accepted at NYU n applied for loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweety

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
i was wondering if anyone got accepted in NYU has applied for loan
as i have got accepted they asked me to fill the fafsa by march 1st n i did not coz i amwaiting to hear from upenn n BU:(
i have no idea what to do please anyone who is going thru the same or who has an idea ur welcome to put it here
thank you
tweety:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am also sailing in the same boat. You need not do anyhting at this point of time. They will send you all information regarding the loans in month of April. Orientation is staring from August 2nd and classes in Sept 1st week. I talked to admission office just now. Do you mind sharing scores with me? When did you interview at BU?

Good luck,
Nidhi

hi Nidhi:)
actually they told me u should apply before march 1st n i dint.
my scores r 89, 257
i was interviewed in BU on 12th feb but havent heard anything yet. they say they have not yet reviewed my applivation. did they tell u that u r in the waitlist?
i am not going to be in US the entire of april n may that is the reason i am worried. plzz let me know what iss the best i could do?:confused:
good luck with u :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tweety,

You need not apply for loans before March1 . I called the lady yesterday. She said you need not do anything now. And thats right. I am in contact with other students too who accepted at NYU. We just sent them a check of 1000$ in Jan. Thats it.

I was interviewed at BU on April 10 2003. I am still on the waiting list. They atre crazy. My part1 is 89 toefel 260 and GPA 3.43. They will start reviewing the applications now as they are done with the interview process yesterday. Should hear from them soon positive or negative whatever.

Good luck,
Nidhi

hey Nidhi
thank you! it was so nice to know that. r u a green card holder? n will u be applying for fafsa?
at BU they said they will send out the letters on monday. so at least by next weekend we will know
good luck:thumbup:
tweety

Hey Tweety,

I am on F1 over here. But my brother is a green card holder. So he will cosign for me. I also called BU today. They will be mailing the letters on monday. We cannot apply for the loans before june, no earlier than 2 months.

Whats is your Visa status? You are a guy or a gal?

Good luck,
Nidhi

Hey Nidhi
i am a girl:p . i am in the status on green card holder. its like i can get it anytime so i am eligible for applying the fafsa. that was the reason i was wondering if i should coz they told me to aplly for it early. i am so confused as what to do.
i hope we'll meet in NYU
i did not understand about what u said that we cannot apply earlier than 2 months
can u plzz explain again

Hi Tweety, Did you say you have Green Card or you will get soon?

Hi tweety,
I am also accepted at NYU. I cannot apply for fafsa but when we spoke to the financial advisor she said to those who are greencard holder or citizen can apply for fafsa right away before getting acceptance or rejection letter.
She also mentioned that it takes time for them to reply so do it soon.
I think if you are finally planning to join NYU and not waiting for reply fron other schools then go ahead and apply for fafsa today itself.

regards

Ketu

Hey Ketu
Thanks a lot for the help. Actually i am waiting to hear from BU n I am in the wait list of Upenn so i am totally confused at what to do.:confused: whether to apply for fafsa now or later. moreover I am not going to be in the US in april n may so i want to know if i will miss something here n will I be at any loss.:wow: :scared:
can uyou please let me know
yes Dram i said i will be getting my GC soon

thanks a lot
Tweety:)

As far as I know it does not matter if you apply for fafsa now, I think you have to put in the highest amount so its not a problem if you ask them for less later. I mean when you get in BU or Upenn.
also Bu has given us some forms after interveiw for loan, did they give you the same?
I havent gone through them but surely will go through and let you know.

regards

Originally posted by tweety
i am in the status on green card holder. its like i can get it anytime so i am eligible for applying the fafsa.

Hi tweety,

Congrats on your acceptance in NYu. As far as i know one is eligible for FAFSa only with a completed green card cos they ask for your registration no. in the FAFSA application. I guess you have completed finger printing process atleast by now to be eligible. Also,If you are planning to apply for FAFSA i would highly advice you to apply as early as possible . NYu advises its students to apply before march 1st so that you get what you are eligible for, before funds fade out. I also read in the dental forum that one can write the names of all the possible schools you might be attending in the FAFSa application. Why dont you do like that? P.S - I will also be attending NYU this fall & hope to meet you there.

Hey Ketu, Opal and Rajkang
Thank you for the responses :clap:. from your opinions i have decided to go ahead with fafsa. yes i do have my alien registeration number as well as i have completed my fingerprinting long ago.
well, Ketu i did not get what you meant by higest amount coz there was no option in the form may be that is the later part
I dint get in BU so i am now decided with NYU hope to see you'll if you join there:)
if you have any more info about fafsa plzz.. don't hesitate to update me

Members don't see this ad :)
Tweety,
Let us know if you are able to file FAFSA without actual GC approval. I have an Alien Registration # and have filed fingerprints too. So we are on the same boat. Let us know your experience. When I inquired I got the information that, we have to be Permanent Resident or citizen to fileFAFSA.

Thanks.

hi guys
thanks rajkang.
yes dram we can file for fafsa. thee only thing is by july if do not get your GC then they cancel it and offer private loan like others. so you are very much eligible to file it
take care

Hi All,

Did anyone get their Student ID from NYU ?
I was told that the financial aid award letter/package would contain the Student ID and other information for International/H4 students to apply for Private loans.
Did anyone start applying for Private loans for NYU ?
Please let me know ...
I am still waiting for my Student ID ....

