Acceptance with low GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.31
Last 60 ~3.6
Science: 3.24
Pre-Req: ~ 3.3-3.5 (depending on school)
Observation Hours: 250+ (SNF), 40 (Ortho), 25 (Acute)
Approved for 20 pediatric hours, just waiting for PT to set them up

GRE:
144 V 152 Q 3.5 A.W

Submitted my ED application with these stats, and I'm starting to get really discouraged. All of my stats surpass the minimums for my selected schools. I was planning on retaking the GRE, but I had a family emergency which forced me to cancel my appointment. I will be able to take it again before the regular application deadline.

Any opinions whether my chance of acceptance is farfetched or not?

Not sure how schools view non-academic application materials, but I have 4 strong LoRs and thouroughly reviewed narrative. I can only hope that these materials are taken into consideration with a decent weight.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats:
Last 60 ~3.6

GRE:
144 V 152 Q 3.5 A.W

Submitted my ED application with these stats, and I'm starting to get really discouraged. All of my stats surpass the minimums for my selected schools. I was planning on retaking the GRE, but I had a family emergency which forced me to cancel my appointment. I will be able to take it again before the regular application deadline.

Not sure how schools view non-academic application materials, but I have 4 strong LoRs and thouroughly reviewed narrative. I can only hope that these materials are taken into consideration with a decent weight.

Thank you.

Hey!

Don't be discouraged at all! I too had a super low GRE score and only took it once when I applied last cycle. My overall GPA and science was higher than yours, but my GRE was lower. I got accepted to 5 schools when all said and done, one being my top school that I'm currently attending now. I knew my GRE would limit me, so I applied smartly and to schools that didn't weigh the GRE too much or at all. It really does depend on what schools you applied to because some do have a % weight or cutoff for the GRE and will automatically eliminate you from even an interview. If you have any questions or anything at all, feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Stats:
Last 60 ~3.6

GRE:
144 V 152 Q 3.5 A.W

Thank you.

Learn some words, practice verbal section. Go to the ETS site and practice some essays since the prompts are all there, at least making the outline for 1 or 2 a day. Retake the GRE. Apply to many schools. Also you can look for school who don't take GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I had a low GRE (150Q 149V) and that was after I even took it three times and on the third time I got an even lower score than the first two tries...not sure what happened there. However, I had interviews with a majority of the schools that I applied to and I got into my dream school. My GPA wasn't all that high either. It matters where you apply to. Check schools that don't require the GRE!

Hey! I had a low GRE (150Q 149V) and that was after I even took it three times and on the third time I got an even lower score than the first two tries...not sure what happened there. However, I had interviews with a majority of the schools that I applied to and I got into my dream school. My GPA wasn't all that high either. It matters where you apply to. Check schools that don't require the GRE!
Hey GOGOGO1528! I, too, have a GRE score on the lower side. Would you mind sharing where you got your interviews and where you're going now?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I also have a low GRE :/ could you guys share your stats and where you all got accepted ?

Hey guys!

I was accepted to UW Madison with a 149, 149, 3.5 GRE, and their average for last cycle was 156Q, 157Q, 4.5 W I believe. However, I had a 3.9 cumulative GPA, 3.86 pre requisite GPA, and everything else was solid on my application.

Hope that gives you some insight. If you have a weak GRE, make sure the rest of your application is as strong/unique as possible to 'make up for it'.

Last edited:
Hey!

Don't be discouraged at all! I too had a super low GRE score and only took it once when I applied last cycle. My overall GPA and science was higher than yours, but my GRE was lower. I got accepted to 5 schools when all said and done, one being my top school that I'm currently attending now. I knew my GRE would limit me, so I applied smartly and to schools that didn't weigh the GRE too much or at all. It really does depend on what schools you applied to because some do have a % weight or cutoff for the GRE and will automatically eliminate you from even an interview. If you have any questions or anything at all, feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you!

Hey do you mind sharing your GRE scores and GPA and what 5 schools you got accepted into?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You may want to try magoosh.com to improve your GRE scores. They teach you techniques on how to tackle the GRE questions effectively. The site provides interactive videos for every topic and also give mock exams. The only thing the site is lacking is the AWA grade portion but you can get your AWAs graded at ETS website for a small fee. Magoosh offers a free week trial. If you rather study from a book try manhattan GRE.

Last edited:
My GRE scores are lower than yours and I just got an email for an interview at a school! Don't be discouraged! I would definitely apply to schools that don't require GRE or accept it but don't count it against you. Best of luck

cGPA: 3.56
pGPA: 3.6
hours: 300+ outpatient, 50 inpatient
GRE: v149 q151 aw4.0

interviewed: Azusa, RFUMS, Western, UOP, CSU Fresno, CSU Sac

hope this was a bit of a moral boost!