Accepted to a post bacc—need a 494 mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auora

Reaction score
hi

So I’ve been accepted to a post bacc program and need a 494 to advance to their medical school. I am a non traditional student and have been out of school for a few years. Can any one give me some advice or tips on how to begin studying? I have about 5 months of study time.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hi

So I’ve been accepted to a post bacc program and need a 494 to advance to their medical school. I am a non traditional student and have been out of school for a few years. Can any one give me some advice or tips on how to begin studying? I have about 5 months of study time.

Thank you
A 494 is the 27th percentile. Just do UWorld and a few practice tests and you should be more than fine. I would imagine you could guess your way higher than a 494.

Reactions: 1 user
hi

Thank you

Have you finished all of your prerequisite classes? If yes, when was the last time you took them? Either way, I'd suggest starting with content review before moving to practice questions. Find one that works for you (TPR, Kaplan, TBR etc.).

I also agree with Dochopeful13. I made it a goal to finish all the questions (1800 or so) on UWorld before moving to other practice tests and then AAMC a month out before my exam. UWorld is also good for content review as you move through the questions. By the time I made it to AAMC materials (QPacks, SB, FL1,2,3 etc.), I was very familiar with a lot of concepts. AAMC FL tests are the best predictor of your score, so save them till you feel somewhat ready and about a month or so out from your actual test date.

Have you finished all of your prerequisite classes? If yes, when was the last time you took them? Either way, I'd suggest starting with content review before moving to practice questions. Find one that works for you (TPR, Kaplan, TBR etc.).

I also agree with Dochopeful13. I made it a goal to finish all the questions (1800 or so) on UWorld before moving to other practice tests and then AAMC a month out before my exam. UWorld is also good for content review as you move through the questions. By the time I made it to AAMC materials (QPacks, SB, FL1,2,3 etc.), I was very familiar with a lot of concepts. AAMC FL tests are the best predictor of your score, so save them till you feel somewhat ready and about a month or so out from your actual test date.
Unfortunately I have never done UWorld. Would you say it’s more than sufficient for content review??

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I have never done UWorld. Would you say it’s more than sufficient for content review??
UWorld alone wouldn't be sufficient for content review, you would need to do a structured content review first before moving on to practice. Also try taking the unscored AAMC test at the beginning of your review to see your weak areas.

Do you mind me asking which postbacc? I'm looking at a few as some potential options, would love to know more! For my MCAT, I went through UWorld first, and then AAMC and one other platform. I found that Uworld was great for finding some weak areas in subject matter, and AAMC was great in finding weak areas in testing process. But I definitely needed more than just one platform.

Do you think UWorld is worth $200 since they don't offer a 90-day trial anymore?

I have heard UWorld is more so for getting content down cold rather than honing critical thinking skills. Would you agree?
Not totally. Yes they are good for getting content down, but by reading and analyzing through passages in order to answer questions, you gain some critical thinking skills there.