ACGME IM Residencies - Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUyankeezfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO med student. I scored a 223 on step 1, then a 240 on step 2 CK. I also scored super high on my COMLEX Level 2 (665). Question 1) How closely do programs look at step 2 if it's submitted on ERAS? Question 2) How many ACGME programs do you think take a good look at COMLEX? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

from what I know, ACGME programs don't give a damn about COMLEX, sorry
most are just familiar with what Step score mean

some programs that are DO friendly might now what to make of COMLEX if that's all you have, but typically if you have Step score they just look at that

Reactions: 1 user
step 2 is very important when applying to ACGME IM residencies. If you look at the PD survey from 2014, you will see that it was actually (slightly) more important than Step 1 when ranking applicants. This is especially true for people like you (and me back then) who have mediocre Step 1 scores. I was told at multiple interviews that they overlooked my pedestrian Step 1 score because I rocked Step 2.

In terms of the COMLEX, I'm sure it varies by program. As stated above, I would assume that if you are applying with both COMLEX and USMLE scores that most ACGME programs couldn't care less about your COMLEX scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind though that step 2 average is around 10 points higher than step 1. So while your score may look a whole lot better you need to put it in context.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think university programs are out of reach for a DO with 225/245 scores?

It's worth a try at some low tier programs. Here is an example of such programs (the poster I was replying to asked about northeast programs but of course you can generalize to other regions):

Your best chance at academic programs in this very competitive region would be: Temple, Drexel, the SUNY schools, NJ state schools, GW

No, but you'll have to apply broadly. As a caribbean grad in 2015 with similar step scores (step 1 a little lower, step 2 a little higher), I applied very broadly and received ~10 university IM invites and matched into my top ranked program.

Your scores will get your application looked at. The rest of the application will get you interviewed/ranked.

I'm a DO med student. I scored a 223 on step 1, then a 240 on step 2 CK. I also scored super high on my COMLEX Level 2 (665). Question 1) How closely do programs look at step 2 if it's submitted on ERAS? Question 2) How many ACGME programs do you think take a good look at COMLEX? Thanks!

I suspect that your percentile for step 1 and step 2 are not that different. Your step 1 score is below average for IM. So is your step 2 score. So, even were programs to look closely at step 2, it's not really going to be that much of a boost.

Most don't care about comlex when you have a step 1 score, and for good reason. Although you scored well on COMLEX, it is not the same cohort that is applying to ACGME programs while step 1 is. So for an ACGME program, it is more pertinent.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind though that step 2 average is around 10 points higher than step 1. So while your score may look a whole lot better you need to put it in context.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yeah, though you have to be careful with standard deviations as well.

For last years graduating class, the Step 1 average (taken in 2013) was 228 +/- 21. The Step 2 average (taken in 2015) was 240 +/- 18.

So the OP went from ~1/3 a standard deviation below the mean to the mean. It's an improvement, but it's not exactly comparable.