ADcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Persistence101

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can applicants actually get "hooked up" if they know a member of an admissions commitee?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Persistence101
Can applicants actually get "hooked up" if they know a member of an admissions commitee?

Is this a serious question?

Coops

I was just curious if this actually happens

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah a freind of mine was hooked up at a med school cus his interviewer (a surgeon)'s ass was saved during an operation by friend;s dad (anesthesiologist)

my friend decided not to go there, but it is true. This does go on.

My friend got an interview to Johns Hopkins b/c of connections. He was initially going to be rejected previnterview and inevitably was rejected post interview. You'd be surprised how much connections help and occur....

My father knows (and is very good friends with some) members of the adcoms of the major NYC schools. I was debating with myself if i should apply to them because of it. I ended up applying to Columbia/NYU/Cornell/Sinai and AE and was granted interviews at all of them. My father never mentioned to any of them that my brother and i are going through the application process right now.

I am not sure if he did, or if they found it - how it would. I want to believe that they would not review me because they know me or they have connections with me.

I also believe that a story where an adcom member gives you the extra "push" would cause a scandal if it came out. Why would someone risk their career for something like that?

Well the lucky thing is that most, if not all, schools base their final decisions on the votes of adcom members. As a team, there is less biases, even if say one member knows the applicant really well.

However, this is obviously not a perfect process

I think that residency is where the connections are really useful, especially if you're trying to get a highly competitive specialty/subspecialty at a top rated institution.

Most people I know who were "hooked up" because of connections were generally highly qualified candidates to begin with. Knowing faculty got them an interview which in most cases, they aced. I know one person who got into a top rated institution because their family donated millions to the school in the past.