Accepted, but not to top choice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT0315

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this morning I was just accepted to NSU DPT, however this is not my top choice (my top choice is UCF). This is a school that is definitely high up on my list though, so I am very excited! However, the acceptance decision is due October 13th (extremely soon?!), and I don't want to accept it because it's not my top choice, but I'm afraid if I don't accept and then don't get in anywhere else I will kind of be screwed. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You can accept it, pay your deposit, but rescind your acceptance if you do get into your top choice.

You’ll lose your 1000 dollars from your deposit but , correct me if I’m wrong, UCFs tuition is around 60k for all 3 years and NSUs is 80+

If I were you I would just put my deposit in and see how it plays out. You’re in a win-win scenario :)

Reactions: 1 user
You can accept it, pay your deposit, but rescind your acceptance if you do get into your top choice.

You’ll lose your 1000 dollars from your deposit but , correct me if I’m wrong, UCFs tuition is around 60k for all 3 years and NSUs is 80+

If I were you I would just put my deposit in and see how it plays out. You’re in a win-win scenario :)

I will consider that for sure! Thank you!

I heard a rumor that other schools can see where you've been accepted to, and if you've accepted. Do you know if that's true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will consider that for sure! Thank you!

I heard a rumor that other schools can see where you've been accepted to, and if you've accepted. Do you know if that's true?

I’m not sure, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that is true though

I would also consider contacting UCF to inform them that you have a decision to make on your acceptance from NSU by October 13, but let them know that UCF remains your top choice. I’m sure they’ll give you advice on the best way to handle the situation as I’m sure it’s not too rare for this to happen

Congratulations on your acceptance! I would also consider contacting Nova and seeing if they will extend your date for deposit. That seems awfully early and I thought I had read something that they were going to standardize the dates more so that this kind of situation doesn't happen.

UCF doesn't even start interviewing until December. I know my first choice school changed as I went through the process, got acceptances, had interviews, talked to current students, etc. I did get a deposit date extended by a month while I considered my options. Best of luck to you. I am currently a first year at UF.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I would also consider contacting Nova and seeing if they will extend your date for deposit. That seems awfully early and I thought I had read something that they were going to standardize the dates more so that this kind of situation doesn't happen.

UCF doesn't even start interviewing until December. I know my first choice school changed as I went through the process, got acceptances, had interviews, talked to current students, etc. I did get a deposit date extended by a month while I considered my options. Best of luck to you. I am currently a first year at UF.
The date for deposit is in January, but they want to know if you accept or decline the offer by october 13th, but this all seems so early still!

Thank you for the congrats! When did you hear from UF last year?

Did you apply ED to Nova?

I've pretty much applied to all schools in FL and as it stands right now, I have only received follow up emails from each school stating my applications are ready to be presented to the review board.

Congratulations on your acceptance though!

Did you apply ED to Nova?

I've pretty much applied to all schools in FL and as it stands right now, I have only received follow up emails from each school stating my applications are ready to be presented to the review board.

Congratulations on your acceptance though!

Thank you! And I didn't do ED to Nova, so I'm kind of confused as to why I heard back so early! I am going to call them tomorrow to try to find everything out. I also received those follow up emails.

Okay, that makes more sense that they don't want the deposit yet. By all means, accept Nova, and then wait to see what happens with your other schools. I definitely did that last year when I got accepted early to a school I hadn't even visited. Once I visited it and knew I wouldn't attend, I let them know and I accepted the next school I had admission from. Once I heard from UF and made my decision to attend, then I let the other school know, and also declined my upcoming interviews. I was invited to attend their Visit Day (different than open house, invite only) in late October, and went to it in early December. They sent admission letters about mid December. I can't imagine any school doesn't understand that if you have the option you will look at your multiple admissions provided you let them know in as timely a manner as possible that you then decline. I am pretty sure it is expected. I know talking on this forum to several other people, they also did the same with their early admission offers, as they waited for their number one choice. It could be March for some Florida schools, so enjoy the fact that no matter what, you know you are going to PT school.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, that makes more sense that they don't want the deposit yet. By all means, accept Nova, and then wait to see what happens with your other schools. I definitely did that last year when I got accepted early to a school I hadn't even visited. Once I visited it and knew I wouldn't attend, I let them know and I accepted the next school I had admission from. Once I heard from UF and made my decision to attend, then I let the other school know, and also declined my upcoming interviews. I was invited to attend their Visit Day (different than open house, invite only) in late October, and went to it in early December. They sent admission letters about mid December. I can't imagine any school doesn't understand that if you have the option you will look at your multiple admissions provided you let them know in as timely a manner as possible that you then decline. I am pretty sure it is expected. I know talking on this forum to several other people, they also did the same with their early admission offers, as they waited for their number one choice. It could be March for some Florida schools, so enjoy the fact that no matter what, you know you are going to PT school.

