Active duty non-trad looking for some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MartyMcfly94

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while and doing my research on what other non-trad’s have been doing and have read “Goro’s reinvention” thread and quite a few other threads. But I am looking for a little more input as to what I should do in order to strengthen my application. So a little about me:

Active Duty Navy Pilot
Bachelors in Sports Medicine/Health Science
cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 2.6ish

I have taken most of the prereqs with the following results in my undergrad.

Chem1-D
Chem1 (Retake)- B
Chem2- C
Physics 1- C+
Physics 2-C-
Orgo 1- C
A+P1- B-
A+P2- C
Bio 1- C
Bio 2- C

Reality is... I have a few years left in my service obligation. Just looking to try and plan what the best academic route is. In my research I have found a lot of these SMP programs require an MCAT score which I haven’t taken yet or they require a 3.0 minimum for the career changer folk. I feel like I’m somewhere stuck in the middle between a career changer but also have previously taken the prereqs but need a stronger science resumé in order to convince those adcoms that I can handle the rigors and academics of medical school. Fully prepared and willing to take every single one of those classes listed above over again and strive for those A’s.

This research has led me to thinking a DIY post bacc and a 4 year university would be the most viable option in conjunction with copious amounts volunteer work, shadowing, and grinding out a solid MCAT score. Like I said above, I still have a service obligation so the postbacc or SMP would not he able to likely be started until a few years from now unless doing one class (maybe two) a semester. No hard preference either way DO or MD. Any schools either side show veteran preference or heavy on the non-trad reinventors?

Okay... thoughts? Fire away!

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey bud...Just took a gander. I'm not sure that would be a good fit albeit the admission requirements are less strict in terms of MCAT etc...It seems like they want people with no science background? And the maintaining a 3.5 I can't tell if that refers to the pre req's or while you're actually in the program???

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not entirely sure about the non-science major because they don’t mention it explicitly on the website. My guess is probably as good as yours. The 3.5 is for the required courses listed before matriculation.

With your prerequisites, I am assuming you did all this while on active duty? If that's the case, it seems you may still have a few cards to play with when comparing yourself to other applicants. That said, and not knowing how much time is left on your obligation, I would consider the following:

1) Pay out of pocket for DIY post-bac coursework in a brick n mortar building. When I say DIY, I actually mean pick the courses you will need and not just pay for a specific DIY program at this point.

2) What is your overall college credits with your degree? Depending on how you answer this I would also consider taking the upper science courses in your DIY stage until you hit that 3.0 GPA threshold or at least a strong 4.0 GPA trend for 2-3 semesters worth of science courses.

3) Apply for an SMP (High Risk High Reward): If programs accept you, you must understand that you have to be able to handle the rigors of an SMP in order to go straight to med school or have a great shot of applying broadly with a 3.5 or higher SMP overall grade.

While preparing for all of this, shadow and do community service while keeping the MCAT in mind. You may have a ways, but with your unique military background and a hopeful dramatic 4.0 after-service GPA (with a good MCAT score miles down the road), you'll stand a really good shot at accomplishing what you want.

The good news is med schools aren't going anywhere.

Active duty Army here. Have you looked into the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Military Partnership Program?

Dual Degrees and Specialty Programs | Icahn School of Medicine

Another AD Navy Officer here. Not to derail the thread but I was curious if anyone else had any further information about the Military Partnership program as I haven't seen much information online, such as average grade/scores and acceptance rate for this program, other than on their website.
Just wondering whether to try to apply after deployment or not since they won't allow you to take the MCAT according to the site.

Hi all! Former USNA grad, USMC infantry officer, and current fourth year med US MD student. Feel free to PM questions.

edit: Grammar

Reactions: 2 users
With your prerequisites, I am assuming you did all this while on active duty? If that's the case, it seems you may still have a few cards to play with when comparing yourself to other applicants. That said, and not knowing how much time is left on your obligation, I would consider the following:

I did this at a traditional 4-year university prior to commissioning in the Navy. Roughly 6 years left on the obligation so definitely have a ways to go but want to start planning as appropriately as possible. Not sure if doing some prereqs while I'm still in and possibly going on deployments is a good idea. So leaning more towards obviously waiting until I'm separated and doing it traditionally for a year or two at a brick n mortar building like you mentioned below for roughly about 60-75 credits. Getting a 4.0 in the DIY would put me at about a 3.25 for cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. Any further recommendations here?

1) Pay out of pocket for DIY post-bac coursework in a brick n mortar building. When I say DIY, I actually mean pick the courses you will need and not just pay for a specific DIY program at this point.
I'm definitely leaning towards this as the most viable option and retaking all the pre reqs along with some other upper level science courses like you mentioned below.

2) What is your overall college credits with your degree? Depending on how you answer this I would also consider taking the upper science courses in your DIY stage until you hit that 3.0 GPA threshold or at least a strong 4.0 GPA trend for 2-3 semesters worth of science courses.

My overall college credits with my degree is 139 earned hours at my institution and then 12 transfer (took a summer class to graduate on time and the other 9 were AP transfer from HS). Puts me at 151 credits total. Doing the math, I would only need 3 4-credit lab classes before hitting the 3.0 threshold.

3) Apply for an SMP (High Risk High Reward): If programs accept you, you must understand that you have to be able to handle the rigors of an SMP in order to go straight to med school or have a great shot of applying broadly with a 3.5 or higher SMP overall grade.

The only issue with that is the MCAT which I'm not sure is prudent to take with the fact that my GPA isn't over the 3.0 threshold for most SMPs. So my thinking is showing strength in the basics and a bit of upper level courses is the way to go???

While preparing for all of this, shadow and do community service while keeping the MCAT in mind. You may have a ways, but with your unique military background and a hopeful dramatic 4.0 after-service GPA (with a good MCAT score miles down the road), you'll stand a really good shot at accomplishing what you want.

Absolutely will do!!!! Thank you again for all the advice! It is much appreciated!!!!!!!

The good news is med schools aren't going anywhere.

Another AD Navy Officer here. Not to derail the thread but I was curious if anyone else had any further information about the Military Partnership program as I haven't seen much information online, such as average grade/scores and acceptance rate for this program, other than on their website.
Just wondering whether to try to apply after deployment or not since they won't allow you to take the MCAT according to the site.
Hi Sir!
There’s not much info about the partnership program online. I however did give the program a call and got some good information;
• Program started 2017 with 3 applicants and all 3 got accepted, 2018 had 16 applicants 4 interviewed and 3 accepted.
• Average SAT for those accepted 600-700 each section. Essay not mandatory.
• One year of science class (chem, bio, or phy.)

I hope this helps. I have a good bit of science classes including my Army MOS 68K(Med. Lab. Tech) training and was told I should go the traditional route of application. The partnership program might be for those who are starting out.