Activities for the summer before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneTyme

Kickin' it ol' school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I figure I should get an Anatomy book, buy my own cadaver, and start memorizing now. While I'm at it, I'm going to get some self taught biochem action going and maybe work on histology.

NOT.

How about remodel my house and do a bike race from the US/Canada border to the US/Mexico border? Sounds more my style.

What are you guys going to be up to in 'the last summer of our young lives'?

Members don't see this ad.

Working at Home Depot getting paid minimum wage, being treated like crap from convicted felons that are apparently my supervisors... fml:(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trans-siberian train. Moscow to Beijing - Japan
Take meditation classes. Rock climb a lot, since there are no hills in New York City

So I figure I should get an Anatomy book, buy my own cadaver, and start memorizing now. While I'm at it, I'm going to get some self taught biochem action going and maybe work on histology.

NOT.

How about remodel my house and do a bike race from the US/Canada border to the US/Mexico border? Sounds more my style.

What are you guys going to be up to in 'the last summer of our young lives'?

awesome!!

P90X!

I'll put up a link for the subsequent you tube video showin off my hot new bod before matriculation! (It's mandatory)

P90X!

I'll put up a link for the subsequent you tube video showin off my hot new bod before matriculation! (It's mandatory)

Um... yes please.

Actually, I am planning to spend part of my summer preparing for medical school. I will also be traveling a fair amount, but I do want to spend some time getting a head start so the first year of med school is not as intense.

I have never taken anatomy, so I was planning to get an anatomy coloring book and work through it. Does anyone have recommendations for a good coloring book, or any other low-key ways to get a head start on med school material?

Um... yes please.

;)

Actually, I am planning to spend part of my summer preparing for medical school. I will also be traveling a fair amount, but I do want to spend some time getting a head start so the first year of med school is not as intense.

I have never taken anatomy, so I was planning to get an anatomy coloring book and work through it. Does anyone have recommendations for a good coloring book, or any other low-key ways to get a head start on med school material?

I remember buying a coloring book when I took anatomy (only colored half of it). Can't remember if I bought mine from my university campus bookstore or Barnes and Nobles but I'm sure any one you find will be alright.

Good to see you're traveling and not just studying all summer!

I'm kinda the same way; Been waiting so long for med school that I just wanna kill it!

Good luck!

Beach. Novel. Beach.

I wanted to get in the habit of thinking academic thoughts & get a jump on studying, but I got a unanimous "Don't waste your time" from the SDN world. Word is, time spent studying before med school is time you'll regret not having enjoyed when you are actually in med school. And they say a summer's worth of pre-med-school studying will be worth one week of actual med school.

Oh, and I'll probably do a little yoga. Maybe some biking. Definitely some hiking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beach. Novel. Beach.

Oh, and I'll probably do a little yoga. Maybe some biking. Definitely some hiking.

Very nice. I won't be at the beach much but definitely yoga and any amount of hiking I can get in.

My friends just laugh at me when I talk about getting a jump on studying for med school but I'm pretty much ignoring that sentiment and gonna do it anyway.

I figure balance is the key thing here. Really hope they don't get to say "I told you so" once things get intense!

I'm definitely of the "enjoy your freedom before school starts" philosophy. Supposedly I'm going on a trip to Rome with the momz, but I'd also like to get in some non-parental-constrained vacation time in.

Yeah. the train from moscow to beijing is long..
I'm doing some coloring as well

im applying this cycle for entrance in 2012...but if i DO get in, next summer will be spent planning a move and staying home with my daughter, who will be 7 1/2 years old and going into 2nd grade by then!:scared: where does time go?!

I'm definitely of the "enjoy your freedom before school starts" philosophy. Supposedly I'm going on a trip to Rome with the momz, but I'd also like to get in some non-parental-constrained vacation time in.

I'm super jealous of the Rome trip. Don't know if I'll ever find time to travel once school starts :lame:

Really sweet you're hangin with the moms. I'm trying to see mine as much as possible before the big move in a few months.

Yeah. the train from moscow to beijing is long..
I'm doing some coloring as well

Anatomy coloring doesn't sound like a bad idea for that kind of ride. Sounds like a cool trip.

im applying this cycle for entrance in 2012...but if i DO get in, next summer will be spent planning a move and staying home with my daughter, who will be 7 1/2 years old and going into 2nd grade by then!:scared: where does time go?!

I'm sure time is going to fly by extremely fast once you start school as well. She'll practically be a teenager once med schools done with.

I will learn some medical terminology, work hard at my full time job, then take a few weeks off on some random vacation before school.

I'm running out of time for the medical terminology though. :)

I don't believe in burning out. This is a 10 year expedition if you want to be in surgery. If you burn out somewhere in year 2 because you started a month or two early, you were never going to make it anyway.

belt.jpg

Put on the belt.

Very nice. I won't be at the beach much but definitely yoga and any amount of hiking I can get in.

My friends just laugh at me when I talk about getting a jump on studying for med school but I'm pretty much ignoring that sentiment and gonna do it anyway.

I figure balance is the key thing here. Really hope they don't get to say "I told you so" once things get intense!

Good book:

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Medi...r_1_29?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300330246&sr=1-29

51aAejUryzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Words and pronunciations are important and easy to learn. And you can make flashcards (or just download them from people who've made them).