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I'm going to do that. Will it hurt my chances of getting in anywhere else if I already accept Nova, though? My top two are UCF and UF and I really want to get in there.

Hello! California resident here researching out of state programs and UCF is on my list. May I ask fellow individuals why UCF is a top choice for you? What were the factors that interest you?

Hello! California resident here researching out of state programs and UCF is on my list. May I ask fellow individuals why UCF is a top choice for you? What were the factors that interest you?

I love the location and I love the area. I also looked online and loved their curriculum, and how it is very research-based. I went to their open house and fell in love. Each teacher has some sort of specialization, which comes in handy when conducting research and looking at electives for a prospective specialization, and they all stress that they want to make sure you succeed in the program. The class size is very small so it is an intimate setting, and they have their own 24 hour access to their classrooms. They have an amazing cadaver lab! The students all seemed very friendly, and the teachers were hilarious and kind as well. I just fell in love with it when I toured the campus! They have some youtube videos touring their classrooms that you should check out!

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't hurt your chances. I know I still received interview and admission offers after accepting a school. UCF is a great program and those were some of the same reasons I liked it so much after the Open House. UF is also very research based and I love how everyone is right there with all the other medical and allied health students. You truly couldn't go wrong with either program. That's how I felt last year.

One thing though,for piano idol. I don't think UCF accepts many out of state students. Definitely something worth asking Samantha.

It shouldn't hurt your chances. I know I still received interview and admission offers after accepting a school. UCF is a great program and those were some of the same reasons I liked it so much after the Open House. UF is also very research based and I love how everyone is right there with all the other medical and allied health students. You truly couldn't go wrong with either program. That's how I felt last year.

One thing though,for piano idol. I don't think UCF accepts many out of state students. Definitely something worth asking Samantha.

pianoidol, I heard the same! Definitely do what dptwannabee1 said.

Thank you so much! You've been so helpful!!!

Hey guys, 3rd year UCF DPT student here. A vast majority of us are from in state. Those who were not from Florida waited a year to get Florida residency so they could get in state tuition.

So this morning I was just accepted to NSU DPT, however this is not my top choice (my top choice is UCF). This is a school that is definitely high up on my list though, so I am very excited! However, the acceptance decision is due October 13th (extremely soon?!), and I don't want to accept it because it's not my top choice, but I'm afraid if I don't accept and then don't get in anywhere else I will kind of be screwed. Advice?

A bird in the hand in worth 2 in the bush. Don't lose out on the opportunity to be a DPT for the sole reason of "it wasnt my top choice". This is just my personal opinion however.

Reactions: 2 users
A bird in the hand in worth 2 in the bush. Don't lose out on the opportunity to be a DPT for the sole reason of "it wasnt my top choice". This is just my personal opinion however.

That's my mentality as well. I'm extremely happy to be accepted somewhere!

Why not out of state programs? I guess there are mixed reviews on this. I hear some programs accept out of state more due to student tuition. Who is Samantha?

Some state schools prefer and feel their mission is to support instate students. i am not saying all state schools do this. I believe that UCF is a school that chooses their student body from almost exclusively in state students. You can check this out on PTCAS. They list that they accept 99 percent of their student body from in state applicants. I just checked. And Samantha is the admissions director. She is very accessible to answer questions. Her email is in the UCF PTCAS profile.
There are state schools in Florida that accept a reasonable number of out of state students. UCF just isn't one of them. You could try USF, or UF if you wish to attend PT school in Florida and are willing to pay out of state fees.

That's my mentality as well. I'm extremely happy to be accepted somewhere!
Iv seen your stats, with that you will get an interview at UCF. Best of luck

I just got a call from Nova saying that my application is now under review. About how long did it take for you to hear after you got that call?? And congrats on your acceptance!

I just got a call from Nova saying that my application is now under review. About how long did it take for you to hear after you got that call?? And congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks! And I submitted my application the beginning of August, and I filled out my supplemental application August 15th. I never actually got a call saying my application was under review, but I received my acceptance September 21st! So roughly a one month period. They also did not request an interview, I believe they interview some people if they feel they need to. Best of luck to you!

Thanks! And I submitted my application the beginning of August, and I filled out my supplemental application August 15th. I never actually got a call saying my application was under review, but I received my acceptance September 21st! So roughly a one month period. They also did not request an interview, I believe they interview some people if they feel they need to. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the info!

Oddly enough, I was just accepted to Nova as well!

It's not my top choice, but I think I'm going to send in my intent to enroll then see what the future has in store! Maybe I'll see you there!

Oh, awesome! Yeah, maybe we will be classmates! I'm gonna send my intent to enroll form tomorrow!