Adcom asking for your screen-name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeoGer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During a medical school interview, have you ever been asked what is your Student Doctor screen-name? Any horror stories about forum activity biting someone in the butt?

Members don't see this ad.

During a medical school interview, have you ever been asked what is your Student Doctor screen-name? Any horror stories about forum activity biting someone in the butt?

:laugh:. I guess I wouldn't mind, since I don't troll and I rarely post controversial or inflammatory statements. However I might be embarrased by my posting frequency. :oops:

Not from an adcom. I was identified at multiple interviews before I changed my name. It was always awkward.

You should never be the first one to bring up SDN in real life. In fact, I just wouldn't talk about it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)

You could always say you don't have one.

I ask that, but only for fun after the interview.

Definitely going to donate & go through my posting history before applying :)

just say you don't have one????

I'm not asking, "Oh my gosh what should I do if an adcom asks my username!!!?????" Just curious if it happens.

EDIT: Just saw that you're 17. I'm mad I responded.

I've never had this come up and if it did, I would say, "SD-What?"

Not from an adcom. I was identified at multiple interviews before I changed my name. It was always awkward.

You should never be the first one to bring up SDN in real life. In fact, I just wouldn't talk about it at all.

Was it awkward because you'd hear people whispering, "He makes me feel like a sophomore in high school. He's totally 'on a roll'."

Pfft. Wear it proudly. Just don't be a tool.:)

SDN is one heck of a site, but I don't want to be found out and have admissions and program applications compromised. But I'll keep your advice in mind and though I may not mention SDN to my peers, I will pass on any useful info I get from here to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is one heck of a site, but I don't want to be found out and have admissions and program applications compromised. But I'll keep your advice in mind and though I may not mention SDN to my peers, I will pass on any useful info I get from here to them.

Huh? Compromise what?

Many schools have begun incorporating into their secondaries an automated search to match up email address with SDN handles... If you've been a jerk on SDN, make sure to use a different email address for your secondaries.

trollface

:laugh:. I guess I wouldn't mind, since I don't troll and I rarely post controversial or inflammatory statements. However I might be embarrased by my posting frequency. :oops:

Embarassed? By YOUR posting frequency?

The first rule about SDN is that you don't talk about SDN.

Everybody does it... it's just that no one talks about it.

Many schools have begun incorporating into their secondaries an automated search to match up email address with SDN handles... If you've been a jerk on SDN, make sure to use a different email address for your secondaries.
trollface

Trolololol

I will just say that I am NickNaylor and just take my acceptance on the spot.

As in be rejected from a school or a program like a research program simply because of something I posted on SDN.

See, that's the thing I never understood. Why say something in a public forum on the internet that you wouldn't say in a public forum off the internet?

or spam enough so that reading all your posts is too much of a chore ^^

/thread

or troll so hard that you get banned and they cant look up your posts.
but then again you wouldn't want them to know that you got banned from a site helping future doctors

See, that's the thing I never understood. Why say something in a public forum on the internet that you wouldn't say in a public forum off the internet?

Because in real life I may get beat up for saying the things I really want to say, and I'm a pansy.

I would still say everything I say on SDN in real life, but I would be more professional and polite about it.

This is the internet, there are no rules - duh.

...then maybe you should learn to keep those things inside.

I do. In real life. But I don't have to keep those things inside on the Internet. Why should I?

Right, if UMich is any indication.. SDN isn't very favorably looked upon among adcoms. And considering the sometimes-insane degree of speculation and trolling that goes on here at times, it's somewhat reasonable why they might have such preconceptions.

schools all know about SDN. it's no big deal. at one interview the dean actually brought it up.

some schools openly have adcom employees monitor their school specific thread to address questions or concerns that come up.

you don't have to admit you actively post though. just don't post identifiable information. this includes posting a letter with your name and the school's name notifying your acceptance has been rescinded and then continuing to rant about it before you try to resolve the situation. try to not be a douche in general. even if your comments never get traced back to you, you still have that bad karma hanging around ;)

i do have to say, this past cycle, i returned from the interview sessions to see someone stealthily put an eggplant sticker (signifying they are a SDNer) on their leather binder. i attempted to keep my pokerface to avoid giving myself away. :cool:

I do. In real life. But I don't have to keep those things inside on the Internet. Why should I?

Because while you're busy saying all of these things and leaving various details about your app all over the place (this is a non-specific 'you', btw), you're making yourself easier to identify.

People have said especially stupid things on SDN and been penalized for it. And not via interview, either.

I'm pretty sure I brought up SDN in almost all of my interviews. Most adcoms didn't know about the website and seemed pretty interested about it. YMMV.

Besides, if an adcom wanted to, he/she could easily figure out who I am on SDN.

Pfft. Wear it proudly. Just don't be a tool.:)
+1. That's what I did! Not the tool part though...

Right, if UMich is any indication.. SDN isn't very favorably looked upon among adcoms. And considering the sometimes-insane degree of speculation and trolling that goes on here at times, it's somewhat reasonable why they might have such preconceptions.
Very school dependent. Some like it, some don't. Some hate that they can't control what is said about them. Most don't really care much one way or the other.

You don't have to tell them. But if you are paranoid, don't say anything that you wouldn't say in person. Yes, it is the internet but the internet is pretty much "life" now so may as well get used to covering your ass now.

As tired said, worry more about Facebook. Tagged pictures and profile pics of someone they can identify as an applicant doing a keg stand will hurt much more.

People have said especially stupid things on SDN and been penalized for it. And not via interview, either.

These stories are why I created this thread.

These stories are why I created this thread.
The simple solution would then be to not post anything ridiculously stupid/offensive/etc. If you haven't done that, you won't have anything to worry about it. If you want to troll, why not go to reddit or some other place where adcoms are unlikely to check rather than on SDN? :shrug:

This reminds me of the time when on the Canadian version of this site, around 20 of us organised an MMI practice group and when we all finally met up we shared our usernames. I was treated like a god.

The simple solution would then be to not post anything ridiculously stupid/offensive/etc. If you haven't done that, you won't have anything to worry about it. If you want to troll, why not go to reddit or some other place where adcoms are unlikely to check rather than on SDN? :shrug:

Because Reddit is full of viruses.

schools all know about SDN. it's no big deal. at one interview the dean actually brought it up.

some schools openly have adcom employees monitor their school specific thread to address questions or concerns that come up.

you don't have to admit you actively post though. just don't post identifiable information. this includes posting a letter with your name and the school's name notifying your acceptance has been rescinded and then continuing to rant about it before you try to resolve the situation. try to not be a douche in general. even if your comments never get traced back to you, you still have that bad karma hanging around ;)

i do have to say, this past cycle, i returned from the interview sessions to see someone stealthily put an eggplant sticker (signifying they are a SDNer) on their leather binder. i attempted to keep my pokerface to avoid giving myself away. :cool:

Is this some sort of SDN secret?

If I had to say my name out loud it would lead to loads of embarrassment. Just think about it, "I-H-O-P" "ness." :laugh:

Everyone needs to come out of the SDN closet.

My real name is Samuel Davis Jr.

Someone here used their real name in their MDapps and SDN screen name. He wrote a bad review about his Hopkins interview. The dean of Hopkins medicine came across the negative review and scolded the person for writing a bad review. :laugh: The person was later rejected post interview. He got into many other places so it didn't matter.

Everyone needs to come out of the SDN closet.

My real name is Samuel Davis Jr.

My name is John Doe.

Here's my credit card:

google-card.png

My SSN is 123-45-6789.

I'm out of the closet!