mill_z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2004
Davenport, IA
Status
Acceptance question...

I have spent the last year and a half at Palmer College of Chiropractic and have withdrawn from classes to apply to medical school (MD or DO). How difficult is it to get in to? I am pretty limited for schools that I can apply to due to my wife's job.

I was thinking of a couple of state schools and couple osteopathic schools nearby. I have liberal arts degree from the University of Iowa with a GPA of 3.2 plus 120+ credit hours from Palmer College of Chiropractic with a GPA of 3.0 give or take. I have not taken the MCAT yet but plan to take it in august. I am also going to take a few classes to boost my GPA.

What are my chances???? Any advice would help bunches

Thanks

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Your GPA sounds a bit outside the range of MD schools, however, DO schools may not mind it so much...def take some extra classes to improve upon your GPA...it looks like you will have to do well on the MCAT, at least a 30 or better, for a competitive chance at an MD school, but for DO schools, maybe more in the range of 25-27 give or take....im sure your chiropractic experience will help out, but make sure you can explain your sudden change in career choice if asked!

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
Status
that the number of schools you ar egiong to apply to is limited may end up really hurting you. unless you score high on the mcat, i would think you would need to apply to at least 10-15 schools.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Your gpa is definitely on the low side... so try to balance it out with an awesome MCAT score. I think the April MCAT is easier, but the August MCAT will give you more time to study I guess. It's good that you're considering both DO and MD schools. As other posters have said, you'll be applying with a very interesting and unique background... which will definitely help make you stand out. I think you have a pretty good shot at DO schools. Your MCAT score will be a big factor in determing how competitive you will be for MD schools.

I honestly have no idea what you do in chiropractic school-- but if you haven't had a lot of exposure to medicine, you might want to get some. Volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor will help show that you're serious about medicine. Plus, interviewers will definitely ask why you are changing fields... so if you have a lot of health experience under your belt, it will back up your reasons for wanting to become a doctor.

Good luck :luck:

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mill_z said:
Acceptance question...

I have spent the last year and a half at Palmer College of Chiropractic and have withdrawn from classes to apply to medical school (MD or DO). How difficult is it to get in to? I am pretty limited for schools that I can apply to due to my wife's job.

I was thinking of a couple of state schools and couple osteopathic schools nearby. I have liberal arts degree from the University of Iowa with a GPA of 3.2 plus 120+ credit hours from Palmer College of Chiropractic with a GPA of 3.0 give or take. I have not taken the MCAT yet but plan to take it in august. I am also going to take a few classes to boost my GPA.

What are my chances???? Any advice would help bunches

Thanks
you're going to have to rock the MCAT (above 30) to be competitive at MD schools.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
qqq said:
that the number of schools you ar egiong to apply to is limited may end up really hurting you. unless you score high on the mcat, i would think you would need to apply to at least 10-15 schools.
I agree with qqq -- unless your MCAT is impressively high, you will not be applying to enough MD schools to expect a likelihood of admission with a 3.2. It could happen, but you really would want to apply broadly with such a GPA to improve your chances - and you indicate you can't do this for spousal reasons. Your odds are significantly better with DO schools.
(If you break 35 on the MCAT, please ignore my post, though.)

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that you are going to have to have a damn good excuse for dropping out of Chiropractic school. I think many schools could be afraid that you would do the same thing with medical school. You are going to have to demonstrate that you had damn good reasons for quitting chiropractic school (After 120 credits!), and that med school will be different.

If you say that you did this because you didnt know what chirpractic was all about, you will have to demonstrate that you know what medicine is all about.
Another thing you could say is that you found that as you progressed throughout chiropractic school you found that you wanted to play larger part in patient care. You wanted to employ more tools to help heal people, then being able to correct subluxations (or whatever they do). You get the point.... you have to let them know that you are serious about medicine through your personal statement and interview.

I will predict that you will find DO schools to be more receptive of your situation than MD schools.. but that's just a guess. Good Luck.