Accreditation Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebeliever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know some of the new schools don't have their accreditations yet.
Does anyone know anything about the accreditation statuses of
[Midwestern, Incarnate, MCPHS, Midwestern]

Also, which of these schools would you recommend and why?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Thank you!

They are all bottom tier programs, for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't go into any optometry program if I were you, but I'd especially avoid one of the new programs like the plague. Grads from those places will have an even steeper battle to fight than new grads from established schools. Not what you want to hear, but that's reality.

They are all bottom tier programs, for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't go into any optometry program if I were you, but I'd especially avoid one of the new programs like the plague. Grads from those places will have an even steeper battle to fight than new grads from established schools. Not what you want to hear, but that's reality.

I think it's mostly baseless for people to make claims against the curricula of newer schools. What are such claims founded on, other than silly supposition?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's mostly baseless for people to make claims against the curricula of newer schools. What are such claims founded on, other than silly supposition?

I know quite a number of faculty at several of the new schools. Off the record, they've told me that the curricula are disorganized and often headed by very junior faculty (some only a year out of residency.) When you have an ocular disease or pediatric course developer who is fresh out of residency and no experience in writing course material, you're most likely not going to get a coherent program for that topic. Aside from that, a couple of senior faculty I have spoken with at one particular school told me the quality of the students in their program was dramatically lower than that of the programs they taught at previously, and that this seemed to be the case in some of the other new schools.

Clinical training programs, as a rule, will have a lot of kinks and problems when they start up. Faculty who are absorbed from other, established programs, will not have the luxury of simply using their old course material, since it belongs to the previous college. It has to be written from scratch, and that task seems to be going disproportionately to junior faculty. This is not something that is inherent to private, new schools, but it does seem that new optometry programs seem to be comfortable with assigning some of the most critical tasks to faculty with little or no experience.

New programs are new programs. That doesn't change the fact that we now have 22 programs, 5 of which have sprung up in the last few years, and we're creating ODs at a rate that is probably 3x what's needed. So, as I said, all optometry grads will be facing an enormous uphill battle, which will only get steeper as these new schools start to crank out product, but those graduating from the newest programs will have a steeper hill to climb.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thank you!

2 Questions

1) I know the earliest schools can be accredited is when they graduate their first class. For Western, that would be this year (2013). Do you know when each of the other unaccredited schools will graduate their first class?

2) If I get into Western and I have to decide whether I want to go there before they announce whether they are accredited or not, isn't it very risky to go? Because if I accept and their accreditation request gets rejected, I will be attending a school that had their accreditation rejected, and a degree from there will be useless?

Or am I missing something? When they say they are pre-accredited, does that mean they are guaranteed accreditation after they graduate their first class?

I currently am a third year student at Incarnate Word. The program did have a few kinks in the beginning but as every year passes I see the school developing quite nicely. Of course my opinion is biased.
Being private, tuition is expensive ($14,500 per semester). Class size is around 68. We have Dr. Conner from SCO. And Dr. Rabin who is a genius. Yes some of the faculty are recent grads from UHCO or SUNY but overall the school is a decent one. We will be accredited for sure this May with the 1st graduating class. The accreditation committee visits from time to time and so far every thing is going well. I see this school becoming a mid tier opto school in 5-10 years.