ACOM vs. CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasnh

Reaction score
Hey, guys! So I know this thread has been done already in the past, but in light of the new cycle, I thought I'd start a new one so that I'm not spamming the people from the old one. I recently got into both schools, and they both have some great things going on for them, but they're so similar that it's been especially tough for me to choose.

ACOM

pros
  • Students have great things to say about the quality of their rotations
  • Great match list
  • offers vouchers for board exams from what I've heard
  • Borders my state where I kinda want a residency in the future
  • only has a 60% attendance policy
cons
  • don't know about the quality of their research
  • mandatory wolfpacc review (I don't particularly mind it now but I don't know how I'll feel towards it in the future)
  • still developing residencies, but have a couple in the nearby hospital
CUSOM

pros
  • For a newer school, they have a well-developed research lab and are already working on some research. The school is also close to the Research Triangle (and I don't mind having to reach out myself for research opportunities)
  • Has quite a few established residencies in-state and are pushing for ACGME accredited residencies (if memory serves me right)
  • has pretty great board scores
cons
  • 80% attendance policy (but I plan on attending most of my classes anyway so mandatory attendance isn't much of a disincentive)
  • haven't heard much about the quality of their rotations
  • strict business casual dress code
  • Not sure if they pay for or offer vouchers for boards.
Final Thoughts

Honestly, I'm on the fence about even conducting research in medical school, but it would be nice to have the option if I decide to do so in the future. Also, I'm mostly interested in primary care, so both schools are very good in that regard. At this point, the most important thing for me is the quality of their 3rd and 4th year rotations and how much time they give you to study for boards, so if anybody who goes to these schools can give me more information about that stuff, that would be great! I've also been offered an interview at DMU but I'm not sure if it would be financially savvy to go to that one since I'd have to fly there. Thoughts?!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to say, having been in school this year, and finding my learning style, attendance policies suck.

I have to say, having been in school this year, and finding my learning style, attendance policies suck.

I have heard a lot of students say that, and that is a fear of mine, but I'm mostly willing to overlook it depending on how well the classes are taught, which I know that I then run the risk of having a crappy lecturer and being stuck in the classroom all the time.

I’m also choosing in between these 2 schools. Have you made a decision yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava I ended up canceling that interview. I hear great things about DMU, but as a Floridian, I don't think I could handle Iowa's winters for 4 years lol.

@MeG. I went with CUSOM! I figured that board scores are way more important at the end of the day than the long drive or mandatory attendance. Plus, even though ACOM is a great school, I wasn't sure about the required prep course at ACOM.

Reactions: 1 user