Accidentally gave false information in secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Altrstate

Reaction score
I have an interview coming up for two schools. In my secondaries for both schools, I mentioned that I was going to be a coauthor for a journal featured in Nature. I was under the impression that the journal was already approved (because of an email from my PI), however after submitting the applications, I was informed that it was actually still under review. How should I address this in the interview if asked to elaborate about the study and/or article?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up for two schools. In my secondaries for both schools, I mentioned that I was going to be a coauthor for a journal featured in Nature. I was under the impression that the journal was already approved (because of an email from my PI), however after submitting the applications, I was informed that it was actually still under review. How should I address this in the interview if asked to elaborate about the study and/or article?
As a co-author of the paper, you should have no trouble elaborating on the manuscript and the research that led to it. But you would do well to bring up that you were unfortunately misinformed by your PI as to the status of the submission in an email, and that you subsequently learned it is still under review.

Reactions: 3 users
1.) People are typically co-authors of single published work WITHIN a given journal. IDK anyone who publishes an entire journal by themselves (lol, joking). I hope you got that distinction correct in your secondary or it may read a little awkwardly.

2.) Nature is a HUGE journal. Friends of mine who have never studied the sciences a day in their life know about Nature. If you claimed to have been published in Nature or one of its associated journals then you can be sure that the adcoms will look in it. Don't be surprised if some of them think that you stretched the truth a little bit.

In the end...it won't sink your chances, and this was just one secondary out of (i'm assuming) many.

Best of luck, hope you get published.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a co-author of the paper, you should have no trouble elaborating on the manuscript and the research that led to it. But you would do well to bring up that you were unfortunately misinformed by your PI as to the status of the submission in an email, and that you subsequently learned it is still under review.

Obviously, accepted manuscript vs manuscript in review are two very different things.

But, do you think that a co-authorship on a Nature level paper currently in review would still significantly improve one's application at MD schools, as opposed to having an accepted manuscript or something in press?

Status
Not open for further replies.