Acceptance, Waitlist, and May 15th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pudortu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding acceptances, waitlists, and May 15th. I'm very happy, grateful, and blessed to be accepted to a medical school (School B). However, I found out today that I was just waitlisted at my #1 choice school (School A). Can I hold my acceptance AND waitlist position at schools A and B after May 15th? If I can and do hold both, and I do get moved "acceptance" status in School A, I would definitely go to school A. Would I get in trouble with school B? Thanks for your help in advance and good luck to everyone in this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

You can hold only one acceptance and as many waitlists as you'd like after May 15. This is why there is so much waitlist movement after this date. You're are not bound to go to a school until you go to their orientation because at that point you are officially matriculated. I'm in the same boat, good luck!

Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding acceptances, waitlists, and May 15th. I'm very happy, grateful, and blessed to be accepted to a medical school (School B). However, I found out today that I was just waitlisted at my #1 choice school (School A). Can I hold my acceptance AND waitlist position at schools A and B after May 15th? If I can and do hold both, and I do get moved "acceptance" status in School A, I would definitely go to school A. Would I get in trouble with school B? Thanks for your help in advance and good luck to everyone in this cycle.

1) yes you can
2) no, you won't get in "trouble". But honestly, what could they do?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can hold on to the acceptance at school B and wait for school A. May 15th is the deadline for people with MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES to decide between schools. Waitlists don't count for this deadline...

Good luck! I hope you get into school A! :luck:

"school A class of 2012!!!!!" lol.

after may 15 you may only hold 1 acceptance, but you may remain on as many waitlists as you choose.

It is very common for students to shuffle off of waitlists and drop an acceptance. Schools will not hold it against you when you do so, they will simply pull someone from their waitlist until all seats are filled at all schools.

So waitlists don't really move until after May 15th?

I'm wondering because I'm on 5, and really hoping to get in off one.

I think the official answer to your question can be found at the AAMC's website. There is a link for "Applying to Medical School" that will allow you to view recommendations for medical school applicants and medical school admissions officers. I believe your question is adequately addressed at the page for medical school admissions officers.

I have a question and I don't want to start another waitlist thread.
I got waitlisted at five schools. After May 15, if I get an acceptance offer from one school, then I accept the offer. Then in June or July, if I get really lucky, and I get another acceptance from the school that I really want to go, can I drop the first acceptance and take the second offer?
I have no acceptance right now :(. Hopefully I can get one.
Thanks.

I have a question and I don't want to start another waitlist thread.
I got waitlisted at five schools. After May 15, if I get an acceptance offer from one school, then I accept the offer. Then in June or July, if I get really lucky, and I get another acceptance from the school that I really want to go, can I drop the first acceptance and take the second offer?
I have no acceptance right now :(. Hopefully I can get one.
Thanks.
yes.