Accused of Cheating - Beat the Case but how do I answer these secondary questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

To keep this short, I was accused of violating the student honor code. Obviously, I did not do it, and I beat the case. In fact, the case was dropped before it reached a hearing. However, in the meantime, my transcript has had an I* (Incomplete) on it. I submitted to AMCAS at the start of the month and got it verified, with the I* just sitting there.

The grade is going to be changed to an A shortly, but I am going to have to resend in the transcript and make an updated grade change request.

For secondaries that say "Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals. " Should I mention why I have an I? Or just state that there was an error with the grade and it will be updated to an A shortly? Please help!!

For example, is it better to say...

1. "The professor had an error with grading and took a while to finally update the grade. I will receive an "A" shortly."
Or
2. "I was accused of violating the honor code. Of course, I did not violate the honor code as I hold academic integrity to a high standard. The case just got dropped as all evidence pointed to me being innocent. The grade will be updated to an "A" shortly."
Which do you think sounds worse or better? I would obv correct the wording/phrasing before I submitted

Members don't see this ad.

"I would like to take this opportunity to update a grade on my AMCAS application that was marked as "Incomplete". The name of the course is [Insert Course Code + Course Name] and was taken [Insert year and term]. The grade I received was an "A"."

Reactions: 11 users
"I would like to take this opportunity to update a grade on my AMCAS application that was marked as "Incomplete". The name of the course is [Insert Course Code + Course Name] and was taken [Insert year and term]. The grade I received was an "A"."
Sounds like a solid answer. Will probably use this almost word for word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I’d lean towards a less-defensive version of #2 - just give the facts.

I feel like the issue with this is that, without the updated transcript, there’s no reason to believe the given grade. Why was it incomplete to begin with if you’re getting an A?

Personally, I’d lean towards a less-defensive version of #2 - just give the facts.

I feel like the issue with this is that, without the updated transcript, there’s no reason to believe the given grade. Why was it incomplete to begin with if you’re getting an A?
Would saying there was an error with getting the grade finalized sound bad? That's sort of what I was thinking... the course finished 2 months ago... I feel like I sort of have to explain it. Not sure if delay in grade finalization would throw adcoms off

Would saying there was an error with getting the grade finalized sound bad? That's sort of what I was thinking... the course finished 2 months ago... I feel like I sort of have to explain it. Not sure if delay in grade finalization would throw adcoms off

Saying there was an “error” is untruthful. Don’t go that way.

I guess I don’t know if that’s fully accurate, and that’s where I hesitate. If, say, a letter writer tries to explain on your behalf and tells the story, you don’t want adcoms to think you’re lying about it.

I definitely think an explanation of some sort is needed, because otherwise eyebrows will be raised.

One "I" in light of the final outcome is not a big deal. No explanation is needed. Stick to a more succinct version of the script provided:
But only if the final grade has been recorded.

Reactions: 4 users
Saying there was an “error” is untruthful. Don’t go that way.
I guess I don’t know if that’s fully accurate, and that’s where I hesitate. If, say, a letter writer tries to explain on your behalf and tells the story, you don’t want adcoms to think you’re lying about it.

I definitely think an explanation of some sort is needed, because otherwise eyebrows will be raised.

One "I" in light of the final outcome is not a big deal. No explanation is needed. Stick to a more succinct version of the script provided:
But only if the final grade has been recorded.

How does this sound?

"In the Spring of 2019, I was wrongfully accused of an honor code violation in [Course Code/Name]. The accusation was dropped before a hearing was even reached as there was proof of innocence. As a result, my grade has been noted as an I* in the meantime. The grade was recently updated to an "A" and will be updated on my AMCAS application shortly."

How does this sound?

"In the Spring of 2019, I was wrongfully accused of an honor code violation in [Course Code/Name]. The accusation was dropped before a hearing was even reached as there was proof of innocence. As a result, my grade has been noted as an I* in the meantime. The grade was recently updated to an "A" and will be updated on my AMCAS application shortly."

