ACEP conference - worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjbodean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an allopathic MS4 with borderline step 1, good increase on step 2 finishing my first EM rotation. Will I see any value in going to Las Vegas (other than the obvious) to attend ACEP conference in October? One of my attendings seemed to think it could be of use to meet people from other programs.

What say thee SDN academic EM people?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You would mainly be going for the residency fair. I felt like it was helpful to scout out programs that interested me. It also gives you a chance to show tangible interest in specific programs and learn some specific things you like about a program when trying to convey why you want to interview/match somewhere. It's far from crucial, but if you can swing it you can have a good time and gain a marginal benefit from going.

Reactions: 2 users
You might get something out of it, but don't expect anything in particular and you won't be disappointed. I made connections that helped me with collaborations on certain projects, for example. Also, it may be interesting to see what else is going on in the world of EM that you may not have been exposed to. Apart from the lectures, I thought seeing all the different things the vendors were selling was kinda interesting. Definitely go to the career fair and try to get involved in the medical student section of EMRA, that could be a benefit. But yeah, don't expect anything concrete because you likely won't get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The residency fair was useful to learn about the various programs out there. I got to find some that I initially would have never thought about applying to. Having been on the other side of the table, however, I can say that attending the residency fair does not give you a leg up in the application process.

Also, get as many free trauma shears as you can pocket.

Reactions: 1 users
It's worth it for the free booze at the parties that all the major staffing groups hold. Especially in Vegas.

It's worth it for the free booze at the parties that all the major staffing groups hold. Especially in Vegas.

And I'm sure the parties will be off the hook. The ones at Seattle were insane. It's humbling how much the CMGs are raping docs to throw fancy parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth going. You can focus on academics, lectures, fun/parties, networking... all of the above. It's all there. It might be a good opportunity for you to check out the residency fair, and you may find some opportunities to get involved in EMRA, your state chapter of ACEP, and other organizations while you're there.

That, and often some of us get together and you can pick our brains in person. And actually, WC's speech would probably be worth it. Hell, the free book is probably worth it. (Disclaimer: I already own it. You should definitely get it.)

Your residency program should be fronting the cost for you to go to at least one conference per year. Tell your program director at attending the conference is vitally important to your education.

I don't think you even need to sneak in. I don't think you have to be an ACEP SA registrant to attend as it isn't part of the official meeting as I understand it.

Can anyone tell me why my announcement thread was locked? Moderated for self-promotion or something? I usually get a PM when something like that happens.