Accepted to competitive MD school with 25P. Don't ever lose sight of your goal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a phone call from the dean at a competitive MD school in PA (avg MCAT 31 GPA: 3.7) My stats were a 3.66 overall and 3.51 science. I had a 25 P on the MCAT.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this. I had SDN members, professors, LizzyM's excel file, everyone telling me that it wasn't possible. But, I GOT IN.

[youtube]J-U3_hjw4-s[/youtube] If your reasons are pure for wanting to become a doctor and your determined to reach your goal, congratulations on the acceptance letter you'll soon get.

I felt like the video below the entire time.. PROVE YOURSELF on the interview and on your application. Don't let the MCAT be in charge of your future.

[youtube]jx8Q0lnvf8c[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations and thank you for posting your encouraging story here on SDN. Are there any advice you would like to give others who are applying or will apply in similar situtations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dangit I lost my rubix cube and now I really want to play with it. :mad:

congratulations, it's true though, if this is your dream, if a doctor is what you want to be, just go for it. never lose sight of that goal, work hard towards it, and everything else will take care of itself.

I think the OP was trying to imply that if your intentions are pure (i.e. becoming a physician because you have a genuine interest in medicine oppose to the alternative of making money) you will have the motivation and endurance (from god or from within) to pursue your career no matter what odds or obstacle gets in your way as demonstrated with the "The Pursuit of Happiness" clip with Will Smith. :)

Here's my advice:

If you were to fill a room with patients rather than an admissions committee, what do you think they would be looking for in the applicants? They don't know what the numbers mean. Chances are they would look at your extracurriculars, they would listen to how you speak to determine if you're smart enough, motivated enough, and compassionate enough to be a good doctor.

Build your application around what you think patients want and not what an admissions committee wants.

The dean is a person too, and if you get to them on a personal level and show them that you (as a person) will be a good doctor, you'll get in.

Make sure you have an okay MCAT (at least an 8 in each section) and an okay GPA. They don't need to be stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats man!!!! As someone who is in a similar boat as you, you really made my day!

I see that your location is "rural USA." Are you at all interested in rural medicine? Congrats, again :thumbup:

Last edited:
disadvantaged URM? just curious cause that is important.

Congratulations for getting in....but it is important for people to realize that other sdner's, professors, admins, and that LizzyM excel sheet gives you an "idea" of where you are. They are not for sure right and they don't take many other factors into account.

It's always nice to hear of an underdog coming out on top, but it's a bit naive to suggest that anyone with bad stats can get into med school if they put in a good effort and have a great subjective part of their application. I wouldn't ever advise anyone to approach med school application the way I did even though it worked out for me.

:thumbdown:I was wondering how long that would take... Congrats on the acceptance

I don't mean anything by it at all, I am just curious because it is a factor isn't it? Sorry If I offended anyone, I did not intend to at all. :oops:

I was accepted into a private school that gives little in-state preference (don't want to name it here..but I'm sure you can figure it out). I am a white, traditional, senior in college (not an ivy school). I did apply for disadvantaged status since my family is blue-collar (made about $30,000 a year for a family of 4).

I am interested in rural med, which lined up with the school's mission.

Bacchus' comment isn't rude. The "too much info" is because he erased his previous post that identified the school and asked me if I was going there. I can't answer that on SDN. There are numerous factors that I have considered seriously and when I hand a school the money, you'll find out where I'm going.

PRAY HARD...MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO SOMEONE...PREPARE FOR INTERVIEW.

Why is it too much information to say what school accepted you? I'm confused, 1/2 of the people on here have that in their MDapplicants file or their signature... Is it because you haven't mailed in the deposit yet?.....

I was accepted into a private school that gives little in-state preference (don't want to name it here..but I'm sure you can figure it out). I am a white, traditional, senior in college (not an ivy school). I did apply for disadvantaged status since my family is blue-collar (made about $30,000 a year for a family of 4).

I am interested in rural med, which lined up with the school's mission.

Bacchus' comment isn't rude. The "too much info" is because he erased his previous post that identified the school and asked me if I was going there. I can't answer that on SDN. There are numerous factors that I have considered seriously and when I hand a school the money, you'll find out where I'm going.

PRAY HARD...MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO SOMEONE...PREPARE FOR INTERVIEW.

that usually works for me. dude! i am really happy for u! congrats! :D

A disadvantaged student from a rural area who is interested in rural medicine might be admitted despite a 25P. It should in no way be seen as a case of "25P will get you an offer from a good school if you want it bad enough or if you interview well."

