ACPE Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcalabr3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two potential colleges of pharmacy opening in the Chicago area - Roosevelt and Rosalind Franklin.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything if they will be granted any official ACPE status? Or is the talk about ACPE raising standard really a bunch of b.s.?

Members don't see this ad.

There are two potential colleges of pharmacy opening in the Chicago area - Roosevelt and Rosalind Franklin.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything if they will be granted any official ACPE status? Or is the talk about ACPE raising standard really a bunch of b.s.?

Its bs. Acpe won't stop new schools from opening. There are already 3 schools in Chicago. Not sure how/why they would open more besides to prey on naive students. A lot of new grads had to move to miwaulkee just to find work. If I have a position open in Chicago, 4 years from now and have 100 applications for that 1 position, I would just throw out all applications from the 3 schools that haven't been around very long.
That is the only way to stop new schools from opening... Don't hire any students from them. Let the students default on loans then the schools can't provide loans and thus close their doors because it's not profitable to supply an affordable education.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can only wish that they raise the standard.

Seven schools applied for pre-candidate status from ACPE this past cycle.

Only three got approval for site visits: Roosevelt, Rosalind Franklin, and Western New England College. (For all of you haters out there, the University of South Florida got turned down.)

Just three of seven? It appears to me that they are raising their standards, or at the very least enforcing their existing standards more strictly.

But I've learned that y'all never let the facts get in the way of your pissing and moaning about ACPE and the new schools, so continue by all means.

Only three got approval for site visits: Roosevelt, Rosalind Franklin, and Western New England College. (For all of you haters out there, the University of South Florida got turned down.)

Just three of seven? It appears to me that they are raising their standards, or at the very least enforcing their existing standards more strictly.

But I've learned that y'all never let the facts get in the way of your pissing and moaning about ACPE and the new schools, so continue by all means.

So you think it is a good thing that so many schools are opening? This is a real issue. Seems to me that the only people who are glad that new schools are opening are those that either had difficulty getting in somewhere or don't have the greatest stats- hence the recommendation by many on this forum for those with lower to stats to apply to pre candidate schools. Perhaps you don't realize how serious the surplus problem is becoming. People come on this forum thinking everything is rainbows and butterflies. Although I think that the negativity on this forum is overly represented, the problems that people are having finding jobs is very real. Do you really believe that new schools have the connections, well-experienced faculty, and good rotation sites that more established schools have? We can hope that the schools are not terrible (and they probably aren't), but with lower admission standards and a school's investment in making sure their students pass, do you not think it affects the quality of graduates (on average! - there will always be exceptions)?

So you think it is a good thing that so many schools are opening? This is a real issue. Seems to me that the only people who are glad that new schools are opening are those that either had difficulty getting in somewhere or don't have the greatest stats- hence the recommendation by many on this forum for those with lower to stats to apply to pre candidate schools. Perhaps you don't realize how serious the surplus problem is becoming. People come on this forum thinking everything is rainbows and butterflies. Although I think that the negativity on this forum is overly represented, the problems that people are having finding jobs is very real. Do you really believe that new schools have the connections, well-experienced faculty, and good rotation sites that more established schools have? We can hope that the schools are not terrible (and they probably aren't), but with lower admission standards and a school's investment in making sure their students pass, do you not think it affects the quality of graduates (on average! - there will always be exceptions)?

That persons a school admin, of course they are fine with more schools opening. I do hope that the ACPE is enforcing there standards though. I dont think its bad to have a few new schools open every couple years (or 5-6 years) but the current rate is a real problem that looks as though it wont be fixed until its too late, and i hope im wrong.

That persons a school admin, of course they are fine with more schools opening. I do hope that the ACPE is enforcing there standards though. I dont think its bad to have a few new schools open every couple years (or 5-6 years) but the current rate is a real problem that looks as though it wont be fixed until its too late, and i hope im wrong.

Not all school admins are happy about new schools opening up- trust me on that one.

Let's not confuse the issue here- I was talking about ACPE enforcing their standards, not whether or not a new school is necessary. Only three of seven schools getting site visits, and Saint Joseph not opening as planned- it seems to me that somebody at ACPE is paying attention.

BTW, I see that you are USN-Utah...that's kind of new school, eh?

Not all school admins are happy about new schools opening up- trust me on that one.

Let's not confuse the issue here- I was talking about ACPE enforcing their standards, not whether or not a new school is necessary. Only three of seven schools getting site visits, and Saint Joseph not opening as planned- it seems to me that somebody at ACPE is paying attention.

BTW, I see that you are USN-Utah...that's kind of new school, eh?

Yes it is, hence why I said I dont see a problem with new schools opening every few years (5-6 years). I am a benificiary of a "newer" school and Im greatful. But that doesnt mean Im all for 3-5 schools opening per year. Like you said, this was mor about the ACPE and becoming accredited, not necessarily the opening of new schools.

Well museabuse, in four to five years remember me :) I'll hopefully be a graduating from UIC in 2015

*crosses fingers*

Ugh, great. Two out of the three are in Chicago. I guess Rosalind Franklin at least has a decent reputation, but Roosevelt is a complete joke. Pretty much another California Northstate.