ACPE Withdraws Accreditation of Pharmacy Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always thought ACPE's bark was far worse than their bite.
No longer.

Withdrawal of Accreditation:
Hampton University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program: Accreditation withdrawn (appealable).
Standard cited in this action to withdraw accreditation:
Standard No. 17: Progression.
Standard found to be partially compliant:
Standard No. 24: Assessment Elements for Section I: Educational Outcomes.
The program is expected to implement its submitted Teach-Out Plan that covers Classes of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

SUNY-Buffalo and Chicago State got put on probation as well.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 10 users
SUNY Buffalo?!!!

SUNY Buffalo has the best PKPD modelling program in the nation, with prominent profs like William Jusko, and is put on probation??? Just WOW

Members don't see this ad :)
glad to see this - surprises me, but I wonder if this will be like when UNC (the school as a whole, not the pharm school) had their accreditation put on probation - where you know it won't be taken away, but causes them to get their house in order. I know it is only a N of 2, but i have interviewed two of their grads in the years past, and they woefully underperformed, almost to the point of embarassment. So not sure if that was just two bad apples, or an indication of their education,

Would only help our profession if we shut down some of these schools - but that is just beating a dead horse.

Yeap. Heard about this teach out getting put in place.

A teach-out plan is a written plan that provides for the equitable treatment of students if an institution of higher education ceases to operate or ceases instruction at one or more locations that provide 100% of at least one degree program or in one or more degree programs before all students have completed their program of study.

The question is does Hampton "sell" their students?

Reactions: 2 users
A teach-out plan is a written plan that provides for the equitable treatment of students if an institution of higher education ceases to operate or ceases instruction at one or more locations that provide 100% of at least one degree program or in one or more degree programs before all students have completed their program of study.

The question is does Hampton "sell" their students?
didn't charleston do something like that with WVU?

didn't charleston do something like that with WVU?
Not to my knowledge. UofC is seperate from WVU. Usually if a school has an affiliation agreement with another school then there might be some options. It will be interesting to see who Hampton wants to play ball with or better who wants their students because a school is going to want to cherry pick only their top people.

Reactions: 1 user
SUNY Buffalo?!!!

SUNY Buffalo has the best PKPD modelling program in the nation, with prominent profs like William Jusko, and is put on probation??? Just WOW
I never got why UB always liked to brag about their PK/PD modelling so much... How relevant is that to the average pharmacist?

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
glad to see this - surprises me, but I wonder if this will be like when UNC (the school as a whole, not the pharm school) had their accreditation put on probation - where you know it won't be taken away, but causes them to get their house in order. I know it is only a N of 2, but i have interviewed two of their grads in the years past, and they woefully underperformed, almost to the point of embarassment. So not sure if that was just two bad apples, or an indication of their education,

Would only help our profession if we shut down some of these schools - but that is just beating a dead horse.

Under-performed in what way?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is only the first of many schools that will be closing. Good luck to any affected students.

Last edited:
They can appeal or sue like they did 10 years ago but they were just put on probation then and this is a withdraw so anybodys guess to how it plays but if teach out is being floated on ACPE website then I'm guessing that is what Hampton has told them that is what they are doing.

They can appeal or sue like they did 10 years ago but they were just put on probation then and this is a withdraw so anybodys guess to how it plays but if teach out is being floated on ACPE website then I'm guessing that is what Hampton has told them that is what they are doing.

I don't want to upset anyone with my post.

It’s SDN, we thrive on upsetting people.

If you or anyone else wants to DM me and I’ll repost it under my name, go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hampton has been on probation for a better part of a decade, we can't be surprised.

Chicago State, overall, is a very weak school. The school, itself, has major structural problems. Its freshman class is under 200 students and has one of the lowest graduation rates of any 4 year insitution. Student enrollment has dropped by half in the past decade from about 8000 in 2010 to about 3000 today. They also owe the state a lot of money. The future of that school is cloudy.

Reactions: 3 users
How does ACPE enforce a teach-out? What's to stop a failed program from saying F U?

