Accepted to AUC w/o an interview...what gives??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIYLobotomy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for several months, finally registered, so greetings to all!

Anyhow just a quick question/poll:

Did anyone else get accepted (May 2008) to AUC without even interviewing??

I'm not complaining, just find it a little odd and off-setting.

PLS RSPND! THX!!

Members don't see this ad.

You will have better luck on valuemd.com as they have a forum for AUC. AUC only interviews weak candidates. You must have good stats for a foreign school.
good luck

i got into a AUC without an interview also, i don't think they interview alot of people. i am not going to go there though.

I was really turned off that they didn't interview me. I didn't get to meet the factuality etc., and were a big ambiguity to me. I like how sgu handled the process a lot more. They show you around there hospital and meet the students. It was more professional IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiousity, what are both of your stats? I wanna know if I might be eligible for an acceptance w/o interview.

3.63 gpa 26 mcat. Hope that helps

SGU also accepts 400+ students per semester and that I find to be far more insulting to the student than to reserve interviews for borderline students.

SGU also accepts 400+ students per semester and that I find to be far more insulting to the student than to reserve interviews for borderline students.

I want insulted that i did not get interviewed from AUC. All I meant was that I wish they did interview me. For sgu i got to see their hospital, and students etc. which was a plus. I am not attending either of those schools though, but I did have a positive experience from SGU.

When you say "their hospital," where exactly were you interviewed? My interview was at a Raleigh, NC hospital. I was very disappointed with the experience with SGU. Their interview was short and seemed odd to me, and the whole process took far too long and the communication left a lot to be desired. AUC and Ross handled things much more professionally in my opinion. Everything was done quickly, and both schools communicated well with what I needed to do/send, and were very open to questions that I had.

I was only interviewed by SGU and Ross, no interview for AUC. Eventually I was accepted to Ross, AUC, and SGU, but I agree with McGillGrad, I was turned off by the 400+ class sizes at Ross and SGU and chose AUC.

it was at long island college hospital. Many sgu students rotate there. I am sorry you had a bad experience at sgu.

Last edited:
No interview necessary. Breathing + $$$ = Acceptance

Coming from a guy who has never interviewed at a Caribbean med school. There are some Caribbean schools where this may be true, but I can assure you that the top 4 have higher standards. And by the way, I guess you missed the thread about a guy who was allowed into a US med school without having to take the MCAT or go through the other admission hurdles. In his case, it was all about connections.

3.63 gpa 26 mcat. Hope that helps

AN interview would be nice, but these stats are a shoe in for the Caribbean

they will accept anyone above 3.0 (3.1 or 3.2 ish SGU) and 24 MCAT almost 100% the time, the higher these numbers the better that its a shoe in.

As far as the stupid $$$ gets you in posts......... Uh no it does not, just do a search here and on VMD and find the hundreds of panic "I was rejected" posts.

Truth is they do select who gets in

Do not listen to the children who post here sometimes

I know they will grow up someday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with whoever said they had a bad SGU experience. The interview was so short and pointless that it would have been better to not have one at all. It all just felt like a formality. I prepared a lot for it and he only asked me why I wanted to go to SGU. It was just so pointless. On top of that, the resident who interviewed me did not have an office so we interviewed in a large closet. It really was just ridiculous. Aaaaand my 'admissions advisor' that they assigned me is a little rude and barely ever communicates w me. AUC has been in constant contact and has sent letters detailing everything on top of calling me. Not only that, but my admissions advisor is very nice. So I have definitely noticed a huge difference between the schools. And the number of ppl that SGU accepts every semester is disconcerning.

And don't pay any attention to the losers who say crap like having money and a pulse gets you in. While it may be easier to get in, getting through all of it is what counts and makes you just as good a doctor as a US grad. Don't feel bad- seriously. A lot of people don't do well in college and it isn't because you aren't capable. College is a growing time and for many people, it is the first time they are away from their families etc.

New to student doctor so bare with me! I was recently accepted into AUC for September 2009. I was also accepted without an interview, I am not complaining either (less stress, money, traveling)! I interviewed with St. Matthews (accepted), SABA (accepted) Ross (accepted) & St George (accepted). Two were phone interviews and the other two were in person. I must say the most enjoyable was St. Matthews, they went over and above to make me comfortable and satisfied! Anyways I chose to go to AUC. Just replying so you know you were not the only one accepted without an interview. I can not say enough about how accommodating AUC personnel has been (even before acceptance). I was weary at first about not being interviewed, but seriously I am in and excited so moving on..other stuff to worry about now:D

New to student doctor so bare with me! I was recently accepted into AUC for September 2009. I was also accepted without an interview, I am not complaining either (less stress, money, traveling)! I interviewed with St. Matthews (accepted), SABA (accepted) Ross (accepted) & St George (accepted). Two were phone interviews and the other two were in person. I must say the most enjoyable was St. Matthews, they went over and above to make me comfortable and satisfied! Anyways I chose to go to AUC. Just replying so you know you were not the only one accepted without an interview. I can not say enough about how accommodating AUC personnel has been (even before acceptance). I was weary at first about not being interviewed, but seriously I am in and excited so moving on..other stuff to worry about now:D

If you don't mind me asking why AUC over SGU or Ross? I see a lot of threads saying the opposite. ie. SGU/Ross a better choice.

