ACEP Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been an ACEP member for a number of years, since I was an MSIII or so. I'm even a fellow. But every year when I write my check (which has been going up, up and up) I really think twice as to whether it is worth it or not. $565 a year plus mandatory state dues (often as high as $295, but usually at least $100) sometimes seems like a lot.

Any long term ACEP members here that have either continued paying dues or stopped? Why or why not?

Maybe I should do AAEM. Cheaper dues and that gets you a conference too. Philosophically I support both organizations and don't ever see AAEM surpassing ACEP in membership and power.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny you should ask. I was just looking at the tab. Man, what's up with this incremental increase! State dues as well! Yikes. Im sure we aren't the only ones out there thinking the price is getting a bit steep! Philosophically, I get the supporting ACEP and our profession thing, but come on, look at the price we are paying. Laws of economics say a bit more of us don't apply this year.

From a pragmatic standpoint, I don't think you need ACEP membership for anything unless you are planning on going to conferences, trying to apply to be a fellow, or just like Annals or their publications, or need a discount at their bookstore (but I find amazon comparable).

Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped it my first year out of residency when they billed me $700 for membership. My career seems to be just fine. I went to Italy instead. Ciao.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally am more AAEM than ACEP in my philosophy of EM. However, my residency makes me a member. I won't pay for it after I graduate since I don't really feel like going to San Francisco in 2011.
Also, them forcibly dropping me during my internship does play a minor part in my decision. I wouldn't

What do you guys think about AAEM? does the FAAEM as automatic when you join mean anything? would you t put the FAAEM on an application or CV, coat? pretty amazing they just make you a fellow without any requirements, but maybe that means it's not worth much. i see a lot put FACEP, but rare to see FAAEM.

Did your program not get your dues in on time or something?

I think McNinja was in the same boat as myself - student member as Med student, but I did a traditional internship, then entered EM residency. During the internship, I got a nice letter explaining how I was not eligible for membership because I was not a med student or in EM training, despite the fact that I was not in a categorical or assigned internship. A little off-putting, as I had been a member as a student for 4 years already...

What do you guys think about AAEM? does the FAAEM as automatic when you join mean anything? would you t put the FAAEM on an application or CV, coat? pretty amazing they just make you a fellow without any requirements, but maybe that means it's not worth much. i see a lot put FACEP, but rare to see FAAEM.
I think being board certified in emergency medicine as a requirement to become a fellow is enough requirement. FAAEM always means board certified, FACEP does not.

I think being board certified in emergency medicine as a requirement to become a fellow is enough requirement. FAAEM always means board certified, FACEP does not.

What of the Journal of EM compared to Annals, quality wise? I know I usually just briefly glance through the annals when it comes in the mail - anything more clinically useful in JEM that might make me want to read it more than on the way to the recycle bin?

A black van without windows rolls up and that's the last we ever see of you.

I've heard the same thing. In fact, I a little nervous that I'm even listed on this thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
Over $800 now -- and if I let them automatically include their recommended NEMPAC contributions, over $1000. I like the ACEP CME tracker but really don't need it any more, so $800... that's a pretty good chunk of a destination meeting or some such. They may lose me by cost.

I dropped my membeship and just write the check directly to Team Health's general fund

Reactions: 2 users
After the USACS fiasco I dropped my ACEP membership, maintained my AAEM membership, and let ACEP know exactly why.

I just don't see value anymore. For $1000 I'm basically helping to support lobbying efforts that benefit CMGs, allowing USACS to keep advertising all over the place, and not getting any CME. They should include free registration to the Scientific Assembly so that I could get a trip and some CME. Other than the CME, I can't think of anything ACEP does that I find uself. For $1000 I'm more than capable of tracking my own CME.

Reactions: 1 users
What good was this CME thing? Did they give you easy CMEs, or just track your existing CME?

(I let my membership expire straight out of residency, have never renewed.)

Anyone who can breathe with their mouth closed can track their own CME credits.

But what about getting to put FACEP at the end of your name?! Surely worth $1000 per year.

But what about getting to put FACEP at the end of your name?! Surely worth $1000 per year.

I know you're totally being sarcastic here, but even the $1000 per year doesn't get you the FACEP designation by itself, there's some criteria that you need to fulfill. Getting FAAEM is way easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixed. Snagged a bunch of free/very deeply discounted CME coming out of residency. It was a good initial experiment, but I can do better cheaper compared to the discounts I'm currently seeing. I'll probably finish my remaining CME over the next couple months and then drop it. I did like the simple enter/sort/display CME tracker but yes, can do just as well with a (free) spreadsheet as needed.

Seriously?

I have never even put those initials behind my name even when I was a member. I don't think anyone has ever asked, care.

Those initials are useless.

Seriously?

I have never even put those initials behind my name even when I was a member. I don't think anyone has ever asked, care.

Those initials are useless.

The number of letters behind a name is inversely proportional to their societal value

The number of letters behind a name is inversely proportional to their societal value
Similar to ribbons on your badge at conferences. Hello, I'm General Noriega, as you can see by all my war ribbons.

Similar to ribbons on your badge at conferences. Hello, I'm General Noriega, as you can see by all my war ribbons.

Guess I know how to find you at ACEP!

I always thought that game was dumb, too. I'm all for screwball humor, but putting a ribbon on that says "Drama Queen" is dumb.

I always thought that game was dumb, too. I'm all for screwball humor, but putting a ribbon on that says "Drama Queen" is dumb.
I'm talking about the real ribbons, not the fake ones. Some people really have a dozen actual positions, or did.

I dropped ACEP after residency. I did enjoy being a member but financially spending nearly $1k a year on a non-essential professional membership is not really advisable while I still have student loans and a mortgage.

I'd like to drop ACEP. Where do those of you who have done so get the articles for the LLSA tests? That's the only reason I've been sticking with ACEP, but it seems like an overly expensive way to get those articles, many of which aren't even needed to answer the questions. I work locums only, so I don't have a group or home hospital to rely on for access to the articles.

I'd like to drop ACEP. Where do those of you who have done so get the articles for the LLSA tests? That's the only reason I've been sticking with ACEP, but it seems like an overly expensive way to get those articles, many of which aren't even needed to answer the questions. I work locums only, so I don't have a group or home hospital to rely on for access to the articles.

HIPPO:EM does an LLSA prep. I'm assuming you'd get access with those...

Llsa articles, really? You can do a google search and find them online for free. ABEM even has online links to some of them on their website!

You also don't need llsa prep - just read the articles and answer the test questions!

Pretty sure ABEM grants access to all of the LLSA articles...unless you mean the cheat sheets and not the actual articles.

Pretty sure ABEM grants access to all of the LLSA articles...unless you mean the cheat sheets and not the actual articles.
No they don't. They do some, and they make a point of saying that as if it's some high and mighty thing. As if I wanted to spend another $40 per article for the other 6.

But those articles can be easily found for free with a google search. So ABEM can eat it.

No they don't. They do some, and they make a point of saying that as if it's some high and mighty thing. As if I wanted to spend another $40 per article for the other 6.

Guess I've just always had access through work and overgeneralized from ABEM's vociferous pat on their own back about the free access. That is a hefty dose of salt in the wound.