Adcom asking for your screen-name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just tell them your're NickNaylor/ColeontheRole

Members don't see this ad.

If you have nothing to hide, then there should be no reason why it should be a big deal.

I'm so confused about this eggplant thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
well if they did I'm screwed as I'm using this one since my other account got banned for 2 weeks and I troll frequently. However, it would be very weird to nitpick about this stuff

As tired said, worry more about Facebook. Tagged pictures and profile pics of someone they can identify as an applicant doing a keg stand will hurt much more.

You can make your Facebook private. No such option on SDN.

You can make your Facebook private. No such option on SDN.

There are programs that can get around that. My facebook is somewhat private, but a company I work for had seen everything on it before I was hired.

There needs to be some secret sign to identify SDNers on the interview trail.

There are programs that can get around that. My facebook is somewhat private, but a company I work for had seen everything on it before I was hired.

Probably because you had your privacy settings to "Network" instead of "Friends Only." If your privacy setting for everything is "Friends Only," like it should be, then it is literally impossible (unless they think it's worth it to try to hack yours or your friends' accounts) for them to see anything on your facebook page.

Probably because you had your privacy settings to "Network" instead of "Friends Only." If your privacy setting for everything is "Friends Only," like it should be, then it is literally impossible (unless they think it's worth it to try to hack yours or your friends' accounts) for them to see anything on your facebook page.

Mine is Friends Only and always has been. The only reason I found out is cause the VP flew in from Chi-town and knew my name, so I asked our regional manager like wtf? And he said that before I ever got hired the VP checked my facebook (like all employees who have one). I said it's private, he said they get around that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is Friends Only and always has been. The only reason I found out is cause the VP flew in from Chi-town and knew my name, so I asked our regional manager like wtf? And he said that before I ever got hired the VP checked my facebook (like all employees who have one). I said it's private, he said they get around that.

He's lying to make you paranoid about what you put on there. Facebook is a billion dollar corporation and, while they don't care about selling your information to advertisers, they know that their userbase expects the privacy settings to actually work. Obviously he would know your name, but he could not see your wall posts or info. And, if he did "get around it," I'm pretty sure that's a serious invasion of privacy/hacking suit that could be brought.

He's lying to make you paranoid about what you put on there. Facebook is a billion dollar corporation and, while they don't care about selling your information to advertisers, they know that their userbase expects the privacy settings to actually work. Obviously he would know your name, but he could not see your wall posts or info. And, if he did "get around it," I'm pretty sure that's a serious invasion of privacy/hacking suit that could be brought.

That is very probable. At the same time, if you google someone's name their facebook pictures come up, so I'm not sure exactly how private you can be even with the most private of facebook settings. Still, you are probably right about him lying.

If you are really paranoid you can do the temporary account disable. It removes your account from any existence. And just do so for the duration of what ever application process you are currently under.

Basically your account will simply not appear regardless of your privacy settings, almost as though you do not even have one.

You can also simply change your name temporarily, remove the profile photo, etc. There is so many thing you can temporarily change that will remove a lot of traces back to you.

Basically, just as you kind of fake your identity here, you can do the same on Facebook. Heck, you can even put up lies on your Facebook, talk about stuff that you actually did not do. Lie about volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Facebook is still part of the internet, anything can be a lie.

There are programs that let you bypass the whole "friends only" "allow certain people only" thing, my boss has one and has shown it to me. There are also companies out there that archive millions of profiles every few months and then sell the info to employers. That's just how the world works

There are programs that let you bypass the whole "friends only" "allow certain people only" thing, my boss has one and has shown it to me. There are also companies out there that archive millions of profiles every few months and then sell the info to employers. That's just how the world works

I'm curious to see these programs...

See, that's the thing I never understood. Why say something in a public forum on the internet that you wouldn't say in a public forum off the internet?

Because race car?

That sounds massively illegal.

I really don't buy this at all. Facebook would get sued big time if other companies were profiting off of data they are contractually bound to keep secret, especially without their knowledge.

Someone once identified me by my SDN name while I was in a coffee shop studying for the MCAT:

"you wouldn't happen to be that sisterdisco person on SDN would you?"

":| ...................."

most definitely would not tell... especially considering i frequent the lounge a lot. i say some stupid **** in there

Someone once identified me by my SDN name while I was in a coffee shop studying for the MCAT:

"you wouldn't happen to be that sisterdisco person on SDN would you?"

":| ...................."

How is that even possible. Do you have 'sisterdisco' branded paraphernalia?

I just don't care. Some of my comments are sarcastic/mean, but it's how I am in real life. Point is - if you're horrified/worried about people figuring out who you are on SDN, it means you need to stop hiding behind a keyboard. Everything I say on here I've said in person repeatedly. People in real life know my SDN handle and vouch for it. I don't see the paranoia... unless you're hiding who you are. Which case - :thumbdown:

How is that even possible. Do you have 'sisterdisco' branded paraphernalia?

Obviously. Want some?

ha, breadcrumbs I guess? We struck up a conversation: UMich 3-year grad, neuroscience BS, study for the mcat at caribou coffee (obviously not practice tests), almost got into fsu last cycle. Ha, all things that i'd mentioned on SDN...annnnnnnd then he called me on it, ha

Who doesn't?

:cool:;)

See, that's the thing I never understood. Why say something in a public forum on the internet that you wouldn't say in a public forum off the internet?

This. It would be very easy for an adcom to know who I am on SDN based on my MDapps, because I put a lot of information in there. I've thought about editing it, but then I remember how helpful other peoples' MDapps have been for me, and I hate it when people make an MDapps and then don't even put useful information in it because they want to "be anonymous". I stand by everything I've posted here, and I wouldn't write something in an internet forum if I was going to be embarrassed about it later. I'm not mean to other people, the worst I do is make a lot (and I mean A LOT) of dirty jokes.

If I had to say my name out loud it would lead to loads of embarrassment. Just think about it, "I-H-O-P" "ness." :laugh:

I loled. :laugh: :laugh:

That sounds massively illegal.

I really don't buy this at all. Facebook would get sued big time if other companies were profiting off of data they are contractually bound to keep secret, especially without their knowledge.

I think this is just paranoia. I've seen several people make that remark, but no one has ever pointed towards a legitimate source where they got this information. I think this is one of them innernet rumors.

I've already been identified by one of my future classmates. *shrug* I don't say anything here I wouldn't stand behind.

Hopefully I will never find anyone in person that is a member here or any message board i frequent. My personality online is often a drastic contrast to the one I express in person. Basically, I would need to do some explaining if I was ever questioned about my internet self.

And while I wouldn't mind standing behind it.....It just might be quite awkward to say the least.