Acid Base Strengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drzakisadiq

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to tell strong acids and strong bases? What to look for?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain to me how to tell strong acids and strong bases? What to look for?

You basically have to memorize the strong acids/bases:

Strong bases:
NaOH
KOH
-not going to write them all out but if you see a metal from group I or II you can assume its strong

Strong Acids:
HClO4
HCl
HBr
HI
HNO3
H2SO4
-These are pretty much the strong acids

If you memorize the strong ones you know which ones are not strong and therefore you can assume they are weak...thats basically all you need to know

once youu have these memorized you will be able to apply this knowledge to questions related to salt acidity which you will find in the destroyer.

There are a lot of tips, including memorization as mentioned before, to know if an acid is strong or not. Some tips on relative acidity: the more stable the conjugate base is, the stronger the acid.

Write down your acid, and deprotonate. If there are resonance structures for this conjugate base, it is stable ----> meaning, strong acid. The more resonance structures the CB has, the stronger the acid. Also, the more electron withdrawing groups the CB has, the stronger the acid.

Electron withdrawing groups help stabilize the negative charge on the CB. EWG= halides, CO2, NO2, etc.

More electron donating groups make it a weaker acid. EDG= alkyl groups, anything with a lone pair