In most cases, a vanilla applicant with a 25P is not going to get an interview from a private school with high average stats. Something rare (<10% of applicants having this attribute) might get you an interview that would have otherwise been impossible.

A disadvantaged student from a rural area who is interested in rural medicine might be admitted despite a 25P. It should in no way be seen as a case of "25P will get you an offer from a good school if you want it bad enough or if you interview well."

In most cases, a vanilla applicant with a 25P is not going to get an interview from a private school with high average stats. Something rare (<10% of applicants having this attribute) might get you an interview that would have otherwise been impossible.

That's what I was going to say. OP, I'm really glad you got accepted, and I'm sure you're going to be a great doctor. BUT, this is a very fortunate turn of events that most applicants should not expect.

That's what I was going to say. OP, I'm really glad you got accepted, and I'm sure you're going to be a great doctor. BUT, this is a very fortunate turn of events that most applicants should not expect.
:thumbup::thumbup: The success that you've had is proof that it is possible to gain acceptance to medical school without fantastic stats. It's quite impressive. But it's only impressive because few others will gain acceptance with the same numbers.

People win the lottery every day. Though we can (and should!) take a moment to celebrate with someone holding the winning ticket, one shouldn't use this success as proof that buying lottery tickets is a good idea.

People win the lottery every day. Though we can (and should!) take a moment to celebrate with someone holding the winning ticket, one shouldn't use this success as proof that buying lottery tickets is a good idea.

I loved this analogy! Even though it was not dumb luck that got OP in (like with a lottery ticket), I thought this was a nice post.
CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!!! :)

Thanks for sharing. Stories like these mean a lot.

I just got a phone call from the dean at a competitive MD school in PA (avg MCAT 31 GPA: 3.7) My stats were a 3.66 overall and 3.51 science. I had a 25 P on the MCAT.

Good work man! 25p for life!!

I don't mean anything by it at all, I am just curious because it is a factor isn't it? Sorry If I offended anyone, I did not intend to at all. :oops:

its a legit question. dont :oops:

as nice as this is, I wouldn't want to be the underdog.. I hope when/if I get to make an acceptance thread, people's response will be "well, no kidding" :p lol

I love being the underdog. At least I know the admissions committee saw something in me other than a test score and a GPA.

Underdog- One who is at a disadvantage and is expected to lose a struggle or contest, but then comes out on top.

It describes my entire life. Being an underdog isn't so bad. I beat the odds.

Han14tra, congrats on your acceptance and accomplishments. I remember your annoyance from being rejected by an osteopathic school with a hostile interviewer earlier in the season, and am glad to see everything worked out for the best :)

I love being the underdog. At least I know the admissions committee saw something in me other than a test score and a GPA.

Underdog- One who is at a disadvantage and is expected to lose a struggle or contest, but then comes out on top.

It describes my entire life. Being an underdog isn't so bad. I beat the odds.

hey congrats - I think you are right. I will be applying with a less than stellar GPA... (still around 3.45-3.55 both overall and sci) we'll see what I do on the MCAT but I've always suspected that if you can get to the point where you're offered an interview, you can get in with extraordinary interviewing skills

Good job OP! Your post was uplifting! :)

True, but so does pretty much everything else you do in undergrad. I'd be more worried about two years down the line seeing the "I failed Step 1! Help!" thread.

True, but so does pretty much everything else you do in undergrad. I'd be more worried about two years down the line seeing the "I failed Step 1! Help!" thread.

I wouldn't think that would be much of a concern, our views are probably skewed though with the way MCAT averages have been shooting up lately. A 25 is not a super score but you still need to know quite a bit of information to even achieve that score.

Agreed. It may not be high but it is at least the national average.

I wouldn't think that would be much of a concern, our views are probably skewed though with the way MCAT averages have been shooting up lately. A 25 is not a super score but you still need to know quite a bit of information to even achieve that score.

errrmm...i dunna if mcat scores have really been shootin up. i think its just this very biased, and, in my opinion, suspect, sample of students here on SDN. my God, you would think just any and everybody could bust a frickin 35 on the mcat on this website. i call bullsh*t for like 80% of the ppl on here:laugh:

and to the OP, congrats. i got a 25 on a practice mcat. im not an idiot. im sure on a good day you coulda done better, and if you could maintain a 3.6, then im sure you could hold ur own in med school. if u got in, u cleared the highest hurdle. now go get fuken wasted!:smuggrin:

Glad to see a fellow underdog come full circle.