Accepting DO and MD at the same time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is okay to hold onto an acceptance from a DO program at the same time as an acceptance from an MD program? Or is this not really allowed? (before the middle of May)

Members don't see this ad.

Monkeygirl said:
Does anyone know if it is okay to hold onto an acceptance from a DO program at the same time as an acceptance from an MD program? Or is this not really allowed? (before the middle of May)
no rules against it....just don't hold one or the other if you know theres no chance you'd go to it....again its not illegal..just kind of unfair to others who may be on the waitlist at the one you'd rather not go to

I did. It's no different than holding onto multiple acceptances. Just remember to drop by May 15th. Not sure if DO schools have this problem but MD schools prefer that you drop all but one by then. And no, no one found out my little 'secret'. In fact, I was pulled off one school's waitlist in June after I had held onto and then dropped multiple MD/DO acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I definitely won't hold onto any acceptances that I have if I'm not going to attend there-- I'm just thinking about how the process works if you do get so lucky! Do MD programs require a heafty deposit once you accept like the DO programs do? When in the best time to submit your primary for DO if you are applying to MD also?

Also, do you guys have an idea of what sort of range of MCAT score is considered for California DO schools?

thanks

Monkeygirl said:
Thanks for the responses! I definitely won't hold onto any acceptances that I have if I'm not going to attend there-- I'm just thinking about how the process works if you do get so lucky! Do MD programs require a heafty deposit once you accept like the DO programs do? When in the best time to submit your primary for DO if you are applying to MD also?

Also, do you guys have an idea of what sort of range of MCAT score is considered for California DO schools?

thanks

MD deposits are much less and are refundable up to a certain date i believe

and go here http://www.medschoolready.com/app/medstatistics.asp for the MCAT scores, the only two DO schools in CA (if u refine ur search) have averages of 26 and 28

Monkeygirl said:

There's nothing wrong with doing so.

NonTradMed said:
I did. It's no different than holding onto multiple acceptances. Just remember to drop by May 15th. Not sure if DO schools have this problem but MD schools prefer that you drop all but one by then. And no, no one found out my little 'secret'. In fact, I was pulled off one school's waitlist in June after I had held onto and then dropped multiple MD/DO acceptances.

What happens if you don't drop it by May 15th?
I'm asking b/c it seems like there's an "or else..." that should follow that sentence in your post.

DrPhysician said:
What happens if you don't drop it by May 15th?
I'm asking b/c it seems like there's an "or else..." that should follow that sentence in your post.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't an accepted student have to apply for financial aid in the spring before the student matriculates? If so, wouldn't holding multiple acceptances cause a snag somewhere in the financial aid pipeline?

Hardbody said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't an accepted student have to apply for financial aid in the spring before the student matriculates? If so, wouldn't holding multiple acceptances cause a snag somewhere in the financial aid pipeline?
No. You can apply for financial aid for schools you are waitlisted at as well. It will not go through unless you are accepted.