As @Catalystik said, it's best to wait until the grade gets changed.

Stick to a more succinct version of the script provided.

I had a small feeling that the script I provided was a bit wordy..... I couldn't help but put in the course code/name and year/term taken to make it easier for the ADCOM to find! It's my southern hospitality :oops:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's just proper etiquette to wait until the grade is completely finalized.
The grade was changed to A as of today. It will take probably a week for the grade to be updated on AMCAS though. If I do not submit my secondary until the grade is updated, do I even have to write about this?

The grade was changed to A as of today. It will take probably a week for the grade to be updated on AMCAS though. If I do not submit my secondary until the grade is updated, do I even have to write about this?

AMCAS never changes grades after verification. I think that's why some people on this thread may have been confused.

Incomplete usually either means that the student could not complete the course under understandable circumstances or that there was an error and/or delay in grading (which is technically OP's case). I don't think anyone is going to question it.

Reactions: 2 users

How does this affect your official sGPA and cGPA?

Incomplete usually either means that the student could not complete the course under understandable circumstances or that there was an error and/or delay in grading (which is technically OP's case). I don't think anyone is going to question it.

Sure - but then you shouldn’t bring it up at all, and just wait for an updated transcript. I wouldn’t bring attention to the I by writing anything in that box unless you’re willing to explain.

There is no need to discuss this unless specifically asked.
Albert Einstein Med specifically asks about any I's on transcript. Advice? If I wait til the grade is updated, do I need to write about it?

And for the other part, just do not even mention it unless there's a specific prompt like Einstein?

Albert Einstein Med specifically asks about any I's on transcript. Advice? If I wait til the grade is updated, do I need to write about it?

And for the other part, just do not even mention it unless there's a specific prompt like Einstein?
Then you answer truthfully.

This question explains why there is a CARS section on MCAT

Then you answer truthfully.

This question explains why there is a CARS section on MCAT
Lmao bro.. you gotta get passive-aggressive and waste your time when all you had to do was type "No." I'm on here for help, have some patience jesus christ.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Lmao bro.. you gotta get passive-aggressive and waste your time when all you had to do was type "No." I'm on here for help, have some patience jesus christ.

The reciprocal is true - Goro, gyngyn, and other adcoms are here to help. The least you could do is bother to take your time to actually read their answers carefully; not doing so while demanding more answers from them is disrespectful at best.

The reciprocal is true - Goro, gyngyn, and other adcoms are here to help. The least you could do is bother to take your time to actually read their answers carefully; not doing so while demanding more answers from them is disrespectful at best.
That'd be like an advisor getting mad at me for asking a clarification question. I didn't demand help from him at all lmao. He came onto MY thread on his OWN WILL. He came onto my thread where I sought help, and considering the MULTITUDE of responses with differing opinions, clearly there was some reason for debate and clarification. Demanding more answers? He could just not answer them? All he had to do was type "No." Stop justifying it or he will stay on his high horse

That'd be like an advisor getting mad at me for asking a clarification question. I didn't demand help from him at all lmao. He came onto MY thread on his OWN WILL. He came onto my thread where I sought help, and considering the MULTITUDE of responses with differing opinions, clearly there was some reason for debate and clarification. Demanding more answers? He could just not answer them? All he had to do was type "No." Stop justifying it or he will stay on his high horse

Goro already answered your question once before on post #18 in this thread. Then you asked again. Hence, his reference to CARS.

Reactions: 3 users
Justifying the abuse LMAO. Thanks for your help, now I know how to answer these questions. Have a pleasant day.

If you think that Goro's response constitutes "abuse," then you're in for a rough time in medical school and in life, in general. I hope a mod closes this thread soon.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Imagine calling an adcom "bro"

*shudders*

Since the question was answered more than clearly by several people, including adcoms, and since we gain little from further discussion, I'll be closing this thread.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.