Try to simultaneously enjoy the freedom of time with my family, work, and maintain a flavor of medical studies. So far, so good.

An awful lot of people say not to pre-study. I dunno. I had a good experience doing it for post-bacc work, and I am doing it for M1. Not overly intense. But another iteration thru the material can't hurt and I like what I am learning.

Happy Spring! It is finally gettin' here in Chicago.

peace
sp

How about a one month spanish immersion program? Good to speak another language. Plus it is fun and only costs $2K for an entire month in another country

How about a one month spanish immersion program? Good to speak another language. Plus it is fun and only costs $2K for an entire month in another country

I like the way you think

$65. Ouch.

Flashcards are free to download online.

Somehow I don't pay attention when I buy educational materials. Kind of like, "oh, I'm spending 200k on this, what is another $2,000 for books."

Maybe that's the wrong attitude, who knows. :)

Flashcards are free to download online.

Somehow I don't pay attention when I buy educational materials. Kind of like, "oh, I'm spending 200k on this, what is another $2,000 for books."

Maybe that's the wrong attitude, who knows. :)

No, I agree. Said the same thing myself a number of times.

Working at Home Depot getting paid minimum wage, being treated like crap from convicted felons that are apparently my supervisors... fml:(

even though this is old, I know exactly where you are coming from. I worked Night shift at Lowes', supervisor was always functionally drunk.

My wife and I are buying plane tickets to Singapore sometime in January, and plan to come back to the US from the other direction a few weeks before classes begin. We'll figure out any more details than that as we go.

Never going to get the chance to bum around Asia again, right?

P90X!

Yes. Pics (or vid) or it didn't happen! ;)

I'm staying with my job until the last minute (a week before orientation), working on cranking out a few research papers, and trying to enjoy NYC before I move far away to a tiny city up north.

I'm working on a NYC bucket list- things that I've always wanted to do or things that I've wanted to revisit. Right now, most of them are food-related. Guess I gotta branch out. It's a good excuse to get me out of the house. When I'm feeling anti-social, like, "Do I really want to round people up for this?" then I remind myself that these opportunities won't be around much longer. I'm not regretting this amped-up social schedule. Also, I'm making sure that I spend time with friends, trying to plan small trips to see folks in nearby cities that will be harder to reach once I'm up north.

I finished my undergrad in '99, and my MPH in '01. I've only taken one science class since then. I'm a little nervous about re-training my brain to memorize crazy volumes of information. There's a temptation to start practicing that, but I'm going to try to be strong and resist. That, or go to a ton of pub trivia nights, and tell myself that's a start.

Last edited:
Yoga. Moving. Hang with the kiddos. More yoga. Hang with the husband till he goes back overseas. Read. Beach. Read. Drink white wine on the patio and relish the heat. Oh, and sleep as much as possible, study just a little (I am kinda freaked about biochem!), and go see m.f.ing Harry Potter! It's going to be a busy summer. :cool:

I'm working on a NYC bucket list- things that I've always wanted to do or things that I've wanted to revisit. Right now, most of them are food-related. Guess I gotta branch out.

Haha... most things I can think of that would go on an NYC bucket list are food-related. Well, there should be tons of tourist-y things to put on that list, since New Yorkers never do tourist-y things. ;)

Non-food-related, some things that would probably go on my list include catching a US Open match at Flushing Meadows, riding the A train out to the Rockaways...and sneaking into Gramercy Park. :smuggrin: There's probably also a ton of urban exploring I'd love to do. Don't know that I'd be daring enough to go through the subway tunnels, but I think it would be cool to check out Hart Island somehow.

I've heard that "The Anatomy Coloring Book" by Wynn Kapit & Lawrence M. Elson is pretty good from the current M1s at the school I'll be matriculating at this coming fall. I just got it & I've been slowly working though it, nothing too intense...I'm actually having fun, I haven't colored in a looooong time :)

I'm thinking around the horn... Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia.

Should be nice.

Haha... most things I can think of that would go on an NYC bucket list are food-related. Well, there should be tons of tourist-y things to put on that list, since New Yorkers never do tourist-y things. ;)

Non-food-related, some things that would probably go on my list include catching a US Open match at Flushing Meadows, riding the A train out to the Rockaways...and sneaking into Gramercy Park. :smuggrin: There's probably also a ton of urban exploring I'd love to do. Don't know that I'd be daring enough to go through the subway tunnels, but I think it would be cool to check out Hart Island somehow.

Sneaking into Gramercy has been on my list for years! I used to sneak up on the highline, before the renovations started. i think that scratched that itch for me. it was a glorious scratching. the rockaways! especially fun to bike or bus to that end that the trains doesn't go to. i forget the name- but there's one section near jacob riis, at the foot of the bridge that's particularly lovely, and faetures a milkshake truck.
are you a new yorker?

Sneaking into Gramercy has been on my list for years! I used to sneak up on the highline, before the renovations started. i think that scratched that itch for me. it was a glorious scratching. the rockaways! especially fun to bike or bus to that end that the trains doesn't go to. i forget the name- but there's one section near jacob riis, at the foot of the bridge that's particularly lovely, and faetures a milkshake truck.
are you a new yorker?

I was, in a former life. *sigh* Did my undergrad there. So much city and so little time.

If you make it into Gramercy, take pictures. :)