ACT - April 9, 2011

FuturePharmD93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so the ACT is coming up this week...yay *sigh*
I've been taking practice tests and they aren't that great. I got about a 19 :/... I really need help in improving my score. I really try to practice, but with all of my extra school work and tests it's really hard to study and prepare for the ACT. I really want to get at least a 22-25 because that is what I need to get into the college I want to go to. Plus I would just feel really dumb getting below a 22...sooooo PLEASE help. I need tips, especially for the math and science portions. I tend to doze off for some reason, spacing out, and just losing focus during the test...so i was thinking about drinking redbull or a 5hr energy drink before the test..is it a bad idea before the actual test???
Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you guys taking the test this Saturday.:xf:thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like a pretty bad idea to take the ACT now if you're doing so poorly. How often do they offer it? Don't take a test until you're ready for it, and a 19 is pretty bad, honestly.

TheProwler-It really isn't a bad idea because I've had practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying. You can take the ACT 20 times and your lower scores do not count against you. You use the highest score you get. Period. To answer your question, they usually offer it every few months. After the April test, there is one in June. Depending on how well I excel this weeks ACT, I'm not 100% sure if I will be taking it in June. I know people that did not prepare and got 15 or 16s and when they prepared they scored at 26 plus...so do not under estimate that. I'm trying as much as I can to prepare.

It seems like a pretty bad idea to take the ACT now if you're doing so poorly. How often do they offer it? Don't take a test until you're ready for it, and a 19 is pretty bad, honestly.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Prowler is 100% right. If it's just going to get tossed out, why bother taking it? I highly doubt you would make a huge improvement over what your last score was, assuming that a 19 was fairly recent. What he's basically trying to say is don't waste your time/money (most important) if you're really confident. He's just trying to help.

From the way you're talking though you have $1,000,000 to spend so go for it if you feel you're ready.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your input..but I mean It was a practice test, not the ACTUAL ACT. I've never taken it before. I want to take it to see how I do with getting at least some prep. I feel like I've been getting a lot done though. I'm ALOT better in Reading, Eng and Sci... My only main struggle is the end of the Math part, which is the harder portion. Any tips though? That was my main question for this thread :)

The Prowler is 100% right. If it's just going to get tossed out, why bother taking it? I highly doubt you would make a huge improvement over what your last score was, assuming that a 19 was fairly recent. What he's basically trying to say is don't waste your time/money (most important) if you're really confident. He's just trying to help.

From the way you're talking though you have $1,000,000 to spend so go for it if you feel you're ready.

Math isn't my strong suit. I'm not taking the ACT until June.

Good luck Saturday. :)

TheProwler-It really isn't a bad idea because I've had practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying. You can take the ACT 20 times and your lower scores do not count against you. You use the highest score you get. Period.
None of the schools would even look at your other tests? Sure, you can try a few times, but it's a waste of your [parents'] money.

To answer your question, they usually offer it every few months. After the April test, there is one in June. Depending on how well I excel this weeks ACT, I'm not 100% sure if I will be taking it in June. I know people that did not prepare and got 15 or 16s and when they prepared they scored at 26 plus...so do not under estimate that. I'm trying as much as I can to prepare.
Don't overestimate your own abilities.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your input..but I mean It was a practice test, not the ACTUAL ACT. I've never taken it before. I want to take it to see how I do with getting at least some prep. I feel like I've been getting a lot done though. I'm ALOT better in Reading, Eng and Sci... My only main struggle is the end of the Math part, which is the harder portion.
Many people do worse on the real thing, because there's a lot more pressure.

Any tips though? That was my main question for this thread :)
Yeah, don't take it yet. Study like you mean it. Don't waste your parents' money by taking the test when you're not ready for it.

