MD Accepted but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I am a non-trad who has finally been accepted to med school after years and years of reapplying but my feelings are not what I expected after getting the good news. I feel extremely low in self-confidence, tired with a serious lack of ambition, and self-doubt not about my choice of profession but in myself.

Don't get me wrong though. I am deeply grateful for this opportunity, would get down on my knees, and thank everyone for believing in me to lead to this admission.

For some reason, I just don't know how to muster the energy and become that student with a fresh spark of life, vitality, drive to be a good med student. Instead, I feel like something has been sucked out of me with this admissions process. Most med students get burned out during their studies or residencies but if this is already happening before, am very worried.

Has anyone gone through a similar thought process and can shed some light on how to get past it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same feeling here. I guess having to apply so many times takes the life out of you and you feel a certain shame that it took you so long to begin with.

Hello everyone,

I am a non-trad who has finally been accepted to med school after years and years of reapplying but my feelings are not what I expected after getting the good news. I feel extremely low in self-confidence, tired with a serious lack of ambition, and self-doubt not about my choice of profession but in myself.

Don't get me wrong though. I am deeply grateful for this opportunity, would get down on my knees, and thank everyone for believing in me to lead to this admission.

For some reason, I just don't know how to muster the energy and become that student with a fresh spark of life, vitality, drive to be a good med student. Instead, I feel like something has been sucked out of me with this admissions process. Most med students get burned out during their studies or residencies but if this is already happening before, am very worried.

Has anyone gone through a similar thought process and can shed some light on how to get past it?

It is normal. Felt the same after getting accepted to podiatry school. Got better after surviving 1st year, thinking I'd flunk out by now.

You build up this perfect picture of finally getting on the mountain top after struggling so hard, expecting everything to be in a better light.

The reality is once you've accomplished that goal- life moves on. People do not care whether you're a medical student or not. People will not see how much you've struggled to get where you are, the sacrifices you made, the work you put in.

And it is OK. Take time to accept that. Yes, this is a monumental self achievement for you, but life moves on and people outside of the SDN hive-mind could not care less whether you're a brain surgeon or a plumber.

Take some time to come to terms with it.
Set a new goal. Go do something you've always wanted to do. Take lessons. Be adventurous.
Talk to your significant other.
Tell yourself "It is ok that I am feeling like this. I will get over it. I have done very well. Getting into medical school was huge, but I am going to conquer the next thing."

My wife gives me perspective every time I come home. She reminds me there is more to life than being a healthcare professional. She reminds me that I am not the only one with hardships. She reminds me that the whole medical prestige thing is overblown- you get out of life what you make of it. Medicine may be a huge part of your life, but it is not the end all be all like pre-meds would want you to believe.

Take some time to accept your current state. Take some time to get off the high. Then pick yourself up, and go do something new. Find something different to conquer. There is so much more waiting for you. Don't just sit there and expect getting into medical school to be all there is to life.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Not making light of it, just pointing out it's a such a common feeling. I can say I felt similar getting in, graduating, getting into residency, and finishing. Unless my time scale is off, you have some time to reflect on your acceptance before you commit 100%, right?

Maybe keep the acceptance and then tempt yourself and/or explore alternative life plans in the meanwhile? And also, give yourself your due congratulations!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the replies and kind words of support everyone. It makes a lot of difference hearing that one is not alone and feeling like this.

I do have a month or so of relaxing activities to pursue ,away from the medical world for a bit, and hope that will bring some positive change both physically and for the mindset.

Best of luck to all of us who are on this long journey (& marathon) of medicine!

Fellow non-trad here. It is common. It should go away once you are actually in classes with your peers - at least it did for me.

Had the same feeling through orientation. "Is it too late to run?" "When is it too late to run? I guess my 401k can cover the first semester" "Tickets to St John are so cheap, I should just run..." Died down once classes started, came back during M1 summer "Do I really want to go back?" "I miss this, being able to leave work at work and not worry about homework/studying..."

"I miss this, being able to leave work at work and not worry about homework/studying..."

I wish I could have left work at work. I had a Blackberry and staff in the bad places and a blockheaded customer and it was 24/7 B.S.

I wish I could have left work at work. I had a Blackberry and staff in the bad places and a blockheaded customer and it was 24/7 B.S.

I was like that once, in the beginning. Then I realized I was just being used. If employers want 24/7 coverage they can pay for it.

I was like that once, in the beginning. Then I realized I was just being used. If employers want 24/7 coverage they can pay for it.
They were paying handsomely for it in my case, but the pointless stress was doing actual literal damage.