They all offer the same thing, an MD.
I think an individual would get the same result no matter where he went.
Look at the island, the clinicals, the facilities.
We are essentially debating GM, Ford, Chrysler.
I went to AUC and have no hesitation recommending it.

(My first post!) So I received an acceptance at AUC (w/o interview), Ross and I have an interview at SGU. I think I am going to choose AUC.

:DAUC: smaller classes (this won me over as I am a McGill undergrad used to 600:1 student:teacher ratios and hate it!), better island (you say it does not make a difference but it does, I dont want to be miserable for 2 years), lots of guidance and help through out applications until graduation

:confused:Ross: Loved the curicculum (e.g if you learn cardio, you learn histology, embryology, pharmacology... then once done move onto next organ system), liked the idea of Bahamas campus for more problem based learning for students who were doing well. However, I have heard soooo many bad sotries about Ross students having trouble getting the clinical rotations they needed (like calling for 4 months on end) so thats why I decided not to (feel so bad rejecting them! I told them Ross was my 1st choice at interview, but it was at the time!), oh and baad island, like student lose power b4 exams because too many people using it and yellow rain water... I am adaptable but to a point!

:cool:SGU: heard no real bad stories. Some say it has a better name (I believe that is only slight though, I mean we will all be judged as Caribbean students), it bought over hospitals or wtv in NY (but thats cause they needed to ensure more spots for studnets whereas AUC never had that problem), I hate thoguh how their graduates promote AGU but bash other Caribbean schools liek AUC/Ross, thats just unprofessional... I am contemplating not even going to the interview, is that bad? I am so excited to finally be goign to med school! And my bf is moving down with me! I am so grateful and SDN has been such a help in making me choose between schools, thanks everyone!:thumbup:

(My first post!) So I received an acceptance at AUC (w/o interview), Ross and I have an interview at SGU. I think I am going to choose AUC.

:DAUC: smaller classes (this won me over as I am a McGill undergrad used to 600:1 student:teacher ratios and hate it!), better island (you say it does not make a difference but it does, I dont want to be miserable for 2 years), lots of guidance and help through out applications until graduation

:confused:Ross: Loved the curriculum (e.g if you learn cardio, you learn histology, embryology, pharmacology... then once done move onto next organ system), liked the idea of Bahamas campus for more problem based learning for students who were doing well. However, I have heard soooo many bad stories about Ross students having trouble getting the clinical rotations they needed (like calling for 4 months on end) so thats why I decided not to (feel so bad rejecting them! I told them Ross was my 1st choice at interview, but it was at the time!), oh and baaad island, like student lose power b4 exams because too many people using it and yellow rain water... I am adaptable but to a point!

:cool:SGU: heard no real bad stories. Some say it has a better name (I believe that is only slight though liek diff between Harvard and Yale, I mean we will all be judged as Caribbean students), it bought over hospitals or wtv in NY (but thats cause they needed to ensure more spots for students whereas AUC never had that problem), I hate though how their graduates promote SGU but bash other Caribbean schools like AUC/Ross, thats just unprofessional... I am contemplating not even going to the interview, is that bad? I am so excited to finally be going to med school! And my bf is moving down with me! I am so grateful and SDN has been such a help in making me choose between schools, thanks everyone!:thumbup:

Last edited:
You're going to get varying opinions.

And this is just 1...
1. I believe SGU is the best out there. I know a couple of highly successful grads that did excellent university based residency programs

2. Ross had a fantastic seminar...BUT...I've heard way too many negative things about Dominica from current and past students...and it seems since it was sold to DeVry, quality has gone down. They're letting in 1200 students per year...and even with high attrition rates not sure how they're going to keep up with securing rotations.

3. AUC: I have no first hand experience with their grads, but they have been around a while and have graduated many

My advice is go to SGU if you can afford it. Mostly because it seems that they are less of a "self study" than other offshore schools. They have invested in programs to help you along...mentoring...student services, etc.

They do however let in a large amount of students, so this can be a turn off.

I'd recommend AUC next...nicer island...less entering students...federal loans

For me I personally like Saba. Small classes. Boring, safe island. Low tuition.

btw, getting back to the main topic... I dont think its a bad thing getting in without an interview. If you look at other posts, people have gotten into NYU w/o interview into med

Coming from a guy who has never interviewed at a Caribbean med school. There are some Caribbean schools where this may be true, but I can assure you that the top 4 have higher standards. And by the way, I guess you missed the thread about a guy who was allowed into a US med school without having to take the MCAT or go through the other admission hurdles. In his case, it was all about connections.

and the dean was fired. Pretty sure the student didnt matriculate or was removed.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/schools/2008/05/uf-medical-scho.html

The face-to-face interview is just another hurdle, but not a great tool to determine if they will do well or fit in.

A phone interview would be just as effective to make sure the person can speak and understand English.