• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Pudortu

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding acceptances, waitlists, and May 15th. I'm very happy, grateful, and blessed to be accepted to a medical school (School B). However, I found out today that I was just waitlisted at my #1 choice school (School A). Can I hold my acceptance AND waitlist position at schools A and B after May 15th? If I can and do hold both, and I do get moved "acceptance" status in School A, I would definitely go to school A. Would I get in trouble with school B? Thanks for your help in advance and good luck to everyone in this cycle.

Tndoorijones

10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You can hold only one acceptance and as many waitlists as you'd like after May 15. This is why there is so much waitlist movement after this date. You're are not bound to go to a school until you go to their orientation because at that point you are officially matriculated. I'm in the same boat, good luck!

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding acceptances, waitlists, and May 15th. I'm very happy, grateful, and blessed to be accepted to a medical school (School B). However, I found out today that I was just waitlisted at my #1 choice school (School A). Can I hold my acceptance AND waitlist position at schools A and B after May 15th? If I can and do hold both, and I do get moved "acceptance" status in School A, I would definitely go to school A. Would I get in trouble with school B? Thanks for your help in advance and good luck to everyone in this cycle.

1) yes you can
2) no, you won't get in "trouble". But honestly, what could they do?

About the Ads

AKu2984

MD to be...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Iowa
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You can hold on to the acceptance at school B and wait for school A. May 15th is the deadline for people with MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES to decide between schools. Waitlists don't count for this deadline...

Good luck! I hope you get into school A! :luck:

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"school A class of 2012!!!!!" lol.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
after may 15 you may only hold 1 acceptance, but you may remain on as many waitlists as you choose.

It is very common for students to shuffle off of waitlists and drop an acceptance. Schools will not hold it against you when you do so, they will simply pull someone from their waitlist until all seats are filled at all schools.

mc4435

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So waitlists don't really move until after May 15th?

I'm wondering because I'm on 5, and really hoping to get in off one.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think the official answer to your question can be found at the AAMC's website. There is a link for "Applying to Medical School" that will allow you to view recommendations for medical school applicants and medical school admissions officers. I believe your question is adequately addressed at the page for medical school admissions officers.

memento2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have a question and I don't want to start another waitlist thread.
I got waitlisted at five schools. After May 15, if I get an acceptance offer from one school, then I accept the offer. Then in June or July, if I get really lucky, and I get another acceptance from the school that I really want to go, can I drop the first acceptance and take the second offer?
I have no acceptance right now :(. Hopefully I can get one.
Thanks.

sirrileydog

10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
I have a question and I don't want to start another waitlist thread.
I got waitlisted at five schools. After May 15, if I get an acceptance offer from one school, then I accept the offer. Then in June or July, if I get really lucky, and I get another acceptance from the school that I really want to go, can I drop the first acceptance and take the second offer?
I have no acceptance right now :(. Hopefully I can get one.
Thanks.
yes.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.