Accepted to expensive MD school vs much cheaper DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureRomanianDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have received an acceptance to an out-of-state school (East Tennessee State) and also to
an in-state osteopathic medical school (Campbell). I felt like I could thrive in either schools, but the
biggest problem is that ETSU has an out of state tuition around 60k, whereas Campbell offered me a
scholarship, putting my tuition around 30k.

I'd love advice about which to attend. At this point in time, I'm not fixed on any particular specialties,
but I'm interested in internal medicine, GI, cardiology or neurology. I many DO schools have an inclination towards primary care, but at this point in time, I can't really say whether I would want to go in that direction or not.

Money is definitely an issue, but suggestions and different perspectives would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd decide now on what specialty I'd like to do before hand. If you are still unsure, it's safer to go to the more expensive MD route. MD offers a much much more wider variety of specialties as opposed to DO.

DO fits for internal medicine but you have to be sure that this is what you're going to do.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I have received an acceptance to an out-of-state school (East Tennessee State) and also to
an in-state osteopathic medical school (Campbell). I felt like I could thrive in either schools, but the
biggest problem is that ETSU has an out of state tuition around 60k, whereas Campbell offered me a

I'd love advice about which to attend. At this point in time, I'm not fixed on any particular specialties,
but I'm interested in internal medicine, GI, cardiology or neurology. I many DO schools have an inclination towards primary care, but at this point in time, I can't really say whether I would want to go in that direction or not.

Money is definitely an issue, but suggestions and different perspectives would be appreciated!

GI and Cards would likely be better at an MD school, as they may set you up for a more prestigious IM program which matters for fellowships. Also no guarantee of Cards or GI at an MD school, you'd still have to work your butt off, match well, and work hard in your IM residency.

For general IM or Neurology, I doubt DO would affect your end goal and you'd be completely fine.

We're talking about a difference of 120k + interest which is a lot of money, so I'd go with DO unless you are dead set on Cards and GI and think you have the work ethic to kill it at an MD school.

Is it possible to become an instate resident in Tennessee after a year or 2?

Reactions: 1 users
IM and Neuro are very doable as a DO.

If you look at where ETSU grads go into in terms of residencies, the %'s are strikingly similar to DO schools. They are, in fact, the closest I've ever seen to any average COM. This must be a reflection of their mission. ordinarily, I suggest the MD school, but in this situation, and your stated goals, I'd say go with the free ride.

I'm very curious as to how you as an OOSer managed to snag an acceptance. ETSU is very unfriendly to OOSers. can you share? PM me if needed.

Do keep in mind that 1/3rd of all DOs go into something other than Primary Care.

Hey everyone,

Reactions: 2 users
I would go MD without a doubt as it has the potential to open more doors for you in the future. What difference will 120k in loans make over an entire career (especially in a high paying specialty if this is what you choose)?

Last edited:
How confident do people feel that the residency merger will not significantly affect DO's in a negative way?

How about potential reductions in federal funding (Medicare etc.) to residency positions with the new administration, resulting in a shortfall where MDs and DOs would be competing for fewer slots? (I have not heard anything specific about this actually happening.)

I'm not saying these are likely to become problems, just curious as to what people think.

If I were you, I'd decide now on what specialty I'd like to do before hand. If you are still unsure, it's safer to go to the more expensive MD route. MD offers a much much more wider variety of specialties as opposed to DO.

DO fits for internal medicine but you have to be sure that this is what you're going to do.

Good luck!
Lol how is OP supposed to figure out what specialty he wants to do before entering into medical school or without rotating through different specialities during clinical years? The majority of pre-Med's change their mind during Med school so I don't think that would be wise

Hey everyone,

go US MD. no need to close doors early regardless of what specialty you intend to pursue. hopefully you get a cheaper MD option soon.

I am totally ready to go if this thread turns into an MD vs DO war:corny:

You really never know what speciality you want to go in before medical school. You may go in with something in mind but it could change completely. If this is purely based on money/specialty take the MD. If you want to be closer to home etc. do the instate DO

Status
Not open for further replies.