How does ACPE enforce a teach-out? What's to stop a failed program from saying F U?
SACS among others will be monitoring them because it could affect federal funding of their other programs. ACPE has no weight with Title IV and those lucrative govt dollars.

This is great news! Let's hope they keep doing this.

I never got why UB always liked to brag about their PK/PD modelling so much... How relevant is that to the average pharmacist?

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile
I used to work in PKPD, and everyone knows William Jusko and Donald Mager. William Jusko's pupils are now holding key positions in academia, industry and FDA. UB is like the consensus No.1 internationally in PKPD. The pharmaceutical science program is absolutely top notch, and their PhD grads are highly sought after from pharma companies.

It's a shame to see the pharmacy school to be on probation.

You cannot get licensed if you did not graduate from an ACPE accredited school or have a FPGEC. The previous grads are grandfathered in but no one else.

This school has been on probation for several years. Sending a message to the other schools.

unprepared clinically
lol this genuinely made me laugh. why do we need to be prepared clinically again? lol i mean i think it's great that schools are being held responsible (hopefully this could lead to shutting down some schools) but how do you even measure how clinically prepared you are from a pharmacy school stand point? Most rotations with med students and residents, no one cared about us anyways lol

lol this genuinely made me laugh. why do we need to be prepared clinically again? lol i mean i think it's great that schools are being held responsible (hopefully this could lead to shutting down some schools) but how do you even measure how clinically prepared you are from a pharmacy school stand point? Most rotations with med students and residents, no one cared about us anyways lol

Well, they are the #1/2 lowest NAPLEX pass rates in the US for at about the least 6 years. That's certainly one way to measure it.

Well, they are the #1/2 lowest NAPLEX pass rates in the US for at about the least 6 years. That's certainly one way to measure it.
That just means that the school didn't tell enough students about RxPrep lol hell, I feel like i could've just picked up the RxPrep book in my second year and took the naplex and pass without having to go though all the clinical rotations. we were just being used as glorified techs at most of the rotation sites anyways...

Reactions: 3 users
when a new grad doesn't know basic pharmacology, we don't ask the hardest questions, but it was obvious that these two just didn't have much knowledge.

That just means that the school didn't tell enough students about RxPrep lol hell, I feel like i could've just picked up the RxPrep book in my second year and took the naplex and pass without having to go though all the clinical rotations. we were just being used as glorified techs at most of the rotation sites anyways...

I think that's kind of the point. They probably are recommending it, and even if they aren't, the vast majority of students know about RXprep. The more likely reason is the poor quality of the students they're admitting as well as the poor quality of their classes.

:scared: I graduated from UB

Looks like they plan to fight it out again and appeal.

I think it makes him feel like he is up there with the docs. Every time I hear "clinical" it is just protocols you follow and stuff that dont really matter

I think it makes him feel like he is up there with the docs. Every time I hear "clinical" it is just protocols you follow and stuff that dont really matter

I wouldn't say that. Protocols can only help so much, and it assumes a)the P&T committee knows what they're doing and b) the IT team correctly implements it. And some situations require off-label treatments that they won't be able to approve.

Just to list a couple of examples, thrombin was ordered as an injection for pseudoaneurysm treatment. The pharmacist looked up thrombin in micromedex and it has a blackbox warning when used for injections that it may cause thrombosis when used as an injection. However, the whole point is to cause a local thrombosis at the site of the pseudoaneurysm, but since it's only an off-label use for it, there's still a blackbox warning. The pharmacist rejected the order which led to a delay, which eventually led to the patient being sent to vascular surgery.

Another situation was during a code blue. MD ordered a TPA for PE to be pushed (which isn't on any official guidelines), but the pharmacist didn't know it could be pushed for a PE, and they also assumed it was for a stroke. To make a long story short, there was a huge delay until the TPA was mixed. While the patient probably wouldn't have made it anyway, obviously the delay did not help matters.

:wtf:

Well, if their P1 class is anywhere near the 10 students some folks online have claimed, they'll fold without ACPE action.

Last edited:
I can. It is their only and last move. Question becomes will they beat ACPE twice?

Failed programs can "teach out" and their students can still get a PharmD. That "news" article means jack and Hampton is just trying to spin it