if offered a spot. not rocket science here.

everyone, repeat, EVERYONE, no matter how high the stats, must apply broadly. so, of course, one would like to be accepted at the so-called "lower tier" schools but, duh, most people will attend a "higher ranked" school, if offered a spot. not rocket science here.

There's more to this decision than just the ranking of the school. How about cost? Huge differences in cost between private, top-ranked schools and your typical state school. How about family considerations?

"Duh," it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

There's more to this decision than just the ranking of the school. How about cost? Huge differences in cost between private, top-ranked schools and your typical state school. How about family considerations?

"Duh," it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

you are absolutely right!! sorry for the derisive comment. but, all things being equal, a person wants to get into schools at every level, but may choose top school to which they are accepted. that's all i meant.

i am way too flippant. bad quality.

I guess this depends on your definition of broadly. A lot of top tier candidates apply to their state school and 5-6 selected top tier schools, if you consider that broadly. I guess in that way it's sort of like UG apps.

All i meant was that the OP and others are complaining that they got accepted to a top school, but not a lesser school (title of thread). He claimed that he would go to a top school over lesser school because top schools obviously are better.

My question then is, what is the point of complaining about the lesser schools if they werent planning to go anyways? They already have acceptance somewhere. It's not like they got rejected from top schools and didnt get any love from lesser schools.
Seems to me that they only want the acceptance to say that they got accepted. Am I wrong?

All i meant was that the OP and others are complaining that they got accepted to a top school, but not a lesser school (title of thread). He claimed that he would go to a top school over lesser school because top schools obviously are better.

My question then is, what is the point of complaining about the lesser schools if they werent planning to go anyways? They already have acceptance somewhere. It's not like they got rejected from top schools and didnt get any love from lesser schools.
Seems to me that they only want the acceptance to say that they got accepted. Am I wrong?

if they already have acceptances, you are right. unless they are hoping for a better financial package at the "lesser" school and resent that they may not be accepted because the school may think they will not go. that would be legitimate.

picard.jpg
I see your picard.jpg, and I raise you picard.gif

6uj3zaa.gif