Accepted to PT school, chances at PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itzsommyjr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non-traditional student (BA from University of Michigan 2007). I went back a few years ago to complete prerequisites for Physical Therapy school, and was accepted to PT school last fall for admission starting at the end of this August. However, around the time I was applying to PT school, I started wondering if I should be looking elsewhere. Med school had been a serious consideration for a long while, but PA made a lot more sense to me for a few reasons: I'm mainly interested in primary care, I'm getting married in the next year, in my 30s, and a host of other reasons.

Long story short, I continued to take undergraduate courses to fulfill prereqs for PA school despite having been accepted to PT school. I am nearing the end of my final semester, and I'm starting to get nervous about having to go through the application process again. Can you guys (realistically) help ease my mind?

1) I was a psych undergrad at UM with a 3.65 GPA, however, since returning to school, I have received a 4.0 in all of my PT prerequisite classes (Bio 1, Chem 1&2, First Aid, Developmental Psych, Physics 1&2, Anatomy & Physiology, Human Physiology, Exercise Physiology), and so far have As in all of my PA prereqs with the exception of Orgo (A-). I'm currently taking Microbiology, Medical Terminology, and an additional psych class I took for the purpose of keeping my loans. I'm having a bit of trouble with micro, but I don't think it will end up being a bad grade or anything below a B+. Am I in good shape?

2) I've been working as a physical therapy tech for over a year and three months. At our clinic, techs participate in hands on treatment, perform massage, ultrasound, set up electrical stimulation, etc. I currently have in the neighborhood of 2500 hours.

3) I lack volunteer work, but I am working on this.

4) Most of my references are going to come from practitioners in PT rather than medicine (with the exception of a friend who is a PA). Should I be concerned about this?

The only class I've had that is past the typical 5-8 year limit is Stats, in which I got an A-

What should I be concerned about, if anything? My goal school is Wayne State, though that is the school at which I am currently accepted as a PT admit. Will this have any bearing on my likelihood of admission?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.