Accepted MSTP - question about partner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle_123

Reaction score
I have a somewhat unique situation I would really like some feedback on: I am an accepted MSTP student and will very likely be attending a program in a city with a lot of other schools. My fiancee is an international student with a sub 3.3 cGPA (will probably be around 3.4 by graduation). We both really want to stay together and not do long distance and she really likes research (but eventually wants to go to medical school). Would it be a bad idea for her to pursue a PhD (either getting in straight through or doing one or two gap years working in a lab or in a master’s program first) in the city I will be attending, and then apply to medical schools all over the country and I could try to match to that city (assuming I still want to pursue residency after the program as I do now)? Finances are not an issue fortunately (us staying together is a bigger priority).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that getting into a PhD program near by may be easier for your partner than a straight MD admit. Although, one word of advice: the PhD will not in any way make up for undergrad performance, or give your partner much of an edge when it comes to med schools down the line. I have an international undergrad and US PhD, and my cycle has been... I have no idea (4 interviews but no As so far) and my experience seems to be in line with others I have spoken to irl and on this site who have applied to med school with this advanced degree.

In short: if your partner likes research and can see a career in research (eg academia, pharma) I think a PhD is a great idea. If she ultimately wants to go to med school in eight years, just know that it may be an uphill battle regardless and both of you getting placement in the same place for both school and residency may still be challenging

Reactions: 4 users
I agree that getting into a PhD program near by may be easier for your partner than a straight MD admit. Although, one word of advice: the PhD will not in any way make up for undergrad performance, or give your partner much of an edge when it comes to med schools down the line. I have an international undergrad and US PhD, and my cycle has been... I have no idea (4 interviews but no As so far) and my experience seems to be in line with others I have spoken to irl and on this site who have applied to med school with this advanced degree.

In short: if your partner likes research and can see a career in research (eg academia, pharma) I think a PhD is a great idea. If she ultimately wants to go to med school in eight years, just know that it may be an uphill battle regardless and both of you getting placement in the same place for both school and residency may still be challenging
What would you suggest in our situation? You will probably get an A by the end of the cycle with 4 IIs, goodluck!

Thank you so much @eagle_123 !

So this is just my two cents for your situation: I think it would be a good idea for your partner to join a lab as a research assistant (preferably affiliated to a med school), and then try and identify local med schools where she could apply to in the next few years. For example, if you are going to be in NYC and you will be graduating from the MSTP in 2030, ideally, she can try and get a research assistant role in one of the many NYC schools, and then apply to medical schools in the city for the class of 2029 or 2030. That way you both can graduate at the same time (if she gets into school a year earlier, she could take a gap year). While doing the research assistantship, she could focus on making sure her med school app is strengthened overall, as well as network with local med schools. In your particular case, it would probably be best for her to apply early decision at a local school after establishing a relationship with the school and talking to the admissions dean about fit.

This way, your partner still has a few years to engage in research close to you and work on her app, but it can also be a time for exploration. If she loves research a lot, maybe she could do a PhD and even think about changing career paths. However, if medicine is still the ultimate goal, then it doesn't take anything away from that. Plus, if you both graduate at the same time you both could use the couple match to match in a similar location/hospital for residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much @eagle_123 !

So this is just my two cents for your situation: I think it would be a good idea for your partner to join a lab as a research assistant (preferably affiliated to a med school), and then try and identify local med schools where she could apply to in the next few years. For example, if you are going to be in NYC and you will be graduating from the MSTP in 2030, ideally, she can try and get a research assistant role in one of the many NYC schools, and then apply to medical schools in the city for the class of 2029 or 2030. That way you both can graduate at the same time (if she gets into school a year earlier, she could take a gap year). While doing the research assistantship, she could focus on making sure her med school app is strengthened overall, as well as network with local med schools. In your particular case, it would probably be best for her to apply early decision at a local school after establishing a relationship with the school and talking to the admissions dean about fit.

This way, your partner still has a few years to engage in research close to you and work on her app, but it can also be a time for exploration. If she loves research a lot, maybe she could do a PhD and even think about changing career paths. However, if medicine is still the ultimate goal, then it doesn't take anything away from that. Plus, if you both graduate at the same time you both could use the couple match to match in a similar location/hospital for residency.
Thanks for the feedback!!