accepted but have late interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyRobo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched a bit, but couldn't find anything regarding my specific question.
I have received an offer from one school and still have 2 interviews scheduled. One of those interviews is April 25th, so I am fairly certain I will not hear about my status for at least a few weeks. Would I have to reject my offer from the other school (April 30th) in order to hear back from this school in hopes of being accepted, or could I accept the offer I already have and still wait to hear back from the school that I have a late interview for?

Sorry if this is confusing. Just for some reasoning purposes, the school I have the interview on April 25th is an in-state school and the school that has given me an offer is out-of-state. The difference is $ for me, but I also don't want to reject the sure-offer in hopes of getting another one just because I could save some money.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I searched a bit, but couldn't find anything regarding my specific question.
I have received an offer from one school and still have 2 interviews scheduled. One of those interviews is April 25th, so I am fairly certain I will not hear about my status for at least a few weeks. Would I have to reject my offer from the other school (April 30th) in order to hear back from this school in hopes of being accepted, or could I accept the offer I already have and still wait to hear back from the school that I have a late interview for?

Sorry if this is confusing. Just for some reasoning purposes, the school I have the interview on April 25th is an in-state school and the school that has given me an offer is out-of-state. The difference is $ for me, but I also don't want to reject the sure-offer in hopes of getting another one just because I could save some money.

Thanks!
You didn't search hard enough, this question has been asked and answered a million times on here. That deadline is only for people with multiple acceptances. When you do hear back from the other school aND possibly get an acceptance you would have to drop one of the 2 acceptances

Reactions: 1 user
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... besides, if your interviews are that late, you're probably interviewing for a waitlist spot.
If you really like these schools, attend the interviews but don't let go of that bird in the hand and put down the deposit to hold on to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't search hard enough, this question has been asked and answered a million times on here. That deadline is only for people with multiple acceptances.

Say I have my acceptance, interview, then get accepted by the other school in May? Is that possibility or how would it go?

Say I have my acceptance, interview, then get accepted by the other school in May? Is that possibility or how would it go?

If you were accepted to a second school in May, you would have a few days to decide between the two schools, and then you would have to drop one acceptance.

Edit: I would also suggest changing your profile picture, you shouldn't use a picture of yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
If you gain an acceptance after that date you would have to choose between the new schools or the old one but ultimately should end up with only one school that you are committed to.

If you were accepted to a second school in May, you would have a few days to decide between the two schools, and then you would have to drop one acceptance.

Edit: I would also suggest changing your profile picture, you shouldn't use a picture of yourself.

Noted. Thank you!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... besides, if your interviews are that late, you're probably interviewing for a waitlist spot.
If you really like these schools, attend the interviews but don't let go of that bird in the hand and put down the deposit to hold on to it.
I've never understood this. Why would a school set a whole day aside to interview people and take up the time of professors and students if they're just trying to expand their waitlist? Do schools actually interview for the waitlist late in the cycle? That just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I've never understood this. Why would a school set a whole day aside to interview people and take up the time of professors and students if they're just trying to expand their waitlist? Do schools actually interview for the waitlist late in the cycle? That just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

At one of my interviews they did an information session and explained that a lot of out-of-state applicants that get 'accepted' will usually decline if an in-state school gives them an offer, so the waitlist ensures they can fill their seats. Obviously I'm not on any admissions committee, but it makes some sense to me.

if your interviews are that late, you're probably interviewing for a waitlist spot.
Do you have even a shred of evidence to support that? I've heard adcoms say that schools don't interview for the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have even a shred of evidence to support that? I've heard adcoms say that schools don't interview for the waitlist.
I don't have any hard evidence but it's logical to think so. That late in the cycle, most schools have already filled all their seats. So if someone is interviewing that late, it's probably because the Adcom expects some of their acceptees not to commit. Therefore, to insure that the class is full they'd have to interview for "waitlist spots". If that wasn't the case, I'd bet a lot of schools would be left with about 70/80% of the amount of people they intended to matriculate. Granted, they adcom won't call it "waitlist spot", but that's practically what it is.

What would you say a school that's interviewing applicants after it has already filled up its class is doing? Socializing? :eyebrow:

I don't have any hard evidence but it's logical to think so. That late in the cycle, most schools have already filled all their seats. So if someone is interviewing that late, it's probably because the Adcom expects some of their acceptees not to commit. Therefore, to insure that the class is full they'd have to interview for "waitlist spots". If that wasn't the case, I'd bet a lot of schools would be left with about 70/80% of the amount of people they intended to matriculate. Granted, they adcom won't call it "waitlist spot", but that's practically what it is.
Schools generally accept 2-3 times as many applicants as they can actually take, expecting half or more of the accepted applicants to matriculate elsewhere. If a school accepts 200 and matriculates 100, they very well could use their last few interview dates (e.g. in January/February/March) to accept 20 applicants if they've already accepted 180 by that point.

Plus, all the adcoms on here say that schools don't interview for the waitlist, and the data (though it's quite limited, admittedly) shows that after the first month or two of interviews (i.e. September and early October), post-interview acceptance rates stay very consistent.

Edit: not to mention that by this point in the cycle, most schools already have very large waitlists from which to pull, and it would be a waste of time and resources to increase the size of those waitlist pools even further by needlessly interviewing more candidates.
What would you say a school that's interviewing applicants after it has already filled up its class is doing? Socializing? :eyebrow:
Relax with the sarcasm, you don't know what you're talking about my friend

Last edited:
The number needed to fill the class is often 2 or three times the size of the class.

I can't say I agree with this "interviewing for waitlist" idea. My understanding is that there's a seat for you if you're interviewing.

OP should definitely attend the interviews; it appears there was just a misunderstanding about the multiple acceptances policy. Good luck!

Where are your interviews upcoming?

Edit: it appears that I'm a little late to this party.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can't say I agree with this "interviewing for waitlist" idea. My understanding is that there's a seat for you if you're interviewing.

OP should definitely attend the interviews; it appears there was just a misunderstanding about the multiple acceptances policy. Good luck!

Where are your interviews upcoming?

Edit: it appears that I'm a little late to this party.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank you for understanding my misunderstanding lol
I have remaining interviews at Indiana and Toledo.

At my school, we get about 5-6000 aps/year.
We interview ~500
We accept ~250.
We seat ~100.

The other 150 people who were "overbooked" decide to go elsewhere. All med schools do this. It's a Dark Art.

Last edited:
At my school, we get about 5-60000 aps/year.
We interview ~500
We accept ~250.
We seat ~100.

The other 150 people who were "overbooked" decide to go elsewhere. All med schools do this. It's a Dark Art.
I assume you mean 6000, right?

No evidence but a nostalgic story.

When I interviewed at UCincy in early Feb, there was a huge snowstorm but interview day wasn't cancelled. I remember driving to a hotel the previous day and having my mom with me in case anything happened because my dad was out of town.

The first thing the adcom did was congratulate us for coming and said he owed us an explanation for why he didn't cancel the Interview day and proceeded to tell us that this was supposedly the last day we would be interviewed for open spots before the waitlist started...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No evidence but a nostalgic story.

When I interviewed at UCincy in early Feb, there was a huge snowstorm but interview day wasn't cancelled. I remember driving to a hotel the previous day and having my mom with me in case anything happened because my dad was out of town.

The first thing the adcom did was congratulate us for coming and said he owed us an explanation for why he didn't cancel the Interview day and proceeded to tell us that this was supposedly the last day we would be interviewed for open spots before the waitlist started...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
wellp ****.... I stand corrected