ACOM vs ATSU SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooltree5

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACOM
Pros
- new facility
- sim lab seems really amazing
- lower tuition costs that include an iPad and MacBook air ($50k)
- seems to be invested in your education and help you a lot when you're struggling
- lots of auditions for residencies
- established rotation sites
- really amazing faculty in general
- community of students seem very happy and supportive of one another

Cons
- Alabama is not my first choice of place to live

ATSU SOMA
Pros
- 1+ 3 allows me to live near my home now
- 1+ 3 gives me flexibility to be with my s/o who is also in medical school
- faculty also seems really supportive and amazing
- 3D anatomy lab seems really cool helpful
- technically a more established school
- more public health focused vision. I think it really aligns with what I want to accomplish later in life, thus would be a wonderful network of people to have

Cons
- there is more independent learning involved than other schools (you have your CHC people, but other than that, you don't really have a full class size to form study groups and what not)
- a bit more expensive $56k ($1k technology fee + $55k tuition)

I'm leaning towards ACOM as a school in general but I really think ATSU SOMA is a wiser choice in terms of geography. I'm really torn, as I think they're pretty equally good in terms of pros/cons. I'd love some input from people at these schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The flexibility of location, being more established and the networking opportunities for public health make it seem like AT Still is the better choice.

The flexibility of location, being more established and the networking opportunities for public health make it seem like AT Still is the better choice.

I find the “flexibility of location” to be a con in my opinion because all that means to me is that I have to move yet again, making it twice in less than a 12 month period. Lots of stress and money. I personally like the idea of setting up camp in one location as long as possible

Personally, I would agree and not want to move either but the OP considers it a pro lol To each his own I suppose