MAYBE I wanna see what it's really like? MAYBE you need to quit thinking I'm a dumb@ss for getting a 19 on a practice, not everyone gets a 36 right away, OH and guess what...I just finished taking my math practice test and guess what I got? a 26! SO MAYBE PRACTICE DOES HELP and MAYBE I'm a little bit ready for that big ACT...OH and maybe you should stop UNDERESTIMATING my albilities :) Yeah sure the colleges look at your other scores, but they see you improved...who doesn't like improvement?! Oh and quit acting like its your own money...??? Maybe I can afford it so I don't see anything wrong with it..40$ isn't going to hurt me, buddy...
ACT doesn't show if you are a good student or not. People get really low scores and have 4.0s. Not everyone is a master at standardized tests. You might be a smart guy and zipped right through it, but some people just have a harder time so quit making me and others feel like we aren't qualified to get the job done.
Pressure? I don't get too pressured or anxious..so definitely not worried. Not feeling cocky, but starting to develop some confidence.
SO...
If your comment back is going to be negative, don't comment at all. I feel like I've been given enough negativity on this thread...

None of the schools would even look at your other tests? Sure, you can try a few times, but it's a waste of your [parents'] money.

Don't overestimate your own abilities.

Many people do worse on the real thing, because there's a lot more pressure.

Yeah, don't take it yet. Study like you mean it. Don't waste your parents' money by taking the test when you're not ready for it.

MAYBE I wanna see what it's really like? MAYBE you need to quit thinking I'm a dumb@ss for getting a 19 on a practice, not everyone gets a 36 right away, OH and guess what...I just finished taking my math practice test and guess what I got? a 26! SO MAYBE PRACTICE DOES HELP and MAYBE I'm a little bit ready for that big ACT...OH and maybe you should stop UNDERESTIMATING my albilities :) Yeah sure the colleges look at your other scores, but they see you improved...who doesn't like improvement?! Oh and quit acting like its your own money...??? Maybe I can afford it so I don't see anything wrong with it..40$ isn't going to hurt me, buddy...
:laugh:

I never insulted your intelligence. Don't be so sensitive. I'm encouraging adequate preparation.

Yeaah yeahh yeahh okay okay...I registered two months ago anyway so it's not like I just don't show up, then that is wasting money ;)

:laugh:

I never insulted your intelligence. Don't be so sensitive. I'm encouraging adequate preparation.

How was the test?

I'm not the OP but I took the ACT because I want to transfer from community college as a lower level transfer.

My opinion:

English-Easy; maybe 4-5 missed

Math: Hard- possibly a 20-22 score

Reading- Easy; I might have missed 1-2

Science: Hard- possibly a 20-22

Can anyone predict what I might have gotten?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
^^^^

If you're estimates are correct you probably got about a 27 composite score.

I didn't know you could still take the test out of high school; that is nice to know. This past Saturday I took the test as well, I am hoping for ~28 composite score. It feels like the act specifically can be a test of mental endurance. Being rushed to do so much with only one break is a real ball buster.

I'm glad you scored great on it ACT. You did what you needed to do and didn't let ANYONE's negative comment affect you, that what true doctors take imo. Over coming those obstacles. Congratulations and you are a role model for others and defiantly encouraged me :)

Nobody said he scored great. And no one was being negative, just trying to offer helpful advice, you're going to need to learn to take others advice to make it.

I didn't find out what I got yet, but thanks for your sweet comment.
I'm glad you scored great on it ACT. You did what you needed to do and didn't let ANYONE's negative comment affect you, that what true doctors take imo. Over coming those obstacles. Congratulations and you are a role model for others and defiantly encouraged me :)

I am in college now, but no matter what garbage hs advisors spew out, the truth is this: the ACT can be learned. Yes, just like piano or a sport.
My experience:
25 in February
27 in March

And for all you right now, look to Fall. Most everyone I knew that took june was too worn out to do better-I even had a friend that needed 1 more pt to get a full ride and she missed it (she got a 30).

I took a 12 sections (timed individually) of the test (about equally divided) over Aug. Then, after each, I checked it and looked to see what I got wrong.

September Result: 31 :laugh:
With my gpa where it was, it helped me get into my 1st choice school.

GOOD LUCK! 36 is the limit :p

I know you already took the exam, congratulations on feeling positive about your results... If you did not get the score you wanted, and are thinking about a retake I'd recommend one book: The ACT Black Book. It isn't one of those back-breaking 22 pound books with 40,000 practice tests and fifteen million pages. It's thin, portable and has ONLY what you need to know. Best 25 bucks in test prep (and no I don't work for the company, lol).

http://www.amazon.com/ACT-Black-Book-Score-Raising-Strategies/dp/1934703834