Attending candidacy status program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aocampo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. The opportunity to attend West Coast University School of Pharmacy starting fall 2017 has suddenly been made available to me. However, I haven't actually applied to any program, I was researching pharmacy schools in California and opted to receive information about the program via email. Shortly after I received and email stating students were still being accepted for fall 2017. I was planning to attend starting fall 2018 since I am still working on my prerequisites for the program, I made them aware of this but they still offered to accept me this year. This could be an awesome opportunity but I'm a bit wary due to how I came about this offer. This program is in candidacy status so I haven't been able to find much information about students, professors, faculty, etc. If anyone could give me some advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This could be an awesome opportunity but I'm a bit wary due to how I came about this offer.

If your gut feeling tells you that something is too good to be true then absolutely listen to it.

There are too many pharmacy schools especially in the SoCal area that charge an arm and leg for tuition and not enough students to fill their seats. West Coast University is widely seen as one of the diploma mills who will accept anyone with a pulse that is willing to sign away $200k+ in student loans. Smart students are choosing not to go into pharmacy due to the lack of jobs and low job satisfaction. By going into pharmacy, you risk graduating with a ton of debt and unemployed.

There are other professions that offer better job prospects and job conditions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that do not require to take out an astronomical amount of loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

How in the world they would offer you acceptance even though they know you won't finish your prerequisite by the time of enrollment? This has violation written all over it; and if the school is this desperate to fill the class, it is very sad for pharmacy education.

Members don't see this ad :)
How in the world they would offer you acceptance even though they know you won't finish your prerequisite by the time of enrollment? This has violation written all over it; and if the school is this desperate to fill the class, it is very sad for pharmacy education.

Wow. Pharmacy has gotten so low it's giving people seats who dont even qualify for the requirements. This tells you everything there is to know about the profession. Can't believe people still want to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your comments and insights! I definitely should listen to my gut.. and just the way this offer was presented to me was enough to waver my faith in the career. I ultimately wish to go into medical research, I graduated last year with a B.S in biochemistry, so I'm sure I can get there regardless. Again, thank you all for your insights!!

Thank you all for your comments and insights! I definitely should listen to my gut.. and just the way this offer was presented to me was enough to waver my faith in the career. I ultimately wish to go into medical research, I graduated last year with a B.S in biochemistry, so I'm sure I can get there regardless. Again, thank you all for your insights!!

This say nothing about the profession and everything about that school. Good Applicants are hip to the diploma mills and expensive schools and are simply applying else where. Not just that but all the good applicants are heavily hunted by state schools and other schools with good reputations, so it leaves the not-so-good prepharmers with the mills.