Accepted-now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notinuse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was finally accepted! (This was my second year applying and I was waitlisted both years, before being offered a spot this go round.) Now that the initial excitement has worn off a bit, I'm wondering how to prepare myself for this huge life change. What are you other incoming 1st years doing to emotionally/mentally prepare yourselves? Any advice from current students?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing some reading that professor I'll be working with suggested. I'm also trying to finish up a paper I've been working on that got pushed to the side during applications. I know I won't have time to get it done once I start school! Plus I have to move. Blah.

Other than that though, I'm really trying to relax. I've been pushing so hard this year, and now I'm having trouble switching gears and slowing down! I've heard quite a few people (both at SDN and elsewhere) describe grad school as being like a marathon (as opposed to undergrad which is more like a series of sprints). I've been trying to keep that in mind - that I'll be working intensely without a lot of breaks for the next 6 years or so, and this may be my last chance to really relax for awhile!

This could be a nice companion thread to the "how not to live in a box" thread! It's focused more the mental/emotional components as opposed to the health/money components of graduate school (not that they aren't all tied together to a certain extent!). It would be great if some current grad students could post!

notinuse said:
I'm wondering how to prepare myself for this huge life change. What are you other incoming 1st years doing to emotionally/mentally prepare yourselves? Any advice from current students?

This could be a nice companion thread to the "how not to live in a box" thread! It's focused more the mental/emotional components as opposed to the health/money components of graduate school (not that they aren't all tied together to a certain extent!). It would be great if some current grad students could post!

This is a great idea!

Some things off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1. Take some time off. Don't burn out before you start grad school, because there will be plenty of opportunity to burn out there. :laugh:
2. Cut yourself some slack. You will be overwhelmed when you start your program, just accept that. Big life changes, blah, blah, blah.
3. Time management...without it, you are in Double Secret Probation trouble
4. Make sure to give yourself some time. I call mine "Hammock Time". ~4% (1/24th)....you need at least 4% of your day to just be about you. Find that hour and use it.
5. You are about to start on a great experience, so try and enjoy it. Don't get caught up in only the numbers and deadlines.

I'll add more later, time to go get ready for a banquet (read: FREE FOOD....Dinner, actually!) I guess that should be #6. I'll give the nod to Piled Higher & Deeper for this one, they have some great strips about crashing various events.

A common grad school mantra: "If it's FREE, it's ME!"

Once you are a skilled grad student, you will not only be able to do some kick butt data analysis, but you'll also be able to swing invites to most major dinners/fund raisers/banquets. I usually have 1-3 a month, which at the end of the year adds up to a significant amount of steak, wine, and seafood I wouldn't have otherwise been able to have.

So the above should be #6.

-t