Cheers,
Cherry.

Cherry said:
Hi All,

Did anyone get their Student ID from NYU ?
I was told that the financial aid award letter/package would contain the Student ID and other information for International/H4 students to apply for Private loans.
Did anyone start applying for Private loans for NYU ?
Please let me know ...
I am still waiting for my Student ID ....

Cheers,
Cherry.
Hi cherry,

I got my student ID on phone. So why don't you call the admissions office? they will give you.

ketu

Thanks Ketu !!

I will call them. But can we start applying for Private loans once we get the Student ID by phone ?
Did anyone start the private loan process for NYU ?

Cheers,
Cherry.

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you have started applying for the loans. Can we apply before gettign the student ID?

Is any female interested in sharing the apt ( Private bedroom in a 2 bed room apt set up) at 26th residence street?

hi all,
I am also joining all of you from august.
hey I was wondering that how we can get our student Id now because they send us a letter which says we have to call them after June 1 to get our ID. are you talking about the same ID? or its something else?
and about the financial aid package, i went to NYU on monday and lady from financial aid told me that they havent mail financial aid package yet and we will get that soon.and that package would contain all the information about how much aid we will get from FAFSA and how much we have to take loan and all that, whatever correlates your status.
smi

Hi all! Just one small question. Did anybody have got the financial aid package already?

hi all,
i didnt get the financial aid package yet and as i told earlier the lady told me they are in the process of sending them but i dont know how long it will take. i am also waiting for that package.
and one more question can anyone tell me about the student id? i mean how did you get it? i am in the impression that we have to get that after june 1.
smi

smi said:
hi all,
i didnt get the financial aid package yet and as i told earlier the lady told me they are in the process of sending them but i dont know how long it will take. i am also waiting for that package.
and one more question can anyone tell me about the student id? i mean how did you get it? i am in the impression that we have to get that after june 1.
smi
hi smi,
I think you have to get it before june 1st because form june 1st onward we can register on torch tone phone. and that requires a student ID, so go ahead and call the office so they will give your ID.

Stomat
I did recieve a fianancial aid package long back. you can call and ask them to resent it to you.
btw are you applying for federal and private loan or only for private loan?

ketu

ketu229 said:
hi smi,
I think you have to get it before june 1st because form june 1st onward we can register on torch tone phone. and that requires a student ID, so go ahead and call the office so they will give your ID.

Stomat
I did recieve a fianancial aid package long back. you can call and ask them to resent it to you.
btw are you applying for federal and private loan or only for private loan?

ketu

Thanks Ketu
can you tell us when did you get your financial aid package? because i didnt get one.

smi said:
Thanks Ketu
can you tell us when did you get your financial aid package? because i didnt get one.
I got it approximately in the month of april.

Hi kety! So far,I am applying for federal loan only. I was admitted in april, and submited my FASFA somewhere in the middle of April, may be thats why I still dont have it. Can we start process of applying without this package?

Hi Friends,

Has anyone - who is not permanent resident - received the "Financial Aid" package for applying to private loan?

Thanks

Hi Mepa,

I am also waiting for the award letter from Financial aid office to apply for Private loans. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Also does anyone know the exact amount needed for first year (Tuition, Housing, instruments etc..,) ? They said that the tuition fee might increase by 5% this year.

- Cherry.

Hi Cheery,

I talked to Merysol at NYU regarding the financial aid packet for applying for private loan she said we will be getting it in a weeks time.

I have no idea about the exact amount for frist year I have to look.

did you send your health reports to nyu.Is it that unless you send the health reports they will not send financial aid packet.I am not sure if you have any info let me know.

hi all,
i got my financial aid packet yesterday. It contains all information we need.
cost for the first year is $82,000 including tutuions, instruments, boarding, health insurance, personal expences and everything.
and you will also get to know that how much you can get from federal loans-subsidized and unsubsidized if you are eligible and how much you will have to take from the private loans.
i already have sent them my medical reports so i dont know whether its necessary to get the financial aid packet or not.
smi

Hi Smi,

Thanks for the info.
If its not too much of a trouble, can you please tell me split fee structure, like how much is tuition, instruments, boarding etc.., ?

- Cherry.

smi said:
hi all,
i got my financial aid packet yesterday. It contains all information we need.
cost for the first year is $82,000 including tutuions, instruments, boarding, health insurance, personal expences and everything.
and you will also get to know that how much you can get from federal loans-subsidized and unsubsidized if you are eligible and how much you will have to take from the private loans.
i already have sent them my medical reports so i dont know whether its necessary to get the financial aid packet or not.
smi

hi cherry,
for the class of 2007 advanced standing program

Tution and Fees
Room and Board

Hi Cherry,
The fee structure for the class of 2007 advanced standing program is

Tution and Fees $ 45,320
Room and Board $ 20,818
Personal Expenses $ 8,531
Transportaion $ 919
Health Insurance $ 1,917
Total Budget $ 82,617

In this, Room and Board expense figures are estimated at the time of print. so i think they may vary.
I hope this will help you.
smi