ACEP emailing unchallenged N.P. propaganda

Started by cbrons
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cbrons

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
upload_2016-2-16_22-57-16.png


This is the article they link to: http://www.statnews.com/2016/02/16/nurses-earn-online-degrees/

Here is an excerpt from that article:

Many hospitals, community health clinics, and state policymakers are turning to nurse practitioners to fill that gap. Nurse practitioners have equivalent, or sometimes better, patient outcomes compared to doctors, according to a review of studies from 1990 to 2008. But, contrary to recommendations by the Institute of Medicine, the American Medical Association and other physician groups have fought to restrict nurse practitioners’ autonomy, arguing they don’t have the proper training to prescribe medicine and treat patients on their own.

This "review of studies" comes (not surprisingly) from the University of Maryland School of Nursing and published in "Nursing Economics."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're sending out pro np propaganda to emergency medicine physicians? Noninferiority studies somehow display equivalence? Having minimally higher patient satisfaction scores which are linked with increased adverse outcomes is somehow better patient outcomes? It is like 1984 in here
 
This is typical ACEP, really. There's still a strong contingent within ACEP that believes that residency isn't needed for EM practice. It's not much of a stretch for some within to think NPs will be equivalent, too.
 
ACEP pays a company (apparently bulletin health news which is noted in the picture) to gather news articles that are relevant to emergency medicine and send them to members. I doubt anyone at ACEP noticed this got sent out, let alone condoned the message.
 
From what's given in the screen shot it doesn't seem like they are supporting it. As the person above me noted, seems like just a report of what is happening right now.
 
This is typical ACEP, really. There's still a strong contingent within ACEP that believes that residency isn't needed for EM practice. It's not much of a stretch for some within to think NPs will be equivalent, too.

Huh? What makes you think that? Why would an ER doc or anyone think that a freshly minted MD would be able to practice emergency medicine without a residency. Now if were talking 3 v 4, then I agree I think 4 years is overkill but thats just me. Either way, NPs are good for fast track and even then they still call us over on the main ED side constantly asking questions.
 
Huh? What makes you think that? Why would an ER doc or anyone think that a freshly minted MD would be able to practice emergency medicine without a residency. Now if were talking 3 v 4, then I agree I think 4 years is overkill but thats just me. Either way, NPs are good for fast track and even then they still call us over on the main ED side constantly asking questions.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear that I meant "EM residency".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to mention, ACEP now seems to be owned by EM care and team health based on the number of ads on their publications.

It's interesting private companies have essential bought ACEP.

All your higher ups and well knowns of ACEP seem to be higher ups and well knowns of the CMGs. They have very "non-biased" discussions on mergers and definitions of democracy in ACEP Now.

But now seems to be? I think this was well known in 1992. There was a book about it...

ACEP protects you from the government. AAEM protects you from ACEP.
 
I'm mulling over that blurb... "According to a review of studies from 1990 to 2008".

Just where, pray tell, do they have NP cases with no physician oversight to compare outcomes between...?

... and there's the old joke... How do you hide bad science?

With a meta-analysis.
 
Like Rusted Fox, I let my ACEP membership lapse after residency ended and